3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: L a t e Rut in the hood  (Read 135 times)

Online Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
L a t e Rut in the hood
« on: March 04, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
I live in an urban area of townhouses and single family homes in Northern Virginia and have an old farm pond in back of my place.  Over the last two weekends I have seen chasing and rutting activity.  I have a group of 8-10 does/yearling fawns bedded up around the edges of this 1 1/2 acre pond surrounded on two sides by townhouses and on the other by a 4 lane road.  The other end funnels into a creek bed that travels a half mile or so to a bigger wood lot.  Anyway, this 6 point has been chasing and attempting to mount this one particular doe that has a small fawn with her.  I'm guessing the doe was a late fawn herself and her cycle is just later than most.  I have heard this happens, but had not seen it before.

I wonder if the urban setting makes a difference, or this happens as much in 'the real woods'?

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: L a t e Rut in the hood
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
I have a friend who watched the same thing up here. A buck that still had headgear chasing young doe.

Something is amiss in the deer cycle. Hope it evens out before fall!!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: L a t e Rut in the hood
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
3 years back I saw a really small fawn late into November. It looked like it had only been born just weeks previous. I imagine there is always a really late doe and some very early ones as well. This was in a normal wooded setting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©