3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrows and wraps  (Read 376 times)

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood arrows and wraps
« on: March 12, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
Would a fella be able to put a wrap on a wood arrow? Ill only be making a dozen arrows and don't want to spend alot of money on paints and stuff, thanks!
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline jeffg

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood arrows and wraps
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
I have done it. Besure you get the wraps that are an inch wide for wood or aluninum the ones for carbons are to narrow.
66" Dave Miller Sage
64" Fox Triple crown
66" Nothern Mist American

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
Done it. Don't like it, but it works.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
I use them mainly because it's easier to refletch. They work well and look good.

You'll find some cool ones in the Tradgang store and Onestringer, a sponsor here, will surely have something you like. As mentoned, make sure you get the wider ones for wood arrows.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
A spray can of paint and some masking tape is less than $10.  Will look a lot better than wraps, IMO, but, whatever floats your boat.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
sure can

But I saw an article in PA about using shrink tubing.
Can easily be removed without residue

could be an option
Slickhead

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
Stain you crown a different color then the bottom. Put bright feathers on them. Looks a lot better then wraps on wood. Why use wood if your going to put wraps on them get aluminum or carbon shafts for wraps.

Schafer Silvertip

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
You blaspheme!     :laughing:    :laughing:
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 11:05:00 PM »
You're killin' me.....wraps for woodies....   :eek:

Do as Craig suggested before going to wraps...please.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline BowDiddle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
I've seen wraps that look as good as any of the best cresting jobs out there.

The only down side is there will always be a seam with a wrap, but good wraps properly installed, and the seam is insignificant, and hardly noticeable.

In short - use the wraps if you want to. It's you you're looking to please, not any of us. 8^)

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 01:16:00 AM »
Don't put wraps on wood, Dude! You can MAKE some cool stuff for cheaper. A little creativity goes a long way...

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
I agree with everyone here, a can of spraypaint and a roll of masking tape will nget you a better product and actually be cheaper than wraps. 1 can of paint shoudl do many dozen arrows, as will the one roll of masking tape.

Online Bowsey Wails

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Timmy P
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
The only advantage to a wrap is the ability to remove fletching by removing the wrap. This WILL remove the finish from the woodie, but it will not remove wood or gouge the wood.
Tim
"I use no device to direct my arrow towards its mark, save my eyes and my will." Anthony Camera, aka Viper.
I'm not old school, I'm one room school house.

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
Any certain kind of spray paint or will any work. I'm wanting a orange crown with 4 orange barred feathers and an orange nock
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
I am like original poster.....dont want the expense and mess of dipping and cresting at the moment...dont like the look of spray paint but love wood arrows.  Just dont have the time and space to do it right...without making wife mad for fear of having accident in office on carpet....and garage is full to the max already with cars, motorcycles, canoe, camping, hunting stands,etc...haha

And you are not going to do crisp cresting with a spray can and most of the sharpie work I see is dismal at best.  I like crisp lines and good colors if I am going to do them.....or will leave stained only.

I designed my wraps at onestringer to match my actual painted arrow design I have used for over 20 years.  Got first batch last week and other than the yellow being a bit more green than I wanted....look great.  See for yourself if you can tell....

I dare say if I took the wrap to the edge of the nock you would not be able to tell a difference if you were honest.  Especially compared to some old arrows in box behind it....

These are douglas fir shafts that I lightly burned with a torch to give some contrast in addition to the natural woodgrain.... and two coats of Minwax stain-sealer and then three coats of wipe-on poly before adding the wrap.

Wraps are very high quality...very thin..stick as if they were shrink wrapped they are so tight as I messed up one and took a while to remove but with no wood damage....and you wont find the seam on mine unless you look very, very, very closely.  Plus I bought the size for 23/64 so I could just use one size for both my shaft diameters...outstanding product.

Only thing about plain wraps is they will have a scuff on them when you shoot them unless you add the protective coat that is offered.  I usually only practice with one arrow from each dozen with so not an issue with me.

if you want to use them...then do it. hell with everyone else LOL.  I would get from onestringer though...I got some clear ones from 3Rivers to try as was worried about fletching sticking to arrows with no sealant added after Minwax stain-sealer as it is a little waxy sometimes.  Worked out nice but like OneStringer better.  You can use one of their hundreds of designs or do like I did and I got one of my arrows out and copied the design...and of two others I have....and they save in your account for use over again.

http://www.onestringer.com/
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
You have to seal the wood arrows anyway, so taken a few extra minutes and dipping or spraying or just plain old painting a crown on is not that bad and I agree that wraps on woodies just seems weird. Shawn
Shawn

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
I do all of my arrow making (except for fletching) in my unheated shop.  Temperatures have been below 60 for quite a while.  If I need to make arrows for a hunting trip or a new bow for a 3D shoot or whatever, how do folks so adamant about not using wraps on wood suggest that I make them?  When I've got the right temps, I dip my arrows.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
Everything I use I can do them right in the house no smell. Been making them for over 20 years. Do you ever paint your house. You can also use house paint for the crown to keep the smell down. Dip with clear water base poly, also no smell. testors for cresting. Making wood arrows is all about the fun of making arrows.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
I have considered a clear wrap for just under the fletching to keep the glue from biting into the finish and make an easier refletch.

The only warm place I have to make arrows is in the house, no basement. I tried, on a whim, using those 8 oz. sample cans Home Depot will mix for $3, any color you want. Thinned it down well and used it for my crown dip. Worked well, no smell, water clean up. The only small issue is it is a very flat paint and my crestor left tracks in it so I did a quick overdip befor cresting the others.

Eric

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
clear them before you crest, no marks. I have lost or broke an arrow before it ever needs refletched. I have taken feathers off with a single edge razer blade and refletch before. It's not hard to do. Steel wooled and restained, cleared, refletched. Just can't be in a hurry.
Schafer Silvertip

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©