3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Frogg Toggs rain gear?  (Read 575 times)

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Frogg Toggs rain gear?
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
I've carried the frog toggs in my pack while elk hunting... but have never needed it. I agree that it seems very "tearable" (or is it terrible?).   :saywhat:  

I've been very lucky... not encountering much rain during elk hunts. The few showers I've experienced were short lived and I waited them out under cover. Therefore... I haven't needed rain gear that I had to hunt in.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
Noisy and they take up too much room in my pack.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »
Great product!!! For fishing that is. I have a set that I fish in and they have lasted me about 6-7 years now. Alot more durable than you think. With that said, I would not wear them into the woods for hunting. They were designed for fishing and rightfully so. But hunting they have no business in!!! IMO.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
Another vote for the poncho, they cover your pack, can be used as a ground cloth for laying quarters on, overnite shelter if need be, there's one in my pack no matter what or where I'm hunting  

Steve

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
I use Mad Dog raingear nice and soft on the outside and offers good protection. Another option if it is a quick storm is to hide under a big pine and wait out the raincloud.

Offline Benner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
I used Peter Storm rain gear the last time I was in Alaska. It rained for 9 days straight. I stayed dry. It's pretty quiet too.

Offline J.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
If your looking for the rain gear for you elk hunt you can't go wrong with cabels space rain.  packs very small, weighs almost nothing, and is resonably quiet(I don't hear it over the rain).  It's not the most durable but isn't bad I tore my space rain pants when I triped on a blow down elk hunting in Idaho.  I found that it is easily patched though, I cut the pack bag that it comes in apart (same material)and just super glued it over the tear, has held for 5 years now and is still water proof.
70" [email protected] Northern Mist Classic
70" 73@32 Northern Mist Whitbeck

Michigan Longbow association

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
I have a Frog Toggs wading jacket that is a great fishing rain cover. A bit noisy for hunting.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »
I've got a set of Frogg Toggs that I've had for probably close to 8 or 9 years and they're still in fine shape, but that's because I rarely wear them.  Like others said above, they are not very durable.  One walk through a small briar patch and they would be torn to shreds.  They almost feel like a thick paper towel material to me, seriously.

That being said, they are super breathable compared to a lot of other rain gear I've worn, they pack down very small, they are SUPER lightweight and mine have never gotten a hole in them.  At first they were very noisy, but I put them in the dryer with an old pair of tennis shoes for about an hour, and that softened them up quite a bit.  Still they do make some noise.  Basically, they make a good set of back up rain gear or the kind of stuff you would wear around camp.  They would be fine for elk hunting if you plan on hunting until it rains, put on the Frogg Toggs, sit down and wait out the rain, take the Frogg Toggs off and then commence to hunting again.

I just haven't found that perfect rain gear yet, but then again I don't hunt a lot in the rain either, so no big deal.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©