3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I'm home from myTrue South Adventure!!I  (Read 992 times)

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm home from myTrue South Adventure!!I
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2013, 06:44:00 AM »
Sean is hunting turkeys this morning with Kent filming.I'm heading up today to guide Sean in am.

Kent didn't have any luck with the hogs but had three hens 10 yards away from his blind yesterday, two had beards!
We will keep you posted on Sean's hunt.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
Sean had an eventful morning at the "new grove".

I will let him fill you in......

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
If he can talk about it....

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
I am waiting patiently!!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
:pray:  Com'on buddy...please tell me you got your Osceola!!   :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
Ah no no no.....sorry guys, going to have to wait a bit.  I can't type all this stuff out on an iPhone ...can't post pics either..I'll be on tomorrow at some point.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
No Way Sean!  Tell me Now Buddy!  I cant wait!  I am so excited for you!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
Cmon Sean....give us the low down....

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Alright, alright...I'm home.  Now I have a computer to type on, I'll see what I can come up with.

After missing my original flight and being on standby for two others, I finally arrived in
Ft. Peirce about 3:30 in the afternoon.  Irv met me at the hotel.  After our introductions we met up with Kent at roadside "everything" store.  
after catching up a little, we decided to sit a hog stand.  There was a storm coming.  With the wind whipping up, & my exhaustion from traveling, we decided to call it a day and grab a bite to eat.

After much needed sleep, Kent and Irv met me at my room.  Jim and Irv decided to have me sit the blind that Ken killed is gobbler from, hoping he had a brother. We setup be fore dark, and Kent sat with me to hopefully catch something on video.  As the sun started to make an appearance, Kent stirred up a few hens with a slate.  No gobbling.  I joined in with some soft tree yalps from my mouth call and got a few more hens to speak up.  They started to fly down. After awhile, I decided to dial it up to see if I could either fire up a gobbler, or agitate a hen so's to get her to come in looking to whoop some @$$. Alone came in, but not the way that I'm used to.  An eastern would come in yalping and cutting with an angry disposition. She came in yalping very softly and in a very small cadence.

She walked off, so Kent and I caught up some more while sitting in the blind.  Every 20mor 30 minutes I'd let out a few more yalps and cuts. About 10 O'clock another hen came.  no gobbler in tow.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2013, 12:50:00 PM »
I kept her around with some purrs and soft yalps from my mouth call...there's nothing better than a live decoy!  It was a really nice morning, but Kent had a plane to catch, so we called it a morning.  

I really enjoyed that morning hunt with Kent.  I met Kent in 2010 on a bear hunt at Squapan Mt. and we just really hit it off.  He's actually the one who put the turkey slam in my brain, being that he's already done it.

So, we grabbed a quick lunch and Kent and I said our goodbys.

Irv and I walked a piece of their lease looking for a spot where we might ambush a gobbler. I got a gobbler going that was down on another piece of property.  He gobbled a few more times, so I set up to see if I could coax him in.  He was a ways off and there was a man on a tracker in the field in between us, so I gave up on him.

We set a blind up in the "woods" where the birds were roosted that morning.  Nothing showed but a few raccoons and 2 armadillos.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
Jim took a day off from work to come up and meet me.  I thought that was just awesome.  Jim and Irv are two of the nicest most down to earth guys that you ever want to meet.  They both try their hardest to get you what you want.

we set a blind up in the dark at a place where Jim had seen turkeys crossing before.  After setting the blind up and heading back to our cars, we stood there awhile getting to know each other a little better.

The next morning I was in the blind. The sun started to come up, and I could hear a gobbler or two in the distance. I softly called through out the morning....nothing cept a horse and two cows!  Another storm was coming so the wind was a bit heavy. About 11, I decided to walk the property a little.

Jim, Irv and I met up at the cars for lunch. Pulled pork and fried oacra!!  It was awesome!  I did a little bow fishing to pass the time till the storm blew over.  It was getting late, Jim left so Irv and I went and scouted a new lease.

I the far NEern corner of the orange grove had a nice amount of sign.  Lotsa dusting bowls and droppings. I figured a travel path and set the blind up in the second row of orange trees, tucked in between two of them.  We brushed it in alittle..I was excited!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
I'm not going to spoil Sean's story, but he might keep all of you in suspense for a bit longer. I think he got home immediately and had some family fun to take care of.
Some guys are really lucky.
I can just say this: It was I who feels gratified to have hunted with two of the most talented, yet humble trad guys...Kent, and Sean. We three had a fun night of relaxation at one of the local seafood joints at the wharf prior to Kent's flight home.
This guy Sean...well...he sounds more like a turkey than a turkey does. to say he is a good caller is an understatement.
Overall it is such a pleasure to guide guys who do not have to have their hand held. Super nice guys, super good hunters, really fun!
Sean had a great time shooting fish in the canal too, topped off by a couple of tasty Tillapia fillets. Good shooting!
Thanks for hunting with us. Now back to the search for more good properties.
Irv Eichorst
True South Adventures.
Irv Eichorst

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
Thanks for the nice words Irv!  I had a blast, I can't even begin to tell you!!  I'm trying to down load pictures, but I can't figure this new photobucket out.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
Oh well, I'll continue with out the pics for now.  

Irv brought me to the blind early yesterday morning. He was kind enough to pack me a lunch that woulda put my mother to shame!!Iplanned on being there for the long haul.  It was a beautiful early morning.  there was a light chill and the stars were out in full force.  These are my favorite mornings to hunt turkeys. I settled in the blind, I was set.  I was whatching a beautiful sun rise.....then I asked my self, " why am I able to see the sun???"  Ut oh, it was over cast when we set the blind up and I was so excited, I forgot to take the direction into consideration.  Well I just figure that Ill just sit way in the back of the blind.

It was a still morning. I would hear a bird gobble on roost a few hundred yards in the distance. That was encouraging.  I waited till full light and let out a few mating yalps with a few purrs.  I did this every 20/30 minutes.  About 10:15, I happen to look to my right through the double bulls long window, I see a scarlet head! Hes coming the exact way I figured he would.  He's coming in quiet. My bows up and ready.  He gets just to the right of a small orange tree and I notice that hes looking right into my blind. Im frozen. he walks right to that goofy looking jake decoy.  I slowly put tension on the string and he does a 180 and turns to run, I just grip it and rip it, clean miss just in front of him, he flies off across the canal to the next grove.  I fell apart!!  I was shaking the same as if I had just arrowed him.  I think that the sun shining in the blind and me not wearing face camo gave me away.  My personal blind has shoot through screens so I usually don't wear any thing on my face.

Dumb mistake on my part.  But that didn't take anything away from the excitement of the hunt.  It was awesome!!I was just as happy to have called an Osceola in.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
Photobuckets not cooperating.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
Sounds like a blast! Hope to see some photos soon.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
Sounds like you had a blast Sean,  That is the epitomy of the hunt!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I really did.  Its not the destination, its the journey.  I knew it wasn't a real "miss" as far as the bow goes, I messed the set up, up.

I stayed in the blind till about 3.  By then, I was spent.  I went and did some more bowfishing, whacking a few more gar and tilapia.  I grabbed a bite to eat, spent a little more time hanging out with Irv, then I was on my way home.

The most important thing that comes from these hunts are the friendships. I left Florida feeling like I grew up living next door to Jim and Irv.  If any of you have a desire to hunt hogs or turkeys, Give Jim a call. Those Osceola's are a challenge!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline redpepper49

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing a great hunt.

Offline squapan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
Sounds like a blast Sean! Sounds like a hunt i'd like to do sometime!
Tony
T boucher/squapan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©