3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hog heaven  (Read 774 times)

Offline Gumby

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hog heaven
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
Nice meeting both Karl and Joe,.... great guys to share a camp with. The three Canadian guys never saw a single pig.......the closest I got was hearing one,once! We saw lots of other wildlife, but the pigs were certainly not co-operating!! We hunted hard for 2 and half days, but to no avail. My Hog Heaven experience was not what I was expecting.....  I will leave it at that.  :dunno:

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 12:51:00 AM »
I have been 4 times seen pigs every time and killed pigs.you have to move slow if you think you are moving slow move slower and check the wind over and over.you have to make it happen.there are pigs all over the place

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 08:33:00 AM »
Ive been twice. Ive seen 50 in a weekend and killed one to zero the next trip. Everyday since, I just cant wait to get back. Thats hunting.

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
Izzy ,I'll let you know how it goes this weekend...wish you could have made the trip..

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
Mike, Doug and I are in route as we speak.  See you soon

Offline Karl Kortemeier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
I was there this past weekend and had a great time.  I had encounters both days, but it never came together for a good shot.  On Friday I was in the swamp and slowly moving along one of the high spots above the water.  I had stopped to look over a spot of river cane when 6 small pigs came running past.  I waited for a few minutes hoping that their mother or a bigger pig would come behind.  The small guys were out in a grassy area about 30 yards away.  After waiting a few minutes I decided to sneak up on the little guys.  I crept slowly up to them keeping behind one of the huge cypress trees that dotted the landscape.  My intention at first was to see how close I could get.  But the closer I got, the more I started thinking about a suckling pig on my grill.  It was the first time in my hunting career that my mouth started watering while hunting game!  Anyway, by this time one of the pigs spotted me before I could get off a shot and they charged off like a firecracker had been dropped out of the tree.  They fled about 50 yards and stopped, then started feeding away from me.  I decided to back out about 60 yards and run  to get myself in front of them.  I positioned myself behind a tree and waited.  I could already taste the grilled pig when I heard them coming my way.  When I thought they were close enough, I peaked around the tree and to my surprise 6 pairs of pig eyes were looking at me.  Needless to say they charged off across the swamp like they'd been stung by yellow jackets.   :mad:

Offline Karl Kortemeier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
My next run-in was Saturday.  I was in the uplands hunting in rows of planted pines.  The pines were on raised rows and in between the earth was scooped out in a small trench.  Water filled the trench, and Ray said the pigs searched along the flooded banks looking for worms and salamanders.  Fresh pig sign was everywhere.  After moving very slowly (5 s-l-o-w steps and then waiting a few minutes while scanning the woods) I needed a break.  I'm not sure about you guys, but it takes a lot of concentration to hunt this way, and I tend to take a break every hour or so.  My hunting buddy jokes that it is hunting tai-chi.  This break was right at lunch.  A little voice in the back of my head said it was a bad idea to stop in this much sign, but I did it anyway.  Well, you guessed it, right when I was getting out my sandwich, I looked up and there was a big, black boar looking right at me not more than 10 feet away.  I couldn't believe it   :mad:   What bad timing on my part.  Because I was crouched down, he kept looking at me like he was trying to figure out what I was.  When he lowered his head, I reached for my bow, but as I slowly lifted it up he did a 180 and took off.  I was frustrated at myself for such a rookie move, but I know better for next time.  The amazing thing to me is that such a large animal could get so close to me without making a noise.

All in all Ray's place is a lot of fun, and he is a great host. I also met some great guys.  If I had done my part I could have come home with two pigs.  There's always next time...

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
Steve,Good luck to you bro. I promise you Im going with you next time. You set it up for what weekend you want and Ill send Sugar Ray my deposit. I miss that carpet bagging Yankee.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
Im also available for Kentucky. Have bow, will travel.   :readit:

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
Good luck Steve.
I have got to get back down there too. Have fun.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
Have a great trip Steve.  let me know how you do.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
Well far be it from me to speak behind folks' backs- but our NY contingent has buggered a few opportunities Friday!  Lets see if they redeem themselves today
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
I hope steves silvertip isn't  stuck in the treetops again.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
:readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
There's at least one on the board- they're really getting into them today and yesterday.  It's just a matter of right place right time now!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
Great to see that things are getting figured out down there. Looking forward to the stories.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
Ray,
Where are the hogs being seen? Are they in those yellow wildflowers?
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
Everywhere joe

Fields palmettos pines swamp

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
What was the final tally?  It sounds as if the piggies are back from vacation!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
The stories will come through driving home after a great weekend with a great bunch of guys.  Let's just say the Yankees learned to forge the swamps and creeks!!!!!!!!!!!

I will start another thread or post on the hog heaven 3-14 to 3-17.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©