3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 Piece TakeDown, What do you like and why?  (Read 594 times)

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 Piece TakeDown, What do you like and why?
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
I love the brass/steel sleeve in small size.Mine do have custom grips built up into locator style and pistol grips.Their wrapped in leather and you cant tell thier a 2 piece when strung.Super strong and solid and this design adds some mass wieght right where the hand sits.I like that.

The locket/socket style is great as well.

Offline Zog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 12:15:00 AM »
You asked for opinions - for me, I don't like 2 pc.  I just sold all my 2 pc bows.

Some time ago I saw one and just had to have it, then ordered several bows with 2 pc.  I used the breakdowns for a while, but then the novelty wore off and I was just leaving them together all the time, even to transport.  

I really admire the construction and ingenuity of the 2 pc systems and they work great.  The sleeve was my favorite of the connections, followed closely by the bowbolt.  My least favorite was the hinge, because I don't like wood screws in the bow and it has to be strung to stay together.

I realized I liked the simplicity of the one piece, and the selection of the woods that you miss out on if you go with the 2 pc.  Plus you go to the trouble and money to make 2 pc and still don't get the advantage of the 3 pc, in that you can't interchange limbs or replace a broken limb.

In restrospect I would have been better off saving the money and sticking with one piece.  For me - put the extra money into better limbs, maybe carbon, nicer wood; the best quality shooter.

I keep a 3 pc for backpacking.
Freedom is not constituted primarily of privileges, but of responsibilities

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 01:41:00 AM »
For the R/D bows you like I think the takedown system that Big Jim, Widow, Eaglewing and Bama use is with out doubt my favorite. I have built a few selfbows with the steal/brass sleeve system and it works great but does not leave much choice when it comes to grip. I have not had any problems with 2pc bows breaking and they sure travel well.....

Two of my Big Jim 2pc bows...

Now you see them ....

Now you don't....

A Yew takedown selfbow I'm currently working on...

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 02:00:00 AM »
One of the coolest takedown systems I've ever seen and owned was this one made by Gordy of Lightning Longbows.

What can I say I like 2pc bows  :)

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Zog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
Holy smokes those are some nice bows, coaster!
Freedom is not constituted primarily of privileges, but of responsibilities

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by eflanders:
 I want the lighter weight for back country hunting.

Kegan is now making a 2 pc. longbow using the carbon sleeve system and his prices are quite reasonable as compared to many other makers.  His bows shoot very well according to many reviews.
MY current bow of choice is an Omega R/D longbow made by Kegan McCabe. Its a shooter, but he is not currently in the 2 piece market. I shoot with him every week at our club and Im working on persuading him to make me a 2 piece takedown.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Zog:
Holy smokes those are some nice bows, coaster!
Ditto!!
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©