3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: recommend me a compact binocular?  (Read 807 times)

Offline wolf413chris

• Trad Bowhunter
recommend me a compact binocular?
« on: March 11, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
Picking up first binocs. Greatly apprieciate any input. Needs are..

Inexpensive
Pocketable
8 or 10 magnification
Water/fog/humidity resistant or proof
Atleast multi coated
uses>> general/hunting

Under $20 I'm decinding on the celestron upclose g2 in either 8x21 or 10x25

Prefer the higher mag and can keep steady enough.. so my main question (being unexpierienced).. about how much more viewing time would the 8x21 provide over the 10x25 in low light.

I hear the 8x21 lets more light in.. but would only opt to choose that one if say.. id get 20+ more minutes of viewing before sun comes or goes.

Hope its OK to post link..if not plz delete
        http://www.celestron.com/sports_outdoors/series/upclose-g2-binoculars/      

Chris

Ps. Reluctant to look at Bushnell.. heard bad things.

Re: recommend me a compact binocular?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
Leica 10X

Offline wolf413chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
Leica dosnt exactlly fit the inexpensive ($20) req.. not any ive seen.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Binocs are a very precision instrument, so don't plan on getting much binocular for $20.  For that money go with a porro prism design from a dealer that will let you return them.  I would recommend the 8 power and unless you really NEED them to be small, at least a 30 mm objective lens.  My daily carry binocs are 7x30.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Leupold Yosemite's, not exactly under 20 bucks but excellent glass for the money.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Not meant to be sarcastic but $20 binoculsrs are a waste of $20.

John

Offline wolf413chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
There are some nikons and celestrons I like in the range of 7-10 x 35-50 for around $60-$100 that got good reviews I plan on getting in the future but for now just wanted a cheaper pocket size.

Heard some good things on the upclose G2 in the low cost category. Just curious how those might compare in low light preformance.

Np John ur input is welcome.
anyone feel in that price/size there's anything away from the "toy" category?

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
Eagle Optics

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/eagle-optics  

I have a pair of Eagle Optics and I'd put them up against all the high price brands. I have used a friend's Leicas and these are so close you can't tell.

Sorry just noticed the $20... good luck.

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
Bought the Cabela's Alaskan guide compacts and really pleased with them.  But they are not in the $20 range either.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline twistedlim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
The great Swami predicts you will get exactly what you pay for... :)

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
I started with small cheap binos and ended up never using them. They just sucked. Really turned me off to binos in general and I went years without a pair. I was finally convinced to get a pair for a trip I had out west. I saved up and bought a nice pair of 10x42's. not small enough for a pocket but they fit in a bag and I don't even notice them when I wear them with a bino harness. I take them on every single hunt now. I love them. If I were you I would make do without them for now, as ones in that price range will suck( sorry) and just save as long as it takes to get a nice pair that you will love and use for years.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
Afraid you will need to spend a little more than $20.00.

I have two pair of Nikons, Venturer II's 8 by 23 and Sporstar I's, 8 by 20, that are great for hunting.  Small enough to put in your shirt pocket but they are $100.00.

Offline wolf413chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
Well dang Hehe. Ty all for the info. I think ill scrap the low cost idea then. Don't like throwing my money away.

Think ill grab something like the celestron outland x or Nikon action Monarch series or leupold

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
Given your constraints and budget the 8 power will let in slightly more light with the emphasis on 'slightly': .026 vs .025-not enough to worry about. Like others have suggested don't buy either-save a bit more money.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
I bought a cheap pair of Bushnell's the first time I went deer hunting $*&^ years ago. I wound up throwing them off a cliff. Then I bought some Zeiss glasses and have never looked back. I am, though, considering some Leupold compacts since I no longer need the 10x magnification I needed when I lived in the desert of SE NM.
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline wolf413chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Andy Cooper:
I bought a cheap pair of Bushnell's the first time I went deer hunting $*&^ years ago. I wound up throwing them off a cliff. Then I bought some Zeiss glasses and have never looked back. I am, though, considering some Leupold compacts since I no longer need the 10x magnification I needed when I lived in the desert of SE NM.
Lol.. maybe ill save the $20 and go looking around the bottom of cliffs.

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
Same as Huntryx. Leica 10x.

Grouse

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rick Butler:
Leupold Yosemite's, not exactly under 20 bucks but excellent glass for the money.
x2

I understand being broke but $20 binoculars in reality probably won't help out much unless its broad daylight.  The times that they are most useful, especially when bowhunting, is at first and last light.  Then is when the critters are moving and then is when cheap optics become worthless.  

I saved Gander Mountain gift cards for a while from family/friends until I could buy the 8x30 Yosemites.  I looked through about 30 different pairs of binoculars priced from $30-$200 before settling on the Yosemites.  To my eyes they were as bright and clear as any pair I tried under $200.  Their color holding true to the original image wasn't as nice as one other pair I tried but it is more than good enough.  They are fairly small, light weight, and have a lifetime warranty.  I've hunted them a good bit now and love them.  I can see things through them for about 15-20 minutes past when I can see without them to give you an idea of the image quality and brightness.

They are not as nice (optically speaking) as some of my really high end scopes ($500+) but they are   extremely good quality for the price paid.  I'd say optically they are on par with the Leupold VX-2 line of scopes in general.  

For anyone that isn't in a position to buy the best regardless of cost, I'd highly recommend them as they are an exceptional value for what you get.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rick Butler:
Good advice, also check out some of the Vortex offerings.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
Nikon on the low end are be had for around $100, $20 would be throwing your money away. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©