3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help me decide on a back quiver  (Read 374 times)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Help me decide on a back quiver
« on: March 03, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
I am a bow quiver guy. I just like having the arrows handy and not messing around with something else slung over my shoulder.  That said I have two new bows, an old K-mag, and new whip.  Both are so light that a bow quiver and arrows throws the whole feel of the bow off for me.  So now I want to find a back quiver that holds the arrows securely, will be compatable with my Torgues seat slung over my shoulder when I sit ground blinds, or strap to my summit climber when I use the trees.  I have traditionally carried a haversack for gear like gloves, calls, saw etc.  Thinking cat quiver and get rid of haversack, but open to opinions.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Help me decide on a back quiver
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
I use bow quivers mostly, but have a number of friends who speak very highly of their Safari Tuff quivers.

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Cat quiver works well for me. Depends a person type of hunting. Am not big on bow quivers, but there times they work the best.
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
Mike I have a safari tuff I can send you to try out before you invest in one if you want. Just shoot me a text, wish we could have met up last weekend at the shoot.

Tyler
Tyler C. Moore

Offline donw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
what i normally do is to have a light weight quiver on my bow for broadheads only. the biggest i have is for 5 arrows.

that still leaves the bow light enough to handle and shoot well and yet offers fast access to a broadhead when needed.

the rest of the arrows i carry, field points, blunts, practice broadheads, go into a back quiver.
i was told by a sales person, when purchasing an out-of-date newpaper that it was out-of-date...

i told her "i've been told i'm out-of-date, too"...

does that mean i'm up-to-date?

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
Thanks Tyler.  Probably cheaper to mail it than meet up. Will you need it for turkey season?
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline dabprice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
Call Big Jim (229-420-5669) and find out about his "Quiver On A Stick".

It's not quite available yet but it will change how many people carry arrows for hunting.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
I use all types of quivers depending on the situation. My favorite is the back quiver. I just like the lightness of bow, nothing swinging forward when you stoop, arrow capacity, and comfort.

I make my own from medium stiffness leather so it conforms to my back yet still keeps its shape, I never lose an arrow when bending over. The length is short enough to make arrow retrieval effortless.

Most people who don't like back quivers have never had a good one. A lot of them are made from hard thick leather, are way too long, and the strap is not set right or is too long.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
I think the only way to determine which back quiver will(might) work best for you is to try different ones. Go to some archery shoots and try every one you can. I think back quivers look cool with trad bows but they so uncomfortable and impractical for me so I don't use one. Instead I use either a Stalker style side quiver or a GFA style side quiver. I shoot selfbows and don't like a bow quiver but on my Treadway longbow and my Jennings recurve I do like a bow quiver. I just never shoot either of these bows anymore.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
thanks Pat, I tried a version of a GFA style I made from an old hip quiver.  I found I always had it in the wrong spot as I was sneaking through heavy brush.  Maybe I put ti together wrong, but I found myself GFA style quiver challenged.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
I have a Steve Catts back quiver that I like really well for 3D but for hunting,especially carrying stands and other stuff its hard to beat a Safari tuff Arrowmaster.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
What you fellows are calling back quivers are not what I think of when I hear "back quiver".  Here is my definition:

The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
I use a bison fur quiver sometimes for small game hunting/stump shooting.  Medium thick leather helps to conform to your back but still be stiff enough to be rigid for the traditional back quiver style.  My next quiver will be ordered soon from Scott T. as a graduation present to myself for completing grad school and will be designed to be used as either a back quiver or side quiver by adjusting the strap.  Then I'll be able to use either it or my Kanati for all situations.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »
I use a Catquiver2 for deer and turkey hunting. Carries my arrows and all my gear. I hang it from a screw in peg when I'm in a treestand and wrap the waist belt around the tree. I'm going to add the Catquiver hip pack to it this year for turkey hunting to carry a drink and some more gear.
For stumping,3D shoots and small game I use a Hill style back quiver.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
David Mitchell, yep, that's my definition of a back quiver too.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Consider a hip quiver  I have tried a cat quiver but trying to get it to work with a climber just was too much hullabaloo . I have tried back hip side and bow quivers . Undeniably  I always end up back with a bow quiver.  I have had success with hip quivers and my climber. And after chasing rabbits with my beagle as of late through some of the thickest brush I tried a back quiver hip, and my cat quiver . Again the bow quiver won out. I know what you mean about some bows that a quiver would ruin the balance. If I were faced with that I would give the arrow master a serious look. Good luck hope ya find one you like.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
I just got a Hill Style Jerry hill back quiver and it is really great.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Glad you like it Ron. I use a Howard Hill style back quiver, or a Safari Tuff depending on how I hunt for the day.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Hey bicster.....you sold me a beauty  :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bruinbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
I cant use a back quiver but I saw on youtube a clever quiver that I coppied and made for my self . It is not in the way and you can get thrue the woods without tangling much . Check this out .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©