INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My First Trip to Pig Paradise!......All Done...  (Read 53604 times)

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My First Trip to Pig Paradise!......All Done...
« Reply #600 on: March 14, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
This just keeps getting better    :)
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #601 on: March 14, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
It will be hard to top this trip. Sounds like some great memories. Congrats on the hogs everyone.  :thumbsup:
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #602 on: March 14, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
Congrats Curt on a nice hog and what sounds like a nice shot.  

I will be back to hear about Ole floppy ears Fate   :readit:    :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #603 on: March 14, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee:
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #604 on: March 14, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
Curt is going to work on finishing his hunt....then I'll finish mine....then there will be more pics and a story or two to follow after that.....so stay tuned!!!

I too don't want this thread to end...just like I didn't want this hunt to end.    :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #605 on: March 14, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
I'm gonna re-post this last part of my earlier post...

About 20minutes after getting there, the feeder went off, rattling out corn....the dinner bell!!

I stayed ready, sometimes hogs will come in quickly after hearing the "bell"....I waited on point for a good half hour....nothing....

Then I saw "black" in the high weeds behind the feeder...hogs!!!!

I slowly reached up to turn on the camera...

I got away with the movement, but this group of about 7 young hogs were constantly looking at the new blind that was only built just over a day before....they were very cautious.....I stayed still with no desire to shoot a hog of this size....but I knew the camera was running and I was getting cool footage...I enjoyed the show...

About 10 minutes later, in the racket of crunching corn.... big, floppy ears appeared in the weeds....there was a bigger hog coming in!!

So here it came over the slight berm behind the feeder and immediately locked right in on to the blind...growled and started to move off...but stopped and started feeding at the furthest away corn it could find. I knew this would take some time....

The hog was a sow, and it was easy to see she had no connection with these smaller hogs...she had them all nervous with her actions though...she was getting closer, but would never turn broadside. Then she'd move off a bit again...this game went on for a good 10 minutes...

I was actually thinking of waiting some more to see if anything else showed up, but then I got thinking...."I've never self filmed myself killing anything and this may go bad any second"....so I decided to take the shot if given an opportunity....

She was finally under the feeder...maybe 15-16yds....and her head was partially hidden by one of the other hogs....

This was my chance....I started to ooze the string back...what happened next was startling to say the least.....the arrow struck high, with a tremendous "crack"!

She dropped in the water under the feeder, spine cut in half, and started to squeal so loud it was crazy!  I've spine shot hogs before, and they've squealed, but not like this one!

I was up and out of the blind in a flash, arrow nocked to get another one into her...she was flailing around, and sending water spray all over....I mistimed the first finisher as she flopped around and almost completely cut her front leg off at the knee.

I re-loaded, and the second shot was much better, taking her thru the sternum into the heart/lungs and out the top of her back...in seconds she was still...........and I started breathing again!

Then I thought..."I got this all on video! I need to go turn it off"

When I got to the camera, and pressed the button to turn the video off.....the screen lit up as it came on...OH NO!!!!!  I'd turned the power on, but had never pressed the video button to get it going....I HAD NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

Well I actually got about 1 second of video when I turned it on...

I'd failed miserably!!!

I was so worried about spooking the hogs when they showed up I got the camera turned on...but never thought about the video button. And since I was using just a reg. camera that takes video, and not a real video camera with a flip out screen, I couldn't see the black screen since the camera was off to my left side...I was floored by the realization that I hadn't captured such an exciting hunt on video...dang it!

This pic is graphic, but sums up what it looked like after all this...
•    

So I got all my arrows back in my quiver, and dragged down the road about 100yds. and just off the road and went back to the blind.

I sat for a few minutes thinking..."I already have two hogs to clean up tonight, if I sit here, I might just be tempted again"...so with that thought in my head I packed up my gear to get some good daytime pix....
•    

After the pix I thought I'd get over to the woodline and watch Cade from about 200yds away. If I could sneak along just inside the trees, he wouldn't see me, and I'd just sit and enjoy the show without him knowing.

I got into position without him knowing...
•    

Or so I thought...
•    

He made it about 10 minutes knowing I was there before he started waving me over. This is what I was afraid of if he saw me!

