3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Help With 2014 Elk Hunt  (Read 349 times)

Offline blackpenny

• Trad Bowhunter
Need Help With 2014 Elk Hunt
« on: March 03, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
Well, my wife told me she opened a "40th Birthday Elk Hunt" bank account for me. Yes, I have a great woman. We discussed this last year before we found out our 2nd child was on the way. To my surprise, she didn't write off my trip. Now the hard work begins. I'm a Jersey boy and know absolutely nothing about elk or elk hunting. I returned to traditional gear last season with the goal of being ready to live my dream and shoot a bull with my bow. I took a doe at 20 yards in September. That was my first trad kill in about 7 years.
My question for you all is, where do I start!!! lol.
I have criteria for this hunt.
1. longbow
2. No fences
3. spot & stalk
I realize I will have to hunt a state without points, and I have a brother-in-law who lives in Telluride. He's a bit of a vagabond so no telling if he'll still be there come fall of '14.
Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm excited to say the least. Thanks in advance.
Leon Stewart lil slammer 56" 45@28
Martin Howatt Hunter 64" 50@28

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Help With 2014 Elk Hunt
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
So you are unwilling to come to Canada?
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline blackpenny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
I'd be willing, but to my understanding, that would almost double the cost. no?

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
The few states with OTC opportunities should definitely be your backup plan but although it is a tough draw for a non-resident NM has no pref. pts and very good elk hunting.  Good luck let me know if I can help....Shawn

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
Going solo or with a buddy? Since you have not gone out chasing elk before I would look into a drop camp or guided hunt to up your odds. Or make buddies with some elk nuts and see if you can join their group. there are TONS of options out there so it really depends on what your looking for.
Everyone has a little different picture in their mind of what they want or expect. Now days there is a ton of research you can do online.

Good luck and enjoy the planing and the trip!
Levi Bedortha

Offline blackpenny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »
@bearsfeet. I'm the kind of guy who likes to earn and work for whatever I get. To me it's about the thrill of the chase.  A camp style hunt and covering ground appeals to me. Paying a guide to put me over a watering hole is not my cup of tea.  I would rather earn a spike with blood, sweat and tears over shooting a 400" bull at a fenced in ranch. I'm a solo hunter, but I'm also realistic in the sense that there are times when help is needed. Being thousands of miles away from home in unfamiliar woods and hoping to score in 5 days is not very realistic. I'm aware of that. This may be the only chance I get in the next 20 years to hunt elk, but no gun, no muzzy, no rifle, x-bow or compound for me. A long bow. I hope that helps you to understand what I have in mind.

Offline will_hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 12:22:00 AM »
Go anywhere but here in Idaho. WOLVES! Colorado is your best bet. No real predators. Two friends of mine are two for two over a three year period.

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »
I'm with ya! I'm a solo hunter and have no interest in fenced hunts or sitting on water. I love to call in bulls... Spot and stalk is great to but I really love to call them in. Spots and stalks for bucks hands down though.

I was thinking for your first trip to a new area that
Drop camps are nice because you get into the woods deep enough to get away from most the hunters and almost all the day hunters most of the time. Depending on the areas you should still be ale to put your boots to the ground and roll into a few different basins from your drop location. You would be the one to chose to sit tight or cover ground.

Don't think it is unrealistic to get a bull on this trip! A 350+ bull then ya that's going to be a different story. A younger bull is within reason and defiantly a great goal. Bring a camera and enjoy being out west!
Levi Bedortha

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 06:31:00 AM »
Since this may be your only hunt for the next bunch of years, then I would optimize my chances by going on a guided hunt.

I know where you are at with time and expenses, but knowing what I know now the guided route should strongly be considered.

As for as which state, Wyoming, New Mexico and definitely Colorado are good choices.

Just keep in mind, going cheap and blind to a location may end up being an expensive camping trip.

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 06:52:00 AM »
Rick Richard X2
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Online elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 07:03:00 AM »
Don't limit youself to a bull. Take the first elk that offers you a shot! Your next trips, after your get a little more experience is when you can get picky.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 07:10:00 AM »
You have a PM
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 07:14:00 AM »
X3 what Richard said

Don't assume using a guide equates to sitting on a water hole or an easy hunt. My one guided elk hunt was a tough one but also a terrific education that has helped me on subsequent hunts. Just make sure you get a good outfitter. That way you can spend your prep time getting in shape, shooting your bow and getting in shape and if you have any spare time you might get in better shape.

Finding elk is the #1 priority and in spite of all the technology in mapping software and satellite imaging, it's tough to do from New Jersey. Someone familiar with the country is invaluable.

If you decide on Colorado and using an outfitter I would recommend looking into J-Bar-H outfitters. They do guided hunts or probably the best drop camps anywhere.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
I have hunted Elk since the early 80's.  I do not use a guide but I started by accompaning someone that had experience and new of decent areas to hunt in the National Forrest (CO).  We then moved on to hunt private property after paying a tresspass fee.  I would recommed either finding a group to tag along with or hire a guide.  I think you would be surprized at the sucess percentage even with a guide.  Maybe 20% so don't think that is a slam dunk.  You need to set a dollar figure on what you are willing to spend.  That will limit or set your options.  I used to be able to travel to CO for a week long hunt for under $1000.00.  Now you will spend that in gas alone. Then you need to settle on a state.  I would recommend applying for a preference point in WY and CO since you still have time for both this year.  It may give you a better option.  I would also set my goal on any elk or at least any legal bull elk.  Good luck.
T ZZZZ

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
Awesome! I've never hunted elk before but will be moving to Montana this year and hunting wapiti next year.plenty of good books out there to research and the internet is full of valuable information.  Keep us posted! !!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline blackpenny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
Thank you guys. Messages received. Let me clarify a few things. I plan to get into great shape for this hunt. My wife is saving $5000 for my trip and I don't plan to hunt without a guide or a group for my first elk trip.
My buddy is good friends with Fred Eichler and is hunting at his place this fall. They do day hunts from his "lodge" (not sure what the term would be), but I'm interested in setting up camp in the mountains and covering lots of ground. I started shooting out to 30 yards with my 45lb longbow but plan on getting into a 55lb bow before my trip. I have two shoulder tears (one each shoulder), so I have to slowly progress into a heavier weight. Again, any and all advice is greatly appreciated. I am an experienced hiker and camper having covered many miles of the Appalachian Trail through NC, PA, NJ, NY, CT, VT, and NH.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
I would suggest doing your best to get a preference point this year at least, then next year you could get into a lot of draw areas with one preference point, run into a lot less hunters that way. I believe you can get a preference point for the price of a cow tag and get most of it back in a couple of months. That's my two cents, lots of good advice though from the other guys, for 5K you should be able to have a pretty nice trip, wish you the best of luck
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline blackpenny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
UPDATE; I have yet to book a hunt but will before the week is over. Any and all recommendations for a drop/spike camp in CO will be greatly appreciated. Or any state with OTC permits.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
Lots of limited draw units in Colorado that you can get with no points and then have a second choice of OTC and if you don't draw, you will still get to hunt and you will have a PP next time you go, cause you will go again. OTC gives you a bigger variety of places to hunt, but in my experience, the elk respond to calls and stuff better in limited units. I've had more reposnses in one day to my calling in a limited unit than I did in my 5 seasons spent in OTC units combined. Below is the statistics page for Colorado, you can research units, success rates, Preference Points required, etc..

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Pages/Statistics.aspx
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
Telluride is a great place to start
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©