3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Frustrated with Dad  (Read 493 times)

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
Frustrated with Dad
« on: March 14, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »
My father was fortunate enough to retire at the young age of 56.  The same year, he went and bought himself a 57# Predator recurve in order to get back into archery.  I was excited to say the least, thinking I had found a partner in crime per se.  Fast foward almost seven years later and I bet he's shot that bow less than 50 times.  I know why....its too heavy and has been since day one.  Even after going to league last night (he's gone twice cause he loves the BS sessions but never shoots) and listening to a gentleman his age, who's been shooting his whole life, talk about how he loves his Widow since he had it reduced 8#, he still is stubborn as hell.  He keeps telling me "Next year".  I finally told him he doesn't have a bucket full of "next years" left to do this stuff.  

I just needed to vent.  Anyone else run into this?
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Frustrated with Dad
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
i have a 70# bow I bought long, long ago that I refuse to sell, but never shoot.  You might need to just bite the bullet and buy him something lighter on the classifieds.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
Been thinking about that.  I talked to him earlier today and asked him to "trust me" just like he's told me for the last 37 years.  I'd like to keep his Predator (cause I can shoot it lol) and put up something I have for a partial trade towards a decent bow close to 50#.

I think he's sees that I'm not going to let this rest.  There is a strong desire in him to do this, but his pride is holding him back.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Yea. Get him a 40 lber. Let him shoot it a few times and he will love it. Sounds like the kinda thing my Dad would do!

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »
I'm bout your dad's age and I find a difference between #49 and #44 the 2 LB I own. I highly reccomend a #40-45 bow for him. I can and do shoot both of mine but it is much more pleasant/fun to shoot the lighter weight one! By the way mine are both ILF and one can go up or down later by just switching limbs.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
You know what....I am going to get him that lighter set.  I think about it and really its a small price to pay for all the things he's given me.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
Try the lighter set or bow, but be prepared for the possibility that he really is just not into it.  If he had a burning desire to do it, he would have made a change already and be at it.  

My dad did kind of the same thing, but then went to a compound and that collected dust.  Then a crossbow with reluctance and lack of effort to really get that tuned and shooting correctly.  He missed a few deer and  ran a lot off for a couple years.  Now that is collecting dust, and he is just gun hunting.  I am okay with that. It was frustrating for a couple years.  
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
Kyle,

If you need some lighter bows for him to try, let me know.  I may be able to find one or two bows somewhere.  Most of mine are 45# to 60#.  At least your father likes bows.  My father considered them toys and wouldn't let me hunt with one.

Phil
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline will_hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
I am 56 years old now.  I shot a  63# recurve. for years.  I now shoot a 58# bow. I am having one built in the 53# range in order to shoot A LOT more. The Toby Keith lyric is applicable for hunting "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was". While I can  shoot heavier bows really well--even I realize that the end is in sight for heavy stuff on a daily basis for long periods.

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »
Can't you get him another set of 40# black glass limbs for cheap?
I'm pretty sure the Predator maker offers them.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
Yeah bud, Get him something lighter so he can get out with you and really enjoy it!

I'm thinking of doing the same with my dad....he's got a bow he's had his whole life....but it's time for something lighter so he'll shoot and enjoy it more...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
It is obvious you care a lot about your Dad. You want him to get maximum enjoyment out of archery.

My Dad has been gone (at age 62) for 17 years. I only saw him shoot two arrows his whole life. Both were shot on different days straight up from our front porch in a sub-division...yikes!  He thought the deer I killed with archery tackle must have been tame, but he always called his brothers when I brought another bow kill home.

I wonder if your Dad has admired any certain model bows?  If so, maybe you could "stumble" upon one of those in a lower weight (40-45 pounds)and it was "the only weight available"?

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
50 is too heavy for someone that hasn't been shooting..

Go with 40-45, IMO..

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
Buy him a lighter (42-45#) set of limbs for that bow for Fathers Day and matching arrows.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
I'll be sad when the day comes, my father can no longer come to events and hunts with me.

You have good advice here, but sounds like he just likes to come along for the socializing.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
I agree with everything said here. Get him a 40#er. He'll love it and shooting it will be easy. Even if he will shoot a 50#er today he won't shoot it tomorrow or next year. 40# will kill a deer if that's your game and will kill targets all day.

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
Got to tell ya , I shoot my share of deer but if I had to shoot a 50 lb. bow I would not be having any fun. I'm 62 and hope to be doing this till I'm 80.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
I love this place.

Got off the phone with him a couple hours ago.  New set of limbs it is.  I can hear the "want to" in his voice.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Most important is, get him working out, and I mean working out, I am 63 and have gone up in weight, but I try and work out as much as possible not everyday but often, especially cardio. If you don't use it, you lose it.

Yes, get him  lighter limbs for that bow.

Good luck.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
He's a pretty in shape guy.  He runs and bikes quite a bit.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©