3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another shaft selection question.....  (Read 520 times)

Offline caligator

• Trad Bowhunter
Another shaft selection question.....
« on: March 05, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Hello all! So I am new to shooting traditional gear. Have shot the wheeled variety for 20+ years. I haveread the newbie information and still have some questions....

I am shooting a Treadway Black Swamp 45@28, 60". My measured draw lenghth is 30.5, to the front of the shelf. I would assume that I would shoot a 31" arrow, just to be safe. I really like the carbon arrows as I know I am going to be hard on them in the beginning. I know this because I shot the TBOF tournament this past weekend. So what would you guys recommend the carbon arrow world? Shooting split finger with a tab.

Thanks in advance.....
The welfare of the state depends upon the morals of its citizens.

Offline caligator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another shaft selection question.....
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
My above post is a little vague. What spine shafts do you all recommend? I guess aluminum wouldnt be out of the question as they are a little less expensive, but prefer carbon.

Thanks
The welfare of the state depends upon the morals of its citizens.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
A .500 spine would be a great place to start at 31"s and point weight from 150 on up to 225. My best estimate would be right around 175 up front. Those bows are quick and shoot hard, you may be able to shoot a .400 spine but would need a lot of point weight, minimum of 275 but most likely more. Shawn
Shawn

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
If you are truly drawing 30.5" you will need more spine than what you think.  I have not shot that particular bow but with my 31" draw I shoot .300 or .340 spine on all my cut past center bows and .400's on my longbows and never do I get above 200gr tips if I try to bareshaft with 300gr I almost kill my neighbor, HAHA. These bows are all from 55-60# and I shoot arrows 32-32.5" depends on how I can get them to tune.  Good luck...Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Trust me, you will need no more spine than recommend, don't understand what alot of guys shoot but I do know carbons. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Can anyone recommend any specific shafting and a possible vendor or location to acquire said shafting at a good price?

I would love to hear from others that are shooting a treadway black swamp longbow-

L.R.
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 12:36:00 AM »
Like I said you will get a lot of people telling you that you do not need much spine at 55-60 pounds but if you are drawing 30.5 or more and get to a 32" arrow they start doing really funny things.  I am not proclaiming to be an expert but have been shooting sticks for over 30 years and although I have only taken tuning seriously for the last 5 years or so since I made the switch to carbons long draws affect carbon tuning tremendously.  Good luck love to know how it works out....Shawn

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
Shawn(NY), and Shawn(NM) thanks for your insight- I was hoping that someone that actually shoots carbons out of a Treadway would chime in. Though I am thinking the best thing to do would be call Mike Treadway and see what he has to say on the subject!!!

I would still love to hear from real life users though!

L.R.

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
Lone Ranger/caligator save your self lots of headaches and buy AD Trad Lites. They are the most versitle carbon shaft out there [IMO] and are very tolerant of a wider range of point weights.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
I'm with Shawn (NY) - the .500 is as high as I would go and I would keep a higher FOC (carbons like higher FOC).  Most of the advice for carbons I've seen here is way over-spined.  Carbon, aluminum and wood all recover differently.  You could use a .400 spined wood shaft no problem because it recovers slower.... carbon recovers far more quickly and thus shoots stiffer than wood/aluminum at the same deflection/spine.  I shoot 54 pounds (bow is 51# at 27.5 and I pull around 28 1/2 inches) with 29 1/2 inch carbons and 275 grains up front (175 BH + 100 grain inserts) and they bare shaft far better then .400 shafts.  Best bet is to get a test kit of carbons and some various field points and experiment as your release, form and a host of other variables also comes into play.  Carbon seem to be very sensitive to length adjustmens so go slow if you remove shaft material.... it is better to use point weight to verify before cutting.  For me, a high FOC and 35/55 GTs work best and they spine good for me anywhere from 40-65 pounds of draw... all I have to do is adjust the point weight a little.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
Im shooting #51@28" with beman 400 and 50 grn brass insert and 125 grn woodsmans. I dont know how you could shoot 31" with 500's no matter what. Unless your pulling #30
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
really appreciate the comments- (especially from the guys with gorilla long draw lengths!) haha

keep them coming!

L.R.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
I have shot carbons off most every bow out there, over 110 different custom bows. You will only be around 51#s with that Treadway and they are not cut way past center so again, a .500 spine will be fine even at 31"s long. Shawn
Shawn

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by scedvm:
If you are truly drawing 30.5" you will need more spine than what you think.  I have not shot that particular bow but with my 31" draw I shoot .300 or .340 spine on all my cut past center bows and .400's on my longbows and never do I get above 200gr tips if I try to bareshaft with 300gr I almost kill my neighbor, HAHA. These bows are all from 55-60# and I shoot arrows 32-32.5" depends on how I can get them to tune.  Good luck...Shawn
He's got my vote!

Or better yet with all due respect, don't listen to anyone that doesn't own a treadway and call Mike!

Apple to oranges, you want Apples to Apples!

Good Luck!
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
Shot a Treadway for years and Dave and I are darn close, .300-.340 spine would be a joke even left full length unless the point weight was way up there. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©