3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A change of season (oregon blacktail hunt)  (Read 625 times)

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
A change of season (oregon blacktail hunt)
« on: August 24, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
Tomorrow is the opener for Oregon Black tails.  Usually when I hunt I hunt for primarily the "experiance" and just getting out is a success for me, however this year is different.

This coming October, I am going to be moving to Bakersfield Ca.  I know when I first move, and am trying to re-establish my massage practice, things are going to be very financialy tight.  I'll be moving in with my Girlfriend and her daughter and the meat I make this year could really help us save some $ food wise.  This will be my first time hunting with the primary goal of "making meat".  Sure I know I'll enjoy the process still, but the focus is different.  This season to me is about getting it done.  I think I feel a tickle of what my pre-history ancestors must have felt when they HAD to make meat to survive.  Though I am not at that do or die level, I feel a touch of the pressure to produce in a way I have never felt in the past 5 seasons of hunting.

My broadheads are sharpened. Tonight I wash my clothes and fill my day pack. Tomorrow I hunt!

Derek
got arrows?

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A change of season (oregon blacktail hunt)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
Good Hunting Derek, the best of luck.

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
I will be out there with you tomorrow, only in a different section of the state.  Good luck to both of us.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »
Man, that will make you concentrate more and perhaps become a better hunter. Just remember there are no obstacles only opportunities. I wish you well.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
I sit here at my computer between clients and I find myself slipping into what CK dubbed "the fourth world"  I wonder which of the deer I have been watching for the past two weeks will present me the first shot opertunity.  Will it be one of the two dry does?  Will it be one of the five spikes in the area.  Maybe I'll get a shot at the magnificant 3 pointer I have seen on rare occasions.  I smile when I think of the young doe with the twin fawns still in spots.  She's safe from me for this year, but I wonder if how close she'll walk by.  I hope I get a chance to see the little ones play "tag" up close like I have seen through the binocs.  Hey, maybe even the 4x5 I named Prince charming is still hiding out, though I haven't seen him at all since opening day last year.  I know thier usual path, and my hide has produced in years past and feel confident it will again.  I feel the excitement of the hunt as always, but it's mellowed by the gravity of knowing I will be taking life.  I always do my best to honor the deer.  I do so in several ways, one of which is to make my arrows beautiful and my broad heads razor sharp.  I use all that i know how to from their body and always thank them for their sacrfice when I am succesful.  I'll get to do my chores with the knife I made this winter for the first time.  I have practiced a lot this year.  Partly to learn to shoot a long bow, partly to help me through the divorce.  Much has changed for me this past year, and more are yet to come. I wonder, could this be the last year I get to hunt this piece of land?  It's very much a possability.  If so, will the deer remember me two years from now? how about five?  I know I'll remember them forever.
got arrows?

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
In the 4th world "you" create the outcome. Go make a big dream a reality!  :thumbsup:  

I can't wait to see the pics! CK

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
Good luck Brad....
    I head out next Tuesday Morning....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Weasel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
Good luck Brad!  I'm waiting for November myself. Got Thanksgiving week off to chase those little blacktailed devils. Came face to face (about 10 yards) with an honest 160" class buck in the valley while blood trailing another buck. It was a jaw dropper, for sure!

Jerry
I have a free roaming, ranging mind -- sometimes it reports back to me...
---------------------------

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
best wishes Brad on your new life and this season's hunt. your efforts towards preparation for this hunt will no doubt be honored with a full filling bounty.
it's funny how hardships can open our eyes to things we have taken for granted. enter the 4th world...
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
I did an all day sit yestereday.  Had some amazing action.  First thing in the morning I had a HUGE bodied 3 point come in to 15 yards.  He was led in by a dry doe, and I thought for sure he was going to walk right infront of my blind at about 8 yards like she did, however as is often the case with big and old deer, he seemed to have a sixth sense.  At 15 yards, he stopped, then quickly took another path that didn't allow for a shot.  I have never in my life seen a black tail with a body of this size.  He was a TANK.  He also had my knees knocking.   :bigsmyl:    I didn't get any good shot oppertunities yesterday so no shots taken.  Had some close calls and two good adrenalin rushes.  

This morning found me back in the same blind.  Lots of deer traffic this morning and I was able to get two arrows off, sadly, as I usually do the first few shots at deer I was high and the arrows passed over them harmlessly.  I have got to tell myself to "get down" with my point of aim on deer.  Next time.  

I am going to let the place cool off for a few days before I hunt there again.  This afternoon I am going to adjoining property and going to try still hunting something we call the "island". It's actually only an island in the winter when the river is up, right now it's a peninsula. (sp?)   Here are some picts of my blind.

