3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where to relocate to for warm weather and good hunting?  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Jerry Bellmyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where to relocate to for warm weather and good hunting?
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Would a pension be considered a investment since your spending your money in Canada to live?
Leon Stewart 3 piece TD "Slammer" 62" 54lbs
Black Widow PCHX 60" 53 lbs

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
bowless - yep, me thinks they don't want anyone else to find out about their state.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Never been there, but I would think eastern Tennessee would be about perfect.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
A few years back, I joined my wife on a work event in Miami, Florida, during the month of July. All I can say is, when you have to leave the beach and swimming in the ocean by noon, because the heat takes your breath away, you know it's HOT! LOL

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Jerry, no your pension isn't considered an investment. I think, but am not completly sure, it would need to be a business or farm or similar investment.Call the nearest Canadian counsel for correct details. Canadian govt and Canadians in general are very friendly to legal immigrants.The other option is the 6 months at a time visa. I know retired people who only go out of the country for a day and come right back for another 6 months. A lot more snowbird it and spend the winters down south.The problem with the 6 month thing is you are not a legal resident for hunting elegibility or healthcare.If you are serious it is possible, I know several people that have retired here with full legal status and the best way to find out the rules is to contact the Canadian counsel nearest you. Hope this helps.  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
If we are talking strictly a hunting issue than give NY a spin. We have a long season, in my parts I can Hunt Whitetails from Oct 1 to Dec 31st. Plenty of time to get out and have fun.
But it is an expensive State. The State Gov't isn't very hunter friendly I will admit. Cost of living is high, much higher than anywhere else, but the State does have a lot to offer. There is a reason why tourism is booming in NYC. For the size of NYC the crime rate is very low. And all you need to to get 1 hr away from NYC and there are is damn good deer hunting.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Can't imagine why no one has mentioned New Jersey ?, could it be that just because we are the most populated state in the nation, nah, could it be because we have the highest taxes ?, nah, could it be because they love gun owners ( O.K. so I'm lying a little ) nah, could it be because we have some of the most polluted air in the country, nah, worst traffic, worst roads ?, corrupt politicians ?, highest cost of living ?, occasional hurricane ( Sandy ) and that the Gov't said they will send aid and help fast, nah, or could it be that they are trying to keep it a secret that we have more deer per square mile than any other state and that you can hunt from September to the middle of February ?, so what if the deer live in people backyards, just shoot them when the kids are at school.

I HATE THIS PLACE, I NEED TO GET OUT TO SAVE WHAT EVER SANITY I HAVE LEFT !, JUST FOUR MORE YEARS TO GO.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
Think the best way to get to canada, Is move to hong kong then apply from there.  heheeheh. Think hard to get to canada on a pension,
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2013, 12:25:00 AM »
When I retire I'm going to spend my winters in Texas. Hopefully by then they'll be their own country!
Lots to do there. I love it and the people are so friendly. Coming back here for fall tho!!!!!!!    :bigsmyl:
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
Canada does have a TON of stuff to offer the outdoorsman, that is true.

I'm getting burnt out by the taxes, the politics and the winter (in that order) though. Really sick of working until mid-June before the money I earn is mine rather than the tax man's.... Particularly when you see all the freeloaders getting a cushy deal.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
Funny how no one mentions Illinois as a retirement destination.  We are such a dysfunctional state I cannot wait to get out!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
I've not read all the response yet so I can give an unbiased opinion.  If I ever get to retire, we are moving to Arizona.  Any type of weather or hunting you want within 4hours    :thumbsup:

Now I am going to go back and see what everybody else said    :thumbsup:

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
Northern Arizona.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
I've never been to northern Arizona and am wondering if that area may have an almost perfect climate like what you might find in southern California, except without all the traffic, smog, high taxes, crime and extremely unaffordable high cost of living of southern California.  I've been to southern Arizona plenty of times and have found it to be very scenic. The winters are awesome, but the summers, especially in areas like Yuma, are even more brutally hot and life-threatening than the southeastern U.S. I kid you not, it got up to 124 degrees one day near Yuma. The lows were never below 100 for about 3 weeks straight. Yeah, it was a dry heat, but once it goes past 105 or so, it doesn't matter how dry it is, it still feels like an oven when you go outside. One plus, though, is that I never got bit by any mosquitoes, chiggers, deer fly, biting gnats or anything like that! I'm sure they have their share of desert scorpions, but I never saw any, though.

I'm guessing that northern Arizona would be much more hospitable in the summer time? Don't know what the hunting or trad scene is like, though.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
I believe most critters in Arizona are by draw and even residents have a difficult time drawing certain species?

I remember hunting elk in eastern Arizona one morning at 24 degrees.  That night at 11:30 in Phoenix it was a 102 degrees!  Like a warm oven!...a very warm one!   "[dntthnk]"

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
I'll add another vote for NC.  However, if I was coming from Canada, I would stay in Western NC.  The ssummers aren't too bad, and they have a true four seasons.

Another advantage of NC is year around canoeing.  I just spent a week on the Lumber River.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
Nobody has mentioned Virginia yet.  My nephew lived there for a few years and liked it alot...not too hot, not too cold I here.  Not sure about cost of living or hunting opportunities (a.k.a. public land), though.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »
I'm looking at Northern Georgia, near lake Lanier. Maybe the Gainesville area. I have been down a few times to visit my daughter and her husband and now my first grandson. I like what I see, Can hunt hogs and deer...a turkey now and then and some decent fishing also. Weather seems pretty good and a lot of other things to do. Not to far from the mountains yet an easy drive to the ocean also.....a move is in my future.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Redfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2013, 12:19:00 AM »
Where else can you go where it's 93 one day and within hours its in the low 30's  :)

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
Tennessee! Tons of public land, tons of deer and turkeys, long seasons, and liberal bag limits. There are also bears, and hogs in east TN. You should look at middle TN to be specific around Nashville. My favorite place in the world.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©