3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 Piece TakeDown, What do you like and why?  (Read 593 times)

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
2 Piece TakeDown, What do you like and why?
« on: March 04, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
I'm a longbow shooter, I like agressive R/D longbows that can fling a heavy arrow, and I am thinking about acquiring a 2 piece longbow. This would be easier to pack when traveling and would allow me to be a bit more stealthy when I pack into a wooded area when hunting.I also like to shoot a longer bow 64-66".  I know there are alot of options so the question is: What 2 Piece Takedown Bow do you like and why? And is there a bowyer who makes one as an affordable option?
Thanks in advance.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 Piece TakeDown, What do you like and why?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:23:00 PM »
I would say "affordable" is a pretty loose term.

If I were ordering a new longbow today, it would be a Mohawk Sparrowhawk 2-piece with the connexion system. I used a borrowed right-hander for a while and at first it annoyed me that it would come apart if turned upside down when unstrung, but I later came to appreciate that it did, in fact, come completely apart and could be nested together very compactly. Tie-wrap the string loops together so you don't lose the correct brace height and it couldn't get much simpler. Rock solid when strung.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
I'm a big fan of the locket-socket 2 piece design.  Black widow, ACS, Eaglewing, and Big Jim use this takedown method. It shows and looks like a 1 piece and I believe it to be much stronger then other systems out there.  I believe most takedown options are around $125 give or take
  As far as bows go either a eaglewing double carbon or a widow pl for me. Both have good service the eaglewing will be a little less $.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
I just ordered a two piece Dan Toelke Whip HS.  I like the take down for two reasons. One is the obvious for transporting and the other for the additional mass (Micarta and lug).

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
L8 2 Hunt:Both have good service the eaglewing will be a little less $.

Thanks, However my prices are probably about the same now. There is so much time involved in these takedown systems I have had to raise my prices a bit.
I just had an inquirey and He said , a couple of years ago your bows were less money than that. I said yes and so was gas and groceries and bow materials. A couple of years from now they will probably be higher yet. Thats the age we live in.

I do love the locket socket system and am actually planning one for myself. LOL I believe it is the best of all systems and the most fool proof. It is however very labor and time intensive.
God bless you all, Steve

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
A Chastain Wapiti Spike is available in a two piece option for $75 more. He uses a locket socket type system for more than 35 years, with a metal sleeve though. The metal sleeve has the advantage, that you can alter the grip by molding it with bondo, then cover with a thin leather or rubber grip to your liking if you want to. The locator grip is fine for most people though.
For $660 you get a 2piece TD bow to your specs, with your choice of lams. Design is a milder R/D, which makes bow stringers unneccessary and is easy in the field.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
I shoot the BW PLX takedowns with the lock it sock it system. It feels like a 1 piece, but is very portable. It shoots my 780 gr CX shafts with finess...
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
I only have experience with the bow bolt and carbon sleeve. Both worked great, though I think I prefer the bow bolt by a small margin.

Offline twistedlim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
There are a lot of choice out there.  I like the bow bolt system personally..  Great northern has a very nice solid break down in their "jackknife" but the hinge does not fit my grip.

I am convinced nobody makes a better bow than Dan and Jarod Toelke.  The whip is perfect, finish is the best I have seen, the draw is very quite.    I would not hesitate to recommend the Toelke
whip,

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 01:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by L82HUNT:
I'm a big fan of the locket-socket 2 piece design.  Black widow, ACS, Eaglewing, and Big Jim use this takedown method. It shows and looks like a 1 piece and I believe it to be much stronger then other systems out there.
X2!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 01:25:00 AM »
Black Widow Plx...test drive one and you'll know why
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 07:47:00 AM »
Black Widow Test drive is a good idea, anybody have any experience with how that works and how much it costs?
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 08:07:00 AM »
We use the bow bolt and love it

Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by UrbanDeerSlayer:
Black Widow Test drive is a good idea, anybody have any experience with how that works and how much it costs?
I test drove a KB a while back. BW charged my CC the price of the bow and shipping. When I returned the bow they credited my CC back the price of the bow. I just paid the shipping. I can't remember for sure but think it was around $25 or $30 for me. It's a very good deal as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
As a novice selfbower I'd like to find a source for the bow bolt.  Are they available through one of the sponsors on here?

Thank you,
K.C.
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
I like the Widow they have a couple on the classifieds
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by oklahomaleatherman:
As a novice selfbower I'd like to find a source for the bow bolt.  Are they available through one of the sponsors on here?

Thank you,
K.C.
Try Raptor Archery.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
I have tried most, but the conexion style found on Mohawks, Robertson's and early JD Berry's.  Nathan Steele of Bama bows is another bowyer using the locket socket.  Have had great luck with this connection, however in more than one instance I had to heat a bit of bees wax and rub on the connection to stop irritating creaks while drawing.

No issues with bow bolt, but like Dan Toelke I think it's a good idea to use phenolic in riser.  My first Toelke 2 piece did not have phenolic riser.

Least favorite was the brass insert style.  Functioned fine, just didn't care for the cylinder grip.

Eaglewing

Kempf

Toelke Whip (with phenolic)

Toelke Whip (without)

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
I have a locket socket ACS longbow 2 piece and it is a rocket... It goes together and comes apart quickly, it is solid and it performs like the ACS is known for. I have tested many longbows and nothing outperforms the ACS so if you like the locket socket look, that is the sweet dependable bow
bryce olson

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
The bow bolt adds some heft to the riser which some folks find quite appealing.  I have to admit I like the added weight when it is in the riser.  My one concern with the bow bolt is in how much abuse it can take in the real world of backpack hunting.  I have not heard of anyone having issues though.  

I am wanting to get a new 2 pc. longbow myself and I am going to ask for the carbon sleeve system like Big Jim uses on it.  I have heard that this system is as strong as anything else and it is lighter than a bow bolt system.  I want the lighter weight for back country hunting.

Kegan is now making a 2 pc. longbow using the carbon sleeve system and his prices are quite reasonable as compared to many other makers.  His bows shoot very well according to many reviews.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©