3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sharpening Simmons..success!  (Read 231 times)

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
Sharpening Simmons..success!
« on: March 12, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
Been trying out the various techniques for sharpening Treesharks . I had success with most but I found the Steelmaster to be best all around. Other methods posted here work well, one in particular but it required a guide that would wear quickly. I wanted a system that didnt wear out and I think the Steelmaster fits the bill. It was foolproof if you follow the directions. I took a raw head to super sharp in well under 5 minutes and Dave told me I'm slow! It was the first few tries. Anyways, it is easy, portable, and should not wear out. I am impressed. Got job Dave at Simmons   :clapper:
DonD

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sharpening Simmons..success!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
Those Steelmasters are excellent. I use mine for any 2 blade and knives too. I also use it to get the burr off after using other sharpening methods. A few strokes with those ceramic rods just gets them popping hair quickly. I keep an extra in my Go-Bag.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
i just killed a nice wild boar with a Tree Shark,very impressive damage and only 30 yards recovery. It took me more than 5' to made it razor sharp,but I was satisfied by the work.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
That's what I use with good success.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
I have one and have not been able to get the Tiger Shark sharp   :help:  what am I doing wrong   :dunno:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
Haven't tried it on a that head. I put the treeshark in the vise with the bevel close to centered front to back and near horizontal . A couple dozen strokes as directed in the instructions on each side until you feel a burr. Rotate the clamp as instructed and finish with the sticks. Light pressure is all you need and you must raise a burr with the file.
DonD

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
I've had good success with the Tiger Sharks and Steelmaster.  x2 on what alligatordond said.

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
I like using the jewel stick with the clamp but you do wear done the clamp. I killed a buck, doe and 2 hogs this year with Intercertors! All were passthroughs except the doe, I broke 2 ribs going in but I still had a exit hole. I killed both pigs with the same head without touching it up, shot the first pig on friday with a complete passthrough then shot the next pig on saturday with a pass through! I could still pop hair off my arm with the broadhead after going through 2 pigs. I love Simmons heads!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
I used the jewel stik and clamp. Great method but I went through a clamp quickly. The Steelmaster seems to be much more durable, and quicker!
DonD

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
.....but I'm keeping my clamp and jewelstik as a backup! That edge is a bit more finished.
DonD

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
I use the steelmaster, but it really doesn't seem to get them much sharper than I can with the wheelie.  Love that little gadget.  Glad you found something that works great for you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©