3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where to relocate to for warm weather and good hunting?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline rustyspike

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where to relocate to for warm weather and good hunting?
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
Well there are lot of nice places. I lived on Hilton Head Island SC for over 20 years. Closest public land 4 miles away Archery Only. Ton of pulblic land, Hogs 365 days a year, think deer is now max of 4 per year. When I was there. There was no limit on private land. You did need doe tags. They where cheap. And I was a hour drive from Ray Hammonds Hog Heaven.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/  

Well I am back in Philly now and it aint warm.   :)  

Rich K.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
I've lived and hunted in IN, KS, MO, KY. I've also hunted in WY, CO, MI, AL, and TX.

KY has quite a bit of public land for an eastern state, but I don't hunt it. KY can't compare with western states for lots of public land.

If you aren't trying to completely get out of snow country I'd recommend Colorado for lots of public land, huge diversity of big game hunting opportunity, and scenic beauty.

I would qualify CO a bit these days because it seems that liberal mind-sets are getting a strangle-hold on the state and trying to restrict freedoms of everyone except criminals. I hope CO doesn't become the new California.

In the East I wouldn't live anywhere south of KY because I hate high humidity and I prefer opportunity at larger white-tail deer. In the west I'd be careful about some states due to limited opportunity in lotteries.

Offline parshal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Regarding Colorado becoming liberal, believe it.  I've only been here 15 years and I see more Oregon stickers on cars than ever before.  My buddy moved from here to Portland a year ago and he believes 40% of the population in that city is crazy.  Now that I'm seeing all those stickers out here I'm wondering how many of them are bringing their mess to our state.

The only other place I'd move to right now would be Boise.  It's like a little Denver with everything right on your doorstep.  It's hotter in the summer but not nearly as hot as New Mexico.  And, they get less snow.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
One of the prettiest places I've seen, for a city, is Missoula, Montana. I've had the pleasure of visiting 3-4 times. We even looked at houses once and found the cost of living is 15% lower than KY.

I hear jobs are a bit tough to find though. My "job" would allow me to work anywhere but grandchildren are EXTREMELY effective (and precious) anchors!

Offline Bama Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
Alabama
- great deer hunting (state wide)
- AWESOM FISHING
- hog
- several large management areas
- wonderful people
- Home of Howard Hill
- just a few hours from the the gulf of mexico
- back2back2back2back football championships
- Mild humid weather
"Relax and pick a spot"

Offline hnt2mch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
nother vote for bama!
don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns....

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
What's employment like in Alabama?

Interestingly, for those that suggest staying in Canada - I love this country but the taxes and the liberals have me looking south. The hunting is great though..... Lol
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
I have been to and lived all over the country.  Heck, I've been to more foreign countries than I can count.  Makes no difference.  
The top three places are:
1. Texas
2. Texas
3. Texas

I know there will be those who may disagree.. just my .02
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
Rossco, I live in IL but I have a couple customers in AL that are doing manufacturing. Most are suppliers to automotive and are doing OK right now.

Like I said my Mother in Law lives in Boaz, AL. My wife and I always enjoy visiting her. There are a bunch of outlet stores in Boaz that my wife loves to visit. The last few years I saw a few of these stores close though. My M-I-L said it was the economy so I imagine jobs are iffy depending on what you do like most areas.

I like this thread. I am getting close myself to retirement. My wife is 3yrs younger than me but I think as an RN she could find work for a few years (if she needs to) just about anyplace and I could still retire.

Fun to dream.

Bill
Aim Small

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »
Texas is a great place to work and live, no doubt. Although housing is much more affordable than other parts of the country, as some of the others have said, hunting can be relatively expensive with the comparatively few areas of crowded public hunting land. Most of the state is privately owned, and private landowners charge quite a bit to hunt. Believe it or not, most, if not all, even charge to hunt hogs (ironically, a non-native state-wide pest that's known for destroying and causing lots of property damage). But if you have plenty of money, then you can hunt hogs and most (if not all?) exotics year round to your heart's content!

There's no state income tax, but high property and state sales tax make up for that, unfortunately. Homeowner's and auto insurance are also relatively more expensive than other states, too, from what I understand.

Someone else mentioned Tallahasee. I used to live there in the 80's and early 90's and really liked it. Closest beach is Alligator Point about 45 minutes south. St. George's Island and Panama City are about an hour and a half away. You've got lots of public land just to the south, about 15 minutes away. One thing about the panhandle of Florida, though, is that it's far enough north that the beaches are kind of cold in the winter time. Then again, you're from Canada, so what counts as cold for a southerner like me is probably nice and warm for a Canadian.

