3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sat on log with my Uncle today  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sat on log with my Uncle today
« on: August 24, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
Kind of a bittersweet day in the woods today. It's my dear, ancient Uncle Jacks birthday, and as has become our little mini tradition, I drove him out to his hunting property.He likes to go out there about this time of year, and have me hang and re-hang the "Posted" signs. He had to give up hunting about 4 years ago thanks to a stroke, 2 bypasses, and Parkinsons. He was able to get around pretty good today, we walked most of the perimeter of his swamp,arriving at his favorite sitting spot. We sat on a log, and he started talking. It was all about hunting, about everything from my immigrant Irish Great Grandfather poaching deer in the early 1900's (to stay alive)to the piles of venison Jack and I have killed together.He re-told me about finding his own Father (my Grandfather) dead of a heart attack in the woods, after killing his last buck.We laughed about deer we have both missed, and the ones we hung up.

We tried to count how many deer he and I have killed in the general area of the log we were sitting on...we quit thinking at 18. We shared a chunk of his favorite Colby cheese and drank root beer.  

This is the Old Man who stepped in and became my Father figure at age 11 or so. If it weren't for him I would have never became as addicted to the outdoors as I am. ALL of my good childhood memories are of being in the woods, with him. He was never much of a bowhunter, but still revels in my bowhunting. I call him every evening driving home from the hunt, and he wants to hear of every animal sighted. When we talk about shots passed up on deer, he always asks "Could you have killed him with a rifle?" Thats kind of his "benchmark"...when I answer yes, it's as good as if we were both there and killed it.

I suppose what got to me today was all of the talking. He and I have spent thousands of miles in the cab of a pickup and said hardly a word. Today he was inclined to tell me ALL of the stories of our families hunting history. Kind of a sad thing.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sat on log with my Uncle today
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
I see it as a joyous thing. Those memories and having the chance to share them is something you can never lose now. Uncle jack sounds like the kind of fellow a lot of youngsters could use in their lives these days. good on you for making his birthday something special to him.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
I'm sure you have and will cherish every word from this day on...

Thanks for sharing.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 03:59:00 PM »
Great read rogger,, I hope your unlce has many more years of stories to tell,,I couldn't imagine not being able to hunt,,we take it so granted sometimes,  :(  ,I took my grand mother for a short walk in the woods this spring,,she loved it since she hadn't stepped foot in it for years,,I love to listen more than talk,,(most of the time) esecially when there more to learn from it,,Take care Roger and hope to see you in the future sometime,,Jason B.
TGMM

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
" Ilove to listen more than talk"...yep, with the Old-Timers, it's my favorite thing to just be quiet, ask a few questions, and listen.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
Roger  I am trying to do that with my grandson not real old yet but not getting any younger.Loved your story.Kip

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
That story reminds me of one I read by Steve Chapman about his father, or Grandfather, I can't remember which, who was suffering from alsheimers and one fall day he was missing, as was his old truck.  They found him in an area he used to hunt and he had shot a buck and was walking in a different time in his mind when he was younger and hunted.  It was a touching story.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
That's top notch right there Roger.  It makes a guy think about the person that got them into the outdoors.  Hopefully he has a few more years worth of stories and "could you have killed him with a rifle" left in him.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
Roger,

I'll offer some advise if I may. Write down what you can of todays stories, it will make passing them on easier and more meaningful. I look back on the stories that my grandfather and his mother had told me and I know I am missing some of them. Time has a way of slipping the details .

Sean

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
sounds loke a great day to me
St. Joe River Bows

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing and making us think!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
"He and I have spent thousands of miles in the cab of a pickup and said hardly a word."

Sometimes people can teach without saying a word by the example they set. There aren't enough people like your uncle nowadays.

Mark
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
Thanks Roger

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
Felt like I was right there on the log. Thanks Roger.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
Roger, Thank you for sharing your day with us. What I felt while reading your post, was that you haves a very special bond with your uncle....a relationship that many of us wish we had. Your time spent together today was therapy of the best kind for him. He had a chance to share with you and to relive experiences that defined his life as well as his relationship with you and family members that have passed on before him. You feel sadness now, but as I time passes, I beleive that this day will be looked back upon as one of true blessings. As we get older and our bodies start to fail, all we have left are the memories and God Bless you for being there to give him a reason to share and to "be young" again! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
Thanks Roger...Your post brought back many old memories.  My Uncle Frank introduced me to the outdoors and was my mentor while teaching me how to hunt and fish.  He's been gone quite a few years now but the memories will be with me forever.

Offline Mark Smeltzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
That's a great story, thanks for sharing.

Mark

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Roger . You just brought back some great memories of my Grandfather for me. Kinda makes you wonder, who are we making memories for?
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Sounds like a great day and a great man
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
Roger, did he say, "thank God we're us"?

You need to carry a tape recorder with you next time so you'll have his words of wisdom to play for your kids some day.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©