3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mountain House vs Backpacker's Pantry  (Read 563 times)

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
Mountain House vs Backpacker's Pantry
« on: March 03, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
So, I have read quite a bit on here from folks who use Mountain House freeze-dried meals when backcountry hunting.  I noticed that Bass Pro also sells a brand called "Backpacker's Pantry."  I am assuming this may be the store brand, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone tell me how the two brands stack up against one another?

Thanks!

Kingsnake

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mountain House vs Backpacker's Pantry
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
Never had the backpackers brand... I have eaten a lot of mountain house meals though! The mountain house meals are great.
Levi Bedortha

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »
Mountain house if you eat to live, backpacker pantry if you live to eat.

My fav's of the BP brand are southwest chicken, sweet and sour chicken and granola banana and milk for bfast. The taste of these surpass anything I've had from mountain house.

Mountain house meal are not bad, but no comparison to backpackers pantry.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
Maybe ill have to try one of those this year... Ussually by the time I sit down to eat la full meal late in the day or after dark I'm pretty sure dirt would be fine  :) . More of a replenish calories thing then dinning experience for me.  The rice and chkn mountain house is what I always eat for dinner and its fine but some of the others are bad
Levi Bedortha

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
A monster put it well. I don't do the breakfast things tho. Seem a bit overpriced for what they are. And oatmeal and or a protein bar usually suffice. REI and Sportsmans Warehouse carry them both. You can't go wrong either way.

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
Both are good (depending on the entrees), but crazy sodium levels moved them from a 'staple' for me to a 'quick grab/go' thing.

A dehydrator and some creativity will provide excellent meals with lower sodium (and other questionable stuff) content and will be cheaper in the long run.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
I tried them both this past month.....I tried a granola and blueberry with milk breakfast from Mountain House...and a jambalaya from Backpackers (it was a no meat version).  The breakfast was great...just add cold water, stir and let sit.

The vegetarian version was okay but even after adding boiling water, stirring, sealing bag and letting it sit...it still seemed not completely cooked...and of course being vegetarian did not have the flavor I was expecting.  Going to try their lasagna next to see if it is better...
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
I'm with Daz, I try and stay away from the high salt and chemical meals, it's going to be a real challenge this season if I get to go elk hunting, I have been looking at making and dehydrating my own meals and hope to test them out this camping season.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
I was going to suggest that njloco.Not that hard to do with a food dehydrator and a foodsaver.

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
I have had both on wilderness hunts when they were all we had for days. Without a doubt MH wins out hands down for me. BP is too spicy with way too much seasoning, on most of their meals. I have found MH to be more than just edible but very tasty! Been on a couple hunts where cooking around so many brown bears was just dangerous and never felt I was missing out with MH.

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
Thanks, all!  I have already purchased a couple of Mountain House meals, so I will pick up a few Backpacker's Pantry and do a taste test.  I'l also check the sodium levels on both.

I do have a dehydrator, so some home experimentation may be in order!

Thanks, again, Gang!

Kingsnake

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
I'm with Preston on this one. I had both and the MH was BY FAR the better of the two. A friend gave me the BP after having a few of the meals. I ended up throwing it away... AWFUL.

I noticed someone else above,liked it. MH for me!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
I prefer backpacker's pantry but I really prefer the Enertia Trail Foods to both of those options in general.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Huh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
Of those that I have tried I prefer MH.  That said there are other options such as  http://www.packitgourmet.com/.

Also, if you want a DIY solution check out the rather extensive freezer bag cooking resources online.  Just search "freezer bag cooking".

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
Definitely try them out before heading to the back country. The MH chicken breast and mashed potatoes downright suck. The MH beef stroganoff is wonderful! I only tried one BP last year. Mainly due to the lack of availability around here. It was a Jamaican jerk chicken and was pretty good BUT was quite spicy, as stated earlier.

I really liked the MH lasagna, beef stroganoff, spaghetti, beef stew. I liked the bacon and eggs at first but a week of them for breakfast was tough on the swallow muscles.

Since last year I have found more BP available at places close by. I do plan to try more of them. The granola one sounds good. I'm certainly looking for something a bit more palatable for breakfast.

The sodium levels really don't bother me. My name is Bruce and I'm a saltaholic. I do understand that some people's diet dictates though.

Buy several and try them at home first. That's my advice.
Romans 8:28

Offline bowkill32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
If you were out for a week and all you had to eat was one of these meals, you would eat it and probably the bag too...
black widow pl2 62 54#27
black creek banshee 60 41#28
bear black panther hunter 52 45#28
samick red stag 60 50#28
Zipper SXT 58" 54@28

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
They are convenient but the salt content is certainly a consideration.Too much salt is never a good thing.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
Another couple of options (although the DIY dehydrator method is a good one):

http://trailfoods.com/index.html

http://hawkvittles.com/

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »
I've eaten MH foods for since they came on the market.  My opinion is they are fuel that doesn't taste real bad.

This year Jason and I are dehydrating our own recipes for our moose hunt with John in Alaska.

Will be using a lot of fresh vegis out of the garden and making high calorie, low sodium meals that actually taste good too.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
I like them both. The breakfasts are filling in the MH. They say it feeds 2 but I eat the whole thing. I can not live off oatmeal even with a good breakfast I am hungry by 8 am and have to refuel. I think I have the metabolism of a shrew!
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©