3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: You Guys Are Not Going to Believe This!!!  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
You Guys Are Not Going to Believe This!!!
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:19:00 AM »
I'm still in disbelief.....

:campfire:

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: You Guys Are Not Going to Believe This!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:39:00 AM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 12:51:00 AM »
Talk to us Ryan.
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
I need to preface it first with this link.  I know most of you saw this, but for those that didn't, it's important to read this story first.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=125986

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 02:16:00 AM »
For some reason, I didn't get off to the best start today....

First, I jumped into my truck without my hunting shirt, luckily we were still at home.  On the drive there, Staci realized that I forgot to pack the binoculars!!!      :knothead:      For us, binos are just as important  as our bows!!!  We decided that it was too late to turn around and we'd make the best out of it.

00x00 Sanpei S2 Binos

Since Staci has become a little more familiar with Makua, today I asked the "goat magnet" where she wanted to go.  On our previous trip, she had spotted a few big billies which must've left a lasting impression because today, we were headed to the ridge that she had last spotted them on.

Getting to the back of the ridge went without a hitch, maybe my luck was turning around, "I thought" to myself, but I was only fooling myself...  Because we're both new to that specific area, finding access to the ridges are a little tricky in the back of the valley.  You start off in thick vegetation and you can't see above the tree tops, so finding the correct ridge takes a little trial and error.  We climbed one and turned around, then climbed another.
For some reason, the ridges looked so different from our new approach.  We decided to just climb as high as possible on the current ridge in hopes that we could cross somewhere up above.

At that point, I felt a little discouraged.  I couldn't even get Staci on the correct ridge! Fortunately, as we gained ground, we were able to find a few crossings.  Although it looked as if we could cross, we would need to take our time as the trails were steep.  After crossing two ridges, we reached a point where I thought we couldn't climb any further.  I turned around and asked Staci, "what do you think"?  To my surprise, she said "chance 'um"!  So together we climbed what came to be the third ridge.

This ridge started to look promising.  Out of the blue we began to hear a few goats "crying".  After about fifty yards, we spotted two, but they were small ones again!!!  We waited till they trotted off and continued on.  Thinking that they were heading to a herd, we followed their direction.

Sure enough, as we rounded the corner, we spotted a few nannies and a nice billy feeding.  Slowly we crept towards the herd.  We were about thirty yards away and Staci was ready to make the final stalk.  Just as we switched places, the wind switched too and the goats slowly moved on.

Tired, discouraged and hungry, we decided to break for lunch, good thing I didn't forget that!  Lunch was the highlight of the day for us at that point.  After we had lunch, we made plans for the rest of the day.  Boom! Boom! Boom!  Gun shots rang out near the back of the valley! We instantly looked at each other and thought to ourselves, WHAT THE HECK!  Not only was it bow only season, we were the only ones checked in!!!  Just to be safe, we sat on the opposite side of the ridge, away from the gun shots.
Now what do we do, we thought.  Staci was a little shaken by all the gun shots and we were considering to head back for the truck at that point.

We discussed our options and set our new plans,  just as she slung her backpack over her shoulder to get going, I told her "get down"!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:46:00 AM »
Oh come on thats not nice.   :thumbsup:      :campfire:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »
:campfire:    :archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »
OH boy!!   :thumbsup:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
Tuned in!  :coffee:  

Bisch

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
Well.....waiting !!!!!
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
:campfire:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Gump21Bravo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
Drowning in anticipation.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
........In the near distance, I saw the horns of billies bobbing up and down feeding in the tall grass ahead of us.  We both hunkered down while maintaining focus on the feeding goats.  They were feeding right to us!  Staci held tight behind a tree while I hid behind and slightly to the left her.  With arrows nocked, we were both ready and waiting.  

The sounds of feeding and rustling got closer. In front of Staci, I could see the silhouette of a billy inching his way closer and closer. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a "kid" pop up above us.  Oh no, I thought, not again!!!  But because we were both motionless, the "kid" remained unstartled.  The billy was now 15 yards in front of her and heading straight for us.

The rest of the herd broke and fed to the left of us. They were on a mission.  For whatever reason, one of those billies broke off and headed in my direction!  The billy in front of Staci was now 10 yards and closing in, while the billy to the left of me was headed right to me!  This was getting too close for comfort!  Any minute now, these billies were going to pop their heads up and spook.  

Amazingly, the billy in front of Staci started to turn and with trembling legs, she began her draw cycle.  Knowing that she was going to have her shot, I drew simultaneously at the billy below us.  I hit anchor before her and my shot went off a split second before hers.  Both of us had taken a shot!  After, I saw where my arrow impacted, I turned and saw Staci's goat turn and bolt!  

Instantly, I asked her about her shot.  She told me that it felt good and that she put the arrow right where she was looking.  I couldn't believe what just transpired!!!  

We both stood up from our kneeling position to get a better look and we couldn't believe our eyes....

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
Oh come-ON, I just poured a fresh cup of coffee.    :campfire:
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
Guys we need an exorcism here! Charlie Lamb's spirit is possessing all sorts of trad gangers these days!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
Not 50 yards away, I saw Staci's fletch sticking up from the grass and attached to that arrow was her goat!  She had made a perfect shot!  

Although I had a good feeling, we still proceeded very carefully.  

The downed animal was in sight but we still followed the trail.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
Yea buddy!! Your up awful early/late to be telling this! Congrats bro!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline DamselflyFarm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
We're with ya.
Take care,
Jeff

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
Upon final approach, we saw that the goat had expired.  In my hunting career, I've seen some crazy things so I still had Staci nock an arrow, while I crept up and grabbed the horns, just to know that he was finally ours...

A crazy feeling of elation swept over both of us! The time had come....  All the countless hours of dedication, hard work and perseverance had finally paid off!  I was so proud of my wife!  Never in my wildest dreams would I have dreamt that we would be hunting together in Makua, let alone she harvesting a billy with her stickbow!

Against all odds, Staci had just pulled off what I felt was the "impossible".  Just to give you another idea of the hunting area.  It was a weekend, and we were the only ones who signed in at the check in station.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
Brother,

I'm still pumped, I couldn't sleep all night!!!  Figured I might as well finish the story!      ;)  

Today's going to be rough though......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©