3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Mexico Info  (Read 313 times)

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
New Mexico Info
« on: March 02, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
Gents,

The yearly grind of heavy snow and freezing temperatures has got myself and the family considering a move south to warmer temperatures.

Looking at New Mexico it seems like the weather is good, cost of living is reasonable and there's tons of public land to hunt.

Can anyone advise on the ups and downs to living and hunting in this state? Availability of tags and hunting opportunities as well as job market info and areas to look at would be great.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Mexico Info
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
New Mexico has a draw without preference points. So you can go without hunting for years! I'd look at hunting in Colorado if I lived there.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
Yikes! Is that for ALL game?
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Ross don't forget about Texas   ;)  Or better yet I hear that the folks in Florida are very welcoming to newcomers  :bigsmyl:
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Where's good to look at in Texas Chris? Good public land hunting but not totally isolated is kinda what I'd be interested in.

As to Florida.... I don't know if that's the sort of 'welcome' I'm after.... Lol
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
I feel your pain Rossco, I moved to California 25 years ago. Before that I lived in various parts of Ontario and Quebec. I didn't move here for the hunting!    :bigsmyl:

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
Yep. It's cold. Lol. The southwest has always appealed to me. My wife wants to get away from the winters but I've gotta find somewhere that's as accessible as here for hunting or risk making a move I would regret.
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
New Mexico has over the counter Bear and Lion  and good hunting for both.
 Texas has very limited public land.
I believe NM has more people on welfare then wage earners. Perhaps that would be a good thing if you are in law enforcement.
 Getting to know folks here in Texas has given me the access to thousands of acres of private land for hunting and trapping. I still go to NM to hunt as well.
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
Don't look at the Southeastern states. These are not the states you are looking for. Move along.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
The New Mexico game & fish was controlled by pro outfitters years ago so a 5 day elk season is the norm. Lots of short seasons works perfect for outfitters but sucks for your average resident.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
Well said! Lol

I certainly enjoyed my stay in Georgia last week. I swear, if we had hogs in Ontario I'd give up whitetails....
HHA Half Breed 52@28

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
I shot a cow elk in New Mexico a few years ago, it was -12 degrees with 3 1/2 ft of snow. So it still can be old in the northern part of the state. I've been trying to draw a bull tag for 7 years, a mule deer for 5, javelina for 3, and  so on. I like to be able to get a tag where I live. It is beautiful down there though and I ill keep trying to get back.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 11:13:00 PM »
Here's some pros for our state-
1. Yes, you do have to draw for most everything, but most years you will get a deer tag, and an elk tag perhaps every 3-5 years.  We also have Barbary Sheep, Javelina, antelope, bear, Ibex and Oryx.  
2. The state has a lot of public land, which is available to everyone for nearly free ($10 a year for a habitat stamp).
3. Unlike your country, non-natives don't have to hire a guide to hunt.  
Negatives-
1. Stange folks in the legislature who favor people who are illegal, involved in guiding or don't want to work.
2. Weather can be hot and dry, and then again it can be cold and wet for short spells. Talk is frequently about when it might rain again.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 01:17:00 AM »
There are no jobs here.
Alot of wierdos livin in the desert.
I might be one of em...

I do see alot of elk, I just havnt drawn a tag yet.
I believe I'll be hunting outta state this year.

Offline evilfirbolg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 02:37:00 AM »
I am here in NM. I put in for an elk tag in three units. we'll see. I hunt rabbits and snowboard everyday.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 60" 55#@28"
Black Widow MAII   62" 63#@28"
Ben Pearson Equalizer 48" 50@28"
Samick Sage 62" 35@28"(wife's bow)

Offline evilfirbolg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 02:38:00 AM »
Bear Kodiak Hunter 60" 55#@28"
Black Widow MAII   62" 63#@28"
Ben Pearson Equalizer 48" 50@28"
Samick Sage 62" 35@28"(wife's bow)

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
The very high demand units here can be tough to draw but there are lots of good elk units that are not so tough if you are a resident and they still have excellent hunting, some of the best in the country.  Muley populations are struggling but still have some good areas and javelina is almost a guaranteed draw and a very fun bowhunt.  Weather is very nice here but we are in desperate need of moisture in most of the state.  Economy is tough and property values vary greatly throughout the state depends on where you are looking.  Good luck...Shawn

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
I've only visited. Daughter and grand daughter can't wait to get out. Other grand daughter found love there.

Since you are from the north, I think you would find the dry air and climate pretty hard to get used too.

Since your looking for hunting and warmer Georgia and the like would be a better choice.
San Antonio Tx. Is pretty nice and lots of private hunting south of there. Just have to meet the right people.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Trout Guide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
I grew up and lived in NM for about 35 years,now live just over the border in CO. I agree with scedvm. The hunting in NM can be excellent and you can get deer and elk tags every year if you don't want to hunt the high demand units. The way the NM draw works is very much in favor of residents. You have to apply for the hunts by mid to late march every year. On your application you put down your first choice hunt, second and third. The way I understand it is that you draw the first one of those that still has tags when your name is pulled. There are a lot of elk units that are pretty good odds of getting a tag, the same with deer that have good hunting. Also, NM has some exotics such as Ibex and Oryx which are tougher to draw but great hunts if you do. I love to hunt elk with traditional tackle and I've definitely had some good hunts in CO, but overall I would say the hunting in NM was better due to the limited number of hunters in each unit. Good Luck with your decision.
John 3:16

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
I never plan on leaving NM! 12k+ mountain peaks, snowboarding, great fishing , mountain biking , tons of open space, good traditional archery base, is ya want to live on the city you can but it is also east to be alone. By the way, what kind of work ya do? Cost of living is pretty nice here.
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©