I tried to hand signal him to stay put. It wasn't even "primetime" yet, and "Woods' Stand" is almost always "money" in the evening. But I knew he had also heard my hog squealing, so he knew something had happened and was probably excited to hear about it...I wanted him to stay put!

But he kept waving me over so I thought I'd go see what he wanted...

When I got close, he said..."daddy when that hog squealed I nearly fell out of the stand it scared me so bad!!!"

Then he asked...."did you 'spine' a hog?"....you bet!

I told him I'd go back and watch because It was still early. But he said..."I'm not feeling it today daddy"....he wanted to get down, and if that's what he wanted, that's what I'd let him do.

I got him down safely and we walked out into the road to get his stuff packed up good. I told him we'd go try to walk something up before dark.

I had my back to the feeder, and he was facing the feeder while he packed up.  We whispered as he packed...then I thought of something.....

It was then, for the first time since I'd put it in my pocket, I thought of the head's up penny!

So I told him about how I'd almost walked by it earlier, and backed up to pick it up because  "it just couldn't hurt to have a little good luck". Since I'd picked it up I'd killed two hogs in about 2hrs. of hunting..I reached in my pocket to show him the shiny "good luck" penny.

Then I saw his face go blank..."daddy they're right there!!"

That's right...they were right at the feeder...about 15 small, "Cade size" hogs...he was so mad at himself for getting down now!!!

To make it worse....a couple minutes later another group showed up and there was a big dry sow with them.....he was furious at himself!!!

They finally had enough of Cade try to get a shot and went feeding down the road toward "Sunset"...we followed but in the waning light  Cade never did get quite close enough for a perfect shot.

By the time they got to where my hog was laying, they spooked and it was about dark so we headed for the truck.

We loaded up and drove slowly in to get the hog and wait for Terry....what a hunt!!

Just before we got to my hog we saw Terry's light coming....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #606 on: March 14, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
Awesome story!!!Congratulations!!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #607 on: March 14, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Great way to end your hunt Curt!!!!

Great Job Cade!!!!  

You sure made your Dad and Uncle Terry Proud  :)  I feel privileged to have been included with those who shared your experience.....

Well done Buddy, well done!!!

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #608 on: March 14, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
Wow!  Way to go Curt!     :clapper:

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #609 on: March 14, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Wow!!! What a thread. You guys had the hunt that dreams are made of. You worked hard and deserve every bit of it. This is what happens when you go all out for something.  Proud if you Boriqua hunters!  :campfire:    :campfire:    :campfire:

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #610 on: March 14, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
AHHHHH youthfull impatience...

« Reply #611 on: March 14, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
Way to go again, Curt! They can really let out some noise when they get hit in the spine!

BTW, I never let a heads up penny go without picking it up........if it is tails up, I turn it over and leave it lay for the next guy to get the good luck!

Bisch

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #612 on: March 14, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
Congrats again Curt!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #613 on: March 14, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »
Great hunt for sure!!  :clapper:
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #614 on: March 15, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
This is an excellent topic and reflects how enjoyable hog hunting can be. It also demonstrates how difficult hog hunting can be and some of the obstacles to hog hunting. I make it a point to read every thread about hog hunting on this forum.

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #615 on: March 15, 2013, 01:50:00 AM »
This thread is awesome. Thanks to all three of you for taking us on the hunt. Makes a man want to move south and hunt some pork. Congratulations Cade.

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #616 on: March 15, 2013, 05:51:00 AM »
Well, this was a great thread. Really enjoy seeing the young folks getting into hunting, especially traditional bowhunting.

Way to go Cade! The old guys did kinda' good too.   :)  

password to view is.....cade

Tom Mussatto

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #617 on: March 15, 2013, 07:10:00 AM »
Great read guys, thanks for taking us along!    :thumbsup:

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #618 on: March 15, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »
I hate to see this hunt come to an end, I can only imagine how it felt ending for y'all. Great hunt and thread guys!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #619 on: March 15, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
Fellas thank you so much for bearing with us on this.....I know it's taken a long time to unfold....but there were so many details we didn't want to leave...but I'm sure we forgot some...

We're not quite done yet...Terry had something come up last night...so when he has the time we'll finish up...

Something really,really cool is about to happen   :campfire:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©