3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Kodiak  (Read 427 times)

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Kodiak
« on: March 03, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
I swung by the Compton Convention in Kansas City yesterday, I tested quite a few bows and I have to say I was very impressed with Bear's remake of the '59 Kodiak.  It's light, smooth and pretty. It shot very well for me. I like the overall look and feel of the bow. When I saw what a great job Bear has done with the '59 remake, I realized how unAmerican I would be without a Bear bow in my collection! I felt a little ashamed of myself.   I better get one before my wife notices that I don't have one!    ;)

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Kodiak
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
The entire line of Bear bows on display were impressive. The Rep that had the display knew his stuff about the bows.

I could easily see a new Bear in the stable.

bretto

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
Lynn I will let you know what I think of them after I shoot mine that's coming this week....... :)
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »
very cool stabow!  look forward to pics of it.  I would like to shoot a new 64" Grayling Green Super K to see how it does
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
just picked a Kodiak 45 @ 28" .   Very nice bow, smooth to shoot, seems to launch 525 grain aroows pretty well too.

Offline cowpie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
Hawk I had the same problem as you. My 1st bow was a fiberglass bear red fox. After shooting a 59er at the kazoo show here in mi. I felt I needed a bear back in the rack. Big Jim sent me a beauty the other day.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
I just received my new 59 Kodiak in 45# from Big Jim and my overall impression was excellent.  Grain in the riser wood of bolivian rosewood was very nice with dark swirls and some character.

I thought it was very quiet shooting some 2016's w/o silencers on the string and it put the arrow right where I was looking with authority.  It feels a pound or two more than 45# and that's just fine.  

The leather grip was good and not near as bad as some of the reports had  indicated.  I put on my Montana pitch blend and it changed the color just perfectly for me.

Overall, the bow rates a 9.5 on my scale of 10...and will be a keeper I believe.
Lon Scott

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
One thing I was wondering Lon is what tone those leather grips were when they were new 54 years ago...they may not have been much different from the current ones

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
My only issue with the new 59 Kodiaks is what I regard as poor leather work on the risers.  Looks like a 5th grader put them on.  I tried one at the KY TradFest but wound up taking a sweet little Cheyenne home with me.  Just to avoid being "unAmerican" by not having one Bear on my rack.  :D  The little Cheyenne is a pretty impressive bow and a great length for shooting from blinds (another handy excuse to buy it....even if I don't own a pop-up blind).  :saywhat:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
I have never tuned a bow with a feather rest before and I am finding that interesting in comparison.  Any hints?

D.P.

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Hawk:
I realized how unAmerican I would be without a Bear bow in my collection!
I don't know if it still is or not, but Bear was originally a Canadian company wasn't it?
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Arkansas Osage:

I don't know if it still is or not, but Bear was originally a Canadian company wasn't it? [/b]
Nope. The earlier bear bows had a Canada patent number on them but that is all.

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
Got one ordered from 3rivers, waiting patiently.  Didn't ask  how long it'll take, anyone heard?  Only the second brand new trad bow I've ever bought.

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 01:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by tuscarawasbowman:

Originally posted by Arkansas Osage:

I don't know if it still is or not, but Bear was originally a Canadian company wasn't it? [/b]
Nope. The earlier bear bows had a Canada patent number on them but that is all. [/b]
Ah, good to know. Thanks.
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 06:19:00 AM »
They are beautiful Bows, I have not shot one yet, its a little hard to find one that is left handed.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Dave Pagel:
I have never tuned a bow with a feather rest before and I am finding that interesting in comparison.  Any hints?

D.P.
Set the nock point and shoot it.  It's just an elevated rest that's much more forgiving than the flat wooden shelf.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
That is pretty much where I ended up.  It just seems so strange to have my nocking point where it is.  I typically shoot off the shelf and like that shelf cut close to my hand.  I will try this for a while, but I may end up back on the shelf with a rug rest or simple piece of leather.

D.P.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
I have a '61 model Kodiak. I think it's a '61, it has the green glass. Anyway I have a feather rest on it and it is different. I've not gotten real good arrow flight yet although I've really not shot it that much. I'm thinking of going to the old reliable Bear weather rest. Maybe this summer I can get it tuned in. That is if I can pry the '69 Super K 64" out of my hand. That bow is by far my favorite and the smoothest shooting bow I own.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
The feather rest compresses on release due to downward pressure. I'm usually about 5/8" above the shelf.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online jr1959

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
Trap,  Should I set my nock point at my regular 5/8 while the arrow rests on top of the feather rest or do I have to consider the compression.  I have a lefty on order with Big Jim.   JIm
'59 Kodiak 45# Gainesville 60" LH
Jim Hoker Woodspirit Bows 60#, 55#, 48#
Fox Royal Crown 62” 44#
Fox Longbow 66” 40#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©