3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: need tuning explanation....  (Read 232 times)

Offline klingville

• Trad Bowhunter
need tuning explanation....
« on: March 14, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
I have a tuning issue that I would like to understand, because I just can't wrap my head around it.

I shoot a 64" Deathwish longbow, 49@28, 7" brace.  The shelf is cut to about 3/16" before center.  I have a 26" draw.  Therefore I figure I'm pulling about 40 lbs. (I have used a fish scale to check my draw weight and it ends up about there - not sure how accurate that thing is though....).  I received two strings when I bought the bow (direct from Deathwish), but I don't know what material they are made from. (I have tried to contact them about this, but have received no reply....)

The arrows that I shoot spine out stiffer than what I would expect. Given my draw weight and shelf cut, I would expect to need a spine in the 35-40 lb range.

However, I am shooting a Trad Only 600 carbon arrow with about 190 grains up front cut to 28.5" BOP.  According to Stu's calculator, the spine is around 46 lbs.

Someone recently gave me a few 3 Rivers cedar arrows 35-40 spine.  I put 125 grains on the tip and they didn't start flying decently until I cut them down to 26" BOP.

I'm satisifed that I can get arrows flying straight, but I would like to understand this....any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: need tuning explanation....
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
You can't compare carbon with wood or aluminum,carbons are just are a different animal.They react and recover quicker from the paradox.The calculator can give you help,but the final testing is done by the shooter.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
here is  how I do mine.  I start with a shaft that I think will work or the Stu calculator suggest will be good and leave it long.  With out feathers I shoot it at 10 yards.  If it is weak I'll cut off 1/4" and shoot it again.  If it is still weak I'll cut off another 1/4".  I keep doing this until it flies perfect or (oops)is too stiff. I tend to keep my life simple, so when I get them to fly I call it good and go shoot...
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Wolfshead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
Not an expert by any means in fact I am just starting out myself
but it sounds like the spine is too weak for your bow and cutting the arrow down helped to stiffen them up making them fly better
can get better answers from the more knowledgable people here I am certain
Bama Expediton Hunter Hybrid Longbow
58", 52# @ 27"
Bama Hunter Longbow
64", 45# @ 27"
"You only need sit still long enough, in some attractive spot in the woods, that all it's inhabitants may exhibit themselves to you by turns"
Henry David Thoreau

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
You're probably drawing closer to 44# if you're drawing 26 inches.  I think Steve generally puts fast flite type strings on his bows.  In wood, you probably need 45-50# spine

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©