3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Kodiaks  (Read 277 times)

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Kodiaks
« on: March 11, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
I decided since I got into trad archery I want to start my own collection of bows.  I am not sure why other than the fact they are awesome bows I want to try to collect different models of the Bear Kodiaks.  I already have a 1966 Kodiak and a 2011 Kmag.  Does anyone know how many different models there are and the model name?  Thanks
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Kodiaks
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
Post this on History/Collecting forum, the guys that hang out there have a wealth of knowledge.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
The quickest way to learn is to get your hands on a complete set of Bear Archery equipment catalogs. There are DVDs available for the "Grayling" years and there are company's that reprint old Bear catalogs.

Obtaining a complete set of Bear Kodiaks is an endeavor many have attempted but few will ever complete due to availability, expense and the magnitude of variations. Some variations that were never even known to exist are still showing up from time to time such as the 56" maple sight window 1959 Kodiak that sold on e8ay several years ago.

Many Kodiaks were offered in multiple lengths, and multiple wood and glass combinations.  Models such as the Kodiak Magnum started in 1961, Kodiak Hunters later in 66 or 67 or heck I don't know when.  

Collections can look very hodge podge unless you narrow your focus and collect Kodiaks with specific years, specific  time frames, specific models, specific lengths or even specific weights. Many folks try to collect all of the Bear offerings in a particular year such as their birth year.  This could include say, an Alaskan, a Panda, a Polar, a Grizzly, a Kodiak, a Kodiak Magnum and a Kodiak Special from 1961 or 1962 or......

And then of course there's all those really neat accessories that are sure to capture the collector's gaze.  The back quivers, the bow quivers, the arrows, the broadheads, the bow cases, the arm guards,  the bowhunter knife and file sets, the belt pouches the..........list goes on and on.

Some think Vintage bows are a good financial investment and that may or may not turn out to be true. For those that collected during the 60s and 70s when classic bows were essentially worth nothing to the parades of guys jumping on the compound train, Kodiaks were no doubt a good investment. many of those bows have appreciated many fold. Today, because of the Internet, availability is greater but competition is also greater which leads to higher prices paid.

It's fun to collect vintage bows. They are fun to shoot. Many are wonderful weapons and still fully capable of anything a new custom bow is.

Ask yourself what you want your collection to look like, do a little research and dive right in. There are still some wonderful discoveries to be made and trust me, you'll meet some great people along the way.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Agree with eveything TRAp had to say. Don't forget either there are TONS of others bows out there to collect other than Bear. It is easy to get hung up on Bear bows and their history (don't be offended I love them too) but when going after the more collectiable ones things can get pricy. When I started getting into old bows I was enamored with everything Bear. After a while I realized I really love the Howatt style design as well as Jack Howard bows. I even know a lady in Texas who loves and collets Browning bows. Just remember there are lots of fish (or bows) in the sea.

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
Thanks guys I didnt even stop and think about everything you mentioned.  But I know I will have fun collecting.  Thanks again.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©