3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scent Control ..."Home Brew"  (Read 465 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Scent Control ..."Home Brew"
« on: August 24, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »
I copied this Home Brew from Mississippi Wildlife forums......You know us rednecks would rather spend $20 to make something than pay $10 for it already made....and Hey, thats my own qoute!

I may give this a whirl!

Purchase 1 gal Baquacille hydrogen peroxide from your local pool store. This product is 14% and need to be diluted to 3%. Do not use medical peroxide.
Dilution rate is one parts hydrogen peroxide to nine parts distilled water. This will give you a 3% solution.

mix:
1Qt of Hydrogen Peroxide (diluted solution at 3%);add three qts distilled water; add 1/2 cup bakin soda and 3oz of your favorite scent free laundry detergant.This will yeild 1 gal for pennies
This product works better than anything i have tryed on the market. Spray liberaly on clothes and skin, does burn a little if you get it in your eyes
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scent Control ..."Home Brew"
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
I bet if you use this and stay downwind, you won't get smelled . .ever. . lol.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
Shoe....I heard it masks the smell of ...microwaved onions and squash and potatoes.....but not cheap red wine.....so don't you try it

Offline jgbennett6

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
why not use medical hydrogen peroxide..it is 3% mixture. I use medical works great
Smoooooth!!
TGMM - Family of the bow

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
This guy says that medical peroxide has some other aditives that "smell".. He said he had tried it intially but later found out....

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 12:30:00 PM »
There are probably several receipts but I used lemon juice in place of the hydrogen peroxide and feel like I had good results.I know you can put lemonjuice on your hands after cleaning fish and POOF! no more fish smell.The baking soda seems to eliminate what little lemon smell there is.I'm not a chemist try at you on risk!Just somthing I came up with on a brain storm.I may try the baquacille hydrogen peroxide this year.
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.    I saw a simlar recipe last year but it didn't specify not to use the normal "brown bottle" hydrogen peroxide.

I still saw game while using it but it does make me wonder.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline jgbennett6

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
the medical peroxide does have a slight smell however it dissipates after it is exposed to the air, also teh baking soda gets rid of it, the peroxide serves to kill microbials that come from our sweat, that is the "odor"" that deer smell, baking soda is used to eliminate any other external odor, and the shampooallows an even spray and stops it from evaporating so quickly. it is a great recipe.
Smoooooth!!
TGMM - Family of the bow

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
jgbennett6 ...thats great info...I'll try it with medical perioxide..that is easier to get...

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »
the recipe I tried blew up on me literally. I used medical peroxide and also added a tbale spoon of hunters specialty soap that i alreadyhad.I put in in a gallon jug like the recipe called for and left the lid a little loose. a couple days later when i went to check it it was full of foam. like an idiot i put the lid on it and shook it up. when i tried to loosen the lid it shot the lid off and complety covered me in white foam. Lol I never did find the lid.

It worked better than any of the store brand stuff i've bought including the carbon stuff.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
I have got some Bite sandal that make my feet smell horrible but my yellow lab loves them so I'm putting them to the test through all scent killer snake oils..first up
1. Scent Eradicator
          results: knocked the edge off the smell on sandal pretty well, probably needed to spray more..Then Sprayed all over my feet, scent completely gone.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
Good idea..I wonder how store bought will do compared to home brew. Gonna try Scent Killer?
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
Joey, but did your dog die after licking your feet? It would take one very hungry or retarded mutt to enjoy licking your sandals.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
Gene, he did....do you know how hard it is to flush a 80# lab?....Marty is giving me Bubba....I'll train him on ducks..May your stay at the sunshine state be full of pot roast and 60# guilds

Offline Allan Hundeby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 01:11:00 AM »
I made a batch with 3% medicinal last year.  Worked great!
Bow:
62" Bob Lee TD Hunter Recurve: 51# @ 28", Braceheight: 7 3/4"

Bowstring:
Chad Weaver 58.5'' 10-strand DF97 (padded loops); 0.19 HALO serving; rubber silencers & brush buttons

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 06:37:00 AM »
Great tips...thanks
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
2.Home Brew test tonight........passed with flying colors. Definitely worked on my feet and on my shoes....

I will definitely use this for hunting season and take a towel bath in it before each hunt and put on clean scent free clothes. However the recipe calls for 3 oz of scent free soap but I'm going to cut back to 2 oz.. I made a gallon for $3 but I already had the soap ( scent away green soap)

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
Joebuck, When you come down here for turkeys, bring some of that stuff. Bubba needs a bath.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
That will be the ultimate test....that sheeteater you have for a hog dog is unbelievable.

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
He never ate sheets in his life! But he did turn his nose up to that overcooked Boston Butt that you cooked from 4 am til 6 pm! Why does a man from Mississippi cook meat from Boston anyhoo? He used one of your arras for a toothpick for a month!Pot Roast next year.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©