The deer were standing where the sun and shadow line meet.  it's about 20 yards.  

me!

Derek
got arrows?

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »
Nice Camo Derek. Dont worry bout the shots, now you have them lulled into a false sense of complacency. Easy pickins from here on out.    :D  
    Looks like I will miss the cycle Oregon for this year as it has sold out during my indecision. I am going to go ahead and sign up for 2008. Maybe we can try to get on some blacktails then. It is the second week of september.
How did your bow blank finish out? The one I did has become my sole bow until my soothsayer gets here.
I have some shafts that I have been working on that need to made to look a little more respectable on the 3drange, still making pretty arrows? have a great season in the woods.
Brent
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
so why is it that I can hit a 35 pound pig from my knees, but can't hit 100 pound deer while standing?   "[dntthnk]"    
  I drove to the neighbors place, parked, got out and proceded to "the island" for some still hunting.  I don't do much still hunting but I have read G. Fred's book on it several times and I do my best to put his ideas to practice.  It paid off this time.  The smell of Eucaliptis is almost overpowering on this stip of land.  The ground is soft and sandy from days when the river has flooded, but over that is a layer of dry crunchy leaves.  Walking quietly is really difficult, but it's easy to see the deer trails are since thats where the fewest leaves are.  I walked along one trail, taking a few steps then stopping for a few min.  I did this for about two hours.  I then got to an area that just "felt" right.  I looked around and thought "here is a good ambush site and the wind is in my favor" I found a tree down wind of the well used deer trail and leand on it trying to become one with it.  There was a large dead limb that was going to be in my bows way if a deer should come by, so I grabbed it, broke it off with a twist of my arm, and tossed it on the burm to my right side.  When I did that not 10 feet away from me a spotted fawn jumped up from the nasty thickest bunch of bushes around and took off.  Wow, guess my instincts were right about it looking like good deer area. heh.  I knew mom must be around some where.  I felt like I was being watched and when I slowly turned my head I saw mom standing 15 feet behind me trying hard to figure out what I was. We had the usual mexican stand off for close to 30 min.  She finaly left without a sound.  I had a spike come into the area not long after that.  I presented me with a nice braod side shot.  What can I say, at least I didn't shoot over him this time, but under him instead.  I guess yesterday was just not my day. After replying things in my head I think my problem is just not picking a small enough spot.  I think I may be aiming at the "whole" critter instead of a tiny spot on the vitals.  At least I don't seem to be missing left or right so that's a relief.  I am shooting WW on my arrows, and I am having no trouble getting them shaving sharp with just a bastard file.  I'll try and get another short hunt in tonight or tomorrow night after work.

Derek
got arrows?

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
*newsflsh*  My 5:00 client just canceled, so I am going hunting tonight after work for sure.  
just got to pick a spot.
got arrows?

Offline Pac'em out

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
Sounds like it's on, good luck man.

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
I finished what seemed the longest hour of the day, that being my last client, and I was packed up and ready to leave the office in record time.  I got myself home and into my hunting clothes as quick as can be.  I must have looked rather silly wearing some sceant lok pants that were WAAAAY to big for me (I got them cheap at a garage sale, I dont' think scent clothing works at all, but camo is camo and cheap is cheap)a woodland camo teeshirt and over that I put on my ASAT leafy suit jacket.  I LOVE my ASAT.  I jokingly tell myself that it works so well, I can damn near do a jumping jack in it and the deer won't notice. Grabbed my bow and my arrows, and out the door I went.  A short walk found my back in my hunting blind.  I sat and waited, and waited, and waited...and waited.  Finaly the doe with the twin fawns emerged from the brushy edge of the hey field.  Behind the twins came a yearling.  I drew down on the scrawny yearling, but the shot didn't feel right.  I counted cue and let down.  I stayed ready but alas, no other deer came around.  As I walked out, I stopped and admired the full moon basking my hunting ground in her heavenly light. I listened to the crickets.  I with a smile and a light heart I floated back home.

got arrows?

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »
You have already had more excitement than I did all last season Derek.
keep postin the stories buddy
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »
Thanks Brent!  
I must admit that these misses have shaken my confidence a bit, but I have always been the type to get back up on the horse.  It's looking like it will be a few days before I can get back out after them.
got arrows?

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
Great luck to you Bard1!! Sounds like a lot of good adventure and excitment going on.
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
sounds like a succesful hunt to me
St. Joe River Bows

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »
The hunting gods mock me!   :banghead:  
This morning I awoke to look out my window and see three new bucks I have not seen before out in the wheat field.  Two three points and a four.  Not to mention several spikes and does.  Sadly all I get to do is get ready for work instead of being out hunting.
got arrows?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©