3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: riser mass and accuracy?  (Read 509 times)

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
riser mass and accuracy?
« on: March 13, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
Do you think a heavier mass riser provides for more accurate shooting that a much lighter one or that they are equal and dependent upon the shooter?

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: riser mass and accuracy?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
I think more mass does help.
It HAS to be more stable..simple physics.

However, a better grip can easily trump more mass.

The trick is to find the right combo the fits you.
...it can be a long search...but it's fun!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »
Yep I agree John. I think that mass is a bit more important as the distance increases. I totally agree bout the grip. Its eveything.

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
I also agree. Ive been a longbow shooter for 20years, recently picked up a new mojostik, a 50s style recurve and love it, i shoot it a little better than my longbows. Now this week i got a used Habu Bushmaster, huge riser, lot of mass wt. and wow can i shoot that thing, i have never shot recurves till this past December when i got my Mojostik. Now my Habu, i believe i should have at least tried recurves before, i may never shoot longbows again, i am loving recurvesand the extra mass in the risers.
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple
Dwyer Original, Stewart Slammer, Bear Cub, TT Black Magic, RC Extremes, selfbows

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
I like heavier mass in a riser.

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
Certainly has to do with the shooter but a heavier riser will offer greater stability.  That's not to say that a very light bow cannot be accurate as well.  It will be as stabile as the shooter can hold it.

Kris

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
I may be the odd man out here, but - I think a heavy riser may lead to a dropping of the bow arm due to the extra mass if the shooter is not careful.

I think the main factors in accuracy are the shooter and how the grip on the bow matches the shooters style.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
I know alot say the heavier riser helps with stability.But to also most larger riser recurves are cut past center making them alittle easier to tune and  be accurate for the recurve shooter.I started out shooting longbows and have always preferred them.I feel its all it what you prefer to shoot.I just never really cared for a recurve type grip.I'm more accurate with a longbow then a recurve.But then for me I'm  more used to shooting longbows.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »
Added mass to improve shot stability is why some shooters use stabilizers.  Look at the competitive compound target shooters as perfect examples.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
Funny though that most of the greats shoot longbows, Ron Laclair, Howard Hill, Byron Ferguson, Bob Swinehart and so on. I believe a lot has to do with the grip and the nut shooting the bow. I myself like a fairly heavy riser but can shoot a bow with the same grip that is quite light equally well. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Walker:

Originally posted by Zradix:
I think more mass does help.
It HAS to be more stable..simple physics.

However, a better grip can easily trump more mass.

The trick is to find the right combo the fits you.
...it can be a long search...but it's fun!
I totally agree and I've found I prefer a medium mass weight set-up. [/b]
I happen to agree with both of these comments.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
Grip trumps mass in my book.  No torque and not dropping your bow arm is better than all the stability of a heavier riser.

Just another person's opinion though
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Rifle River Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
This is one of those 6 of one and half dozen of the other discussions.
I prefer light in the hand myself.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
Absolutely the Grip! I personally like a light mass weight bow and with the right grip i can make it talk! while i'm at it, the grip should be flat and actually should feel good in either hand. IMHO.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
Yes.  In the manner of reducing some of the twitch errors that can bedevil us.  But there are delights of delicate bows that make them attractive as well.  My Red Wing Hunter weighs less than half what my Browning Explorer does - both one-piece recurves.  I treasure them both.

A Cadillac Escalade rides smoother than an Audi Quatro; but there are other considerations.    :archer:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
I may be the odd man out here, but - I think a heavy riser may lead to a dropping of the bow arm due to the extra mass if the shooter is not careful.

I think the main factors in accuracy are the shooter and how the grip on the bow matches the shooters style.

x2 perfectly stated
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
I too love the looks of a fine longbow. I tend to shoot my longbows better than my curves, not sure why??  But, that being said I imagine its like a target or varmint rifle where the extra mass does help steady it a bit.

Offline Ajooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
I'm a mass weight guy myself but I have lighter curves and longbowz well.  As mentioned above you need to find a hand position that works for the particular bow and grip style.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
I shake like a dog passing a peach seed so I need as much mass weight as possible.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »
The more mass the better for me. It's easier to keep it steady during the shot. The heavier it is the harder it is to move it. But it depends on what you are shooting at too. For me with big game animals I like a lot of mass. But if you are into shooting aerial targets, birds etc. you may want much lighter mass weight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©