3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DAS Dalaa problem  (Read 251 times)

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
DAS Dalaa problem
« on: March 13, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
Got a new dalaa from 3R. 17" dalaa riser and carbon foam longbow  limbs 50#@28", long length to make a 64" bow. This is my first time with a bow like this, all my others are wood bows. I really liked the idea of a heavier riser, so I decided to try the dalaa.

I also ordered one of 3R high performance laser strings. It came with cat whiskers installed, but after 6 shots, both had fallen off of the string! I installed more whiskers and kept trying to tune the bow.

I shoot 30" arrows, and this bow seemed to like 400 spine, so I tried my GT 5575 with 175 gr up front and my easton 2117 with 125 gr up front. Both arrows fly well and without fletching they indicate very slightly stiff. With fletching they're dead on.

The problem is that this bow sounds noisy to me. It makes a definite "thum" sound no matter where I move the silencers or set the brace.  The recommended brace is 7-73/4, and i tried different spots up and down that range. Also, I got one of those Tight spot quivers to mount on it and that thing makes a slight buzzing noise from the hood when I pluck the string or shoot!

After my last shooting session, I noticed that the limb screws (on the belly side of the bow) had loosened due to the vibration. I tightened them and after a dozen or so more shots, they had loosened somewhat again.  I also removed the shelf screw and installed a NAP center rest to see if that might quiet it down, and didn't notice any difference.

I called 3R, and didn't get much help. The bow owners manual didn't have any info written in it on the "factory settings" page, so they basically told me to do what I was doing. They did say that the bow would be noisier than some wood bows.

I was just wondering if anyone has had similar experience, and what they did to correct, before I give up and send her back to 3R.

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: DAS Dalaa problem
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Well, I've owned a dalaa for several years, and I've also owned a couple of sets of recurve limbs that 3rivers sells for them, however I have no experience with the longbow limbs. I love the bow, but its definitely noisy when compared to my others that I consider "quiet", and especially the foam core limbs have quite a hum or thump when you shoot. I'd say your only option for a truly quiet setup is to look into ILF longbow or recurve limbs by other bowyers, and install DAS bushings to fit your riser.

I don't like the noisy bow, but it shoots so well, and tunes so easily, that I kinda learn to live with it. Also, arrow weight makes a big difference with these bows in particular from my experience, so stay at or above 10 gpp. If you're shooting 3 under, adjust the bow to zero tiller, but that should be in the manual also.

Good luck, Zane

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
2 thoughts, check the brass collars on the limb bolts that they are not buzzing, also check tiller. I shoot mine even tiller.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
What are you doing for tiller? What draw weight?

Could be tune issue, arrow hitting something our light arrow.

I have had my issues with a couple carbon foam long bows and noise.

You can always try some limb savers. The little ones work on quivers also.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
Well, I've owned a dalaa for several years, and I've also owned a couple of sets of recurve limbs that 3rivers sells for them, however I have no experience with the longbow limbs. I love the bow, but its definitely noisy when compared to my others that I consider "quiet", and especially the foam core limbs have quite a hum or thump when you shoot. I'd say your only option for a truly quiet setup is to look into ILF longbow or recurve limbs by other bowyers, and install DAS bushings to fit your riser.

I don't like the noisy bow, but it shoots so well, and tunes so easily, that I kinda learn to live with it. Also, arrow weight makes a big difference with these bows in particular from my experience, so stay at or above 10 gpp. If you're shooting 3 under, adjust the bow to zero tiller, but that should be in the manual also.

Good luck, Zane

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by Longrifleman:

After my last shooting session, I noticed that the limb screws had loosened due to the vibration. I tightened them and after a dozen or so more shots, they had loosened somewhat again.  I also removed the shelf screw and installed a NAP center rest to see if that might quiet it down, and didn't notice any  
The limb bolts have a locking set screw on both sides of the riser....if your limb bolts are backing out, I suspect they haven't been tightened and that along with loose limbs bolts could be the source of some, if not all the extra noise.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 06:02:00 AM »
Rod,  the limb bolts are locked in with set screws. I'm referring to the limb screws on the belly side of the bow that have plastic knobs for you to tighten by hand. Those are the ones that started to loosen up.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
Dryads epic limbs static tip are very quiet on my das and dalaa.  Find a used pair I think you will like them.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
The quietest limbs I have ever shot on my DAS risers are Win&Win  and Morrison MAX I...the Morrisons are the best. I had Border limbs that gave me the same "Hum"...never got them quiet enough to my satisfaction. Another suggestion....my DAS risers have always shot best with "zero" tiller. Try that and see if it helps.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
Longrifle...sorry I misunderstood. yeah. ive always had to shoot a few shots and retighen the limb fitting screws......and they make lots of noise if loose.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
Long- I've got the same setup except #45. The carbon foam limbs do have a deep thum (thump)to them. I believe it's the limbs as the carbon wood one's don't do it. I've found the best brace for mine with the medium limbs is 8". I haven't tried Bill's advice of zero tiller, I use positive 1/8, shooting split finger. I also use a SBD 8 strand bowstring. The limb screws do need to be checked and lightly tightened every so often.

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
My Dalaa recurve is quiet. I put on the limb savers where they are recommended, brace height 71/4 to 71/2, SBD string with string leeches and fuzzy side velcro under the string on the tips, 635 gr GT 55/75 arrow. It works well for me. The limb thumb screws are just something you need to keep track of, ( don't over tighten them as it will squash out and wear out the rubber washers.)
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
I forgot to add that I use a "Boa" strap on quiver that makes the bow more quiet too. I tried a tightspot and it made a buzz, didn't like it. When everything is right all I hear is a quiet "thup" when I shoot.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©