3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How far will you drive to hunt this year?  (Read 1020 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
How far will you drive to hunt this year?
« on: August 24, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
I've heard lots of folks changing their plans because of gas prices this year. Will it change your hunting plans? How many miles will you be driving to get to your hunts?

I am blessed with land to hunt within ten minutes of me pretty much in any direction I point the truck, by I know lots of others aren't so fortunate.

So is the price of fuel going to put a damper on your season?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How far will you drive to hunt this year?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
1-1.5 hours is all for me.  Nice and close to home.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
I wish I could say that I was driving further(like Illinois, Montana, I could go on and on) but most of my hunting is less than 5 minutes from my house. This is really great, but I am really itching to go on a trip somewhere.

Mark
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
About 245 miles, or 4 hours each way. It costs me about $125 just in gas each time I go. So I'm currently wrestling with whether to go one more time. If you include the scouting trip, I've already spent about or almost $400 in gas alone for deer hunting this year. If I go once more, that figure will top $500. Boy, that's sobering.  :eek:  

I will likely put in for a tag in the same place next year, because it is a darned good spot. But it is apparent that I need to start saving extra money now to cover that cost next year.
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
Fuel isn't the issue for me (despite 13 mpg with the truck), it is the sleep factor.  I have a number of prospects within 1 1/2 hours within state and 3 hours to Ohio.  I consider farther only if a place to bunk is available - Ohio would be one of those.  I really don't like the wake & drive to hunt part, and try to do over-nighters.

Outside of that, I am looking at a possible drive to Tx for hogs.  Family has some options down there, and a trip may be in order.  Probably doesn't count as there is a visit involved.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »
I only gotta go out my back door. I'm a coupla hundred yards from a ~4000 acre SWA.   :D
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline ogopogoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »
well I'll go to the praries which is around 3000K from here in Ontario. Takes around 3 days with rest and 33 hours if going straight. It takes 24 hours alone to get to the Manitoba border from here. Could shave off a few hours by going through the States but what the heck!!!
 It's .95 cents a litre here now. It's cheaper here than in Alberta and I'm not sure why???
I learned to swim ashore from stones, I learned to live alone in droves...Allergic to Myself....
my upcoming album..

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
I drive an average of 15 minutes to 3 different spots here at home.  But I'm leaving for Newfoundland on tuesday and driving 2400 miles each way.  At 12 mpg, let's see that's...
I try not to think about such things.  It's a small price to pay to go hunting.

Offline John D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
0, I just walk out my back door in less than a minute I'm in the woods, then it's up to me a 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile 1-2miles were ever I want, it's beautiful, just brings a tear to my eye.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ON THE UP COMING SEASONS.

John
Good Luck & Good Hunting!
John
COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS
PBS Associate Member

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
Driving from western Pennsylvania to Montana in a few weeks. My place in Ohio is about an hour away. I try not to fret over the cost of hunting, it's really the only hobby I have. I don't smoke or patronize bars or anything else like that so a few more dollars for gas won't slow my hunting down. Now time...that's another story...

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »
Well the gas prices really did not keep me home this year I just decided to hunt in my own state this year.  I am blessed just like Dank, I walk out the back slidder and I am hunting.  However in the middle of October a bunch of us Michigan and surrounding states Trad Gangers are holding a bow camp in the northern part of lower Michigan and that is about a 3 1/2 hour drive for me.
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
Mostly between 5 minutes and a half hour.  Occassionally go to a spot about 3 1/2 hours away once or twice during the season.  One six hour drive to the Adirondak Attack and one four and a half hour drive to another NY hunt this year.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
40 miles each way the farthest.
1 Corinthians 1:18

For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
Anywhere from 0 to 1,280.  The long one is first, 1,280 one way to New Mexico in 3 weeks.  Zero is when I walk out the back door and hunt whitetails behind the house, mostly before work in the mornings.  And on quite a few weekends during the fall I will head to our cabin, which is 160 miles one way.
Lots of road miles coming up real soon - I don't like buying the gas, but I sure do like where it gets me  :cool:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
Five hours to my son's house.  And then another five or six hours from there to Southern IL.  The gas comes out of pocket from home to his house and back.  We split the gas costs from his house to IL and back.  It costs more per mile from his house to IL and back because he has a lead foot!  I don't share ticket costs with him!!    :eek:    :biglaugh:

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Howard S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
I'll be making a trip to Colorado in a couple of weeks.  That'll be around 3000 miles split 3 ways for gas.  Deer season in Michigan, my hunting place is less than 2 hours from home.  I'll do that as many weekends between 10/1 and 1/1 as I can.

Howard

Offline guzzi2000

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
As the crow flies about 55 miles, but not being a crow it's about 75 one way. When I go there I try and stay for a couple of days at a time. I may have a chance to hunt a spot a couple of miles from where I live which would make it handier and cheaper during the week.
"Our arrows will blot out the sun." "Then we will fight in the shade."

Offline Bushman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
You are fortunate despite the increasing gas prices. I have to go abroad to hunt with the bow. We are working on getting it allowed here as well, but changing the law takes time...
Anyhow - next Monday I head for Quebeq, Canada to hunt caribou :-D

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
Wyoming antelope was 1736 miles last week.  Labor Day will bring a trip through Creede Colorado and another 2096 miles, followed by a trip to the Bighorns 1744 miles , each of these trips pulling a loaded gooseneck horse trailer, plus several trips for whitetails to southern Iowa and Northern Missouri at 60-95 miles each way that could easily exceed another 1500 miles.  I suspect I will log over 7000 miles behind the windshield this fall.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
I have 3 main spots I'm fortunate enough to hunt...A friends vacant farmland()5 minutes, my Uncles swamp/woodlot (30 minutes), and then Shrewhaven(10 hours)...the funny is, so far, the biggest deer have come from the 5 minute away spot!
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©