3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever...PLEASE READ...  (Read 180 times)

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever...PLEASE READ...
« on: March 11, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
The death of a friend's brother due to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever has me reevaluating my own preparedness.  I thought I'd post up a thread to remind everyone that you can't be overly cautious in dealing with ticks.

First and foremost, educate yourself on the symptoms of tick-borne diseases. Some are subtle, at first. If you, like Jason, my friend's younger brother, mistake the symptoms for something else, the results can be fatal.

Here are a few links that may prove helpful:

http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/index.html
 http://www.cdc.gov/rmsf/
 http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/
 http://www.tickinfo.com/permethrin.htm

I highly recommend applying a permethrin mixture or spray to all of your hunting clothes. You apply it and let it dry before wearing, and it will last from 2-6 weeks. I usually apply it once every month to my outer shells, hats, gloves (anything I don't wash regularly). Items that get washed on a regular basis, I coat at least every couple of weeks.

Do not only rely on permethrin to protect you. A good topical repellant is a must. Personally, I think you can't do better than 3M's Ultrathon. Whatever you choose, IMO, it should have at least a 20% deet concentration.

Clothing-wise, it's always a good idea to have as much coverage over your skin as you can tolerate. Pant legs should be tucked into your boots, or wear some gaiters.  Long sleeves protect better than short, and your sleeve ends should be snug against your wrists. Don't forget your crack. Make sure your shirt tails cover you when you bend and sit.

The last line of defense is to have a good visual inspection. You really should give yourself a good going over after a day in the woods, even if your camping. It's best to have an understanding wife, but you can do it yourself. A couple of mirrors can be of great benefit.  Use your fingernails to go over areas you can't see. Us bearded folks need to make extra sure to check under our chins. The scalp, behind the ears, the neck line, arm pits, etc., are all common spots to check, but don't forget the backs of your legs and arms, your back and your butt, and pretty much any crack or crevice on your body.

If you do find one attached, it's best to remove it with some tweezers. Make sure you don't squeeze the body while you're removing it, though. Tick innards are not something you want floating around in your blood stream.  http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/removing_a_tick.html

Ticks aren't something to be taken lightly, but they shouldn't hinder you from enjoying yourself. Just take some extra precautions.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Re: Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever...PLEASE READ...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
Is it that time of the year again?
Good on you for posting this reminder! It is easy to pretend this is the type of thing that only happens to other people.

When I was spending my summers down here, two of my co-workers contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever while we were on a work hitch in eastern Oregon (near John Day). One of them was laid up in the hospital for a week or so. He said he was hurting so bad it was painful to move his eyeballs.

Be careful out there this spring and summer!

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
For the skin Badger, for the kids skin Badger ! I have been using it in N.J. and P.A, and MD, great stuff, now ticks, no stinking chiggers either, but it's not cheap, smells good to.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
My brother died of Rocky Mountain Spotted fever back in 1975 at the age of 14.

Thanks for the reminder and info Looper. Ticks are not to be taken lightly or as just an irritant, they can be very deadly.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
These are very unpleasant but extremely necessary reminders. The advice regarding permethrins is especially valuable. I don't know anyone who has had Rocky Mountain spotted fever, but I know of several who have had Lyme disease. Ticks are bad news!
Sam

Offline Richard in OK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
You can buy trousers and shirts (and other stuff) pre-treated with permethrin and supposedly good through 70 washings. I have a set, and have had no ticks when wearing them. I think it's called Elimitick.

Richard

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©