And speaking of warm, before you move down south, be sure to visit during the peak of the summer time heat so you know what you're getting yourself into! Tallahassee temps ranged in the mid to upper 90's and sometimes low 100's. Quite tolerable temps in dry climes like Arizona with only 9% humidity, but downright miserably hot in the 90% plus humidity of Florida. Dallas, Texas summer temps are a bit hotter but with slightly less humidity, making them just as miserable. Difference is that Dallas temps never go below 90 til way after midnight. So the only respite you have may be at around 4 or 5 a.m. when the lows average 79 or 80 degrees. Be careful with heat stroke and dehydration, something a lot of folks don't consider when they're not used to the heat. And with the heat come the bugs. I'm not talking just mosquitoes, which are known to carry West Nile Virus and encephalitis here in Dallas, but chiggers, deer fly, ticks, biting gnats, scorpions, fire ants, crazy ants and a whole host of other bugs that come out down south when temps warm up. About the only time they don't come out is when temps go above 100 - it's even too hot for them! I've also lived up north, and just as most folks stay indoors during the cold winters up north, most folks stay indoors during the blistering heat down south! Just something to think about when considering a move to the southern U.S.

Not trying to discourage you with scares of high heat and biting, disease-carrying bugs, though. I'm used to the heat and don't mind it that much. Just get a bit tired of it around September. Most folks acclimate to the heat and get used to it, too. Still not used to all the biting bugs, though.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
Another 10 years of pushing around a patrol car and Im off to Austin Texas to get weird with Willie. Love me some Texas. Ill come back to NY in October, November and maybe even May. Crossing my fingers.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
What is the best compromise state. Not too hot, not too cold. Not too many bugs, and has good diversified hunting and fishing,,,,,,,,,,,and economics are good ????? Is there one ?
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
Huntsville,AL.

High Tech town with most of the major Manufactures in the Defense and Space industry. Along with many other Automotive, Chemical, Electronic, and Communications Companies.  Very affordable living. Airport sucks but great flights out of Nashville two hour drive. Very very hot humid May thru September. Walk to mail box will break sweat but that is the South.  Hunting and fishing great like above post. My challenge to you would be....... see how many Whitetails you can kill at 3 per day.... between Oct 15th and Jan 31st. Excellent hunting in surrounding States too. Also in center of multiple... excellent traditional 3d shoots. PM me if you have any questions I can help you with. Suggest multiple trips winter and summer. I am from Northern Minnesota orginally. Know where you are coming from. Envious of your Hunting in Canada though, everything bigger for sure.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Knawbone:
What is the best compromise state. Not too hot, not too cold. Not too many bugs, and has good diversified hunting and fishing,,,,,,,,,,,and economics are good ????? Is there one ?
NC

Foothills just outside Winston-Salem come to mind. Thurmund-Chatham Game Land is not far away.

Yadkinville. Wineries are springing up all over NC.

Concord. Lots of growing businesses and established businesses and just outside of Charlotte. Home of NASCAR (to me anyway) and lots of NASCAR teams in that area possibly needing a good machinist/ tool-die guy   :)  

I've lived in NC, Louisiana, and Alaska. NC has alot to offer.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
Funny how 90% of everybody is picking the state they live in.    :clapper:  

I hunt primarily in CO, TX, MO, AR, TN, OR & Canada.

I would hate to pick just one state, but would probably go with TX too.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
I hear Arkansas is great too Barry!! It will be a hard choice from the suggestions above. Ask lots of questions and visit before you "Bust a Move".
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
Poisonous snakes down South verses Canada too.  But most snake bites are to those with high blood/alcohol and have Tattoos. LOL.

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
Ozarks. Take your pick of Missouri, Oklahoma or Arkansas. If you like to climb there's plenty of tough terrain to work the quads and lungs.I shouldn't give it away. Very good hunting and fishing. Compared to your winters, mild. Summers are tough mostly, but your centrally located and can easily get away to many other states to escape winters or summers in 14-16 hrs.

Rusty

Additionally: spring fed rivers supply rated by the millions of gallons. trout, small mouth/bronze backs, white bass, stripers.
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Man south carolina sounds good I wish icould move im in ca and the hunting sucks. Good luck with yourmove.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
Arkansas or Missouri no doubt. Somewhere around the Branson, Mo area to Mountain Home Arkansas. Literally tons of game animals and all kinds of good fishing.
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©