3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: -40c Trad Hunting  (Read 561 times)

Offline Mike Davies

• Trad Bowhunter
-40c Trad Hunting
« on: March 14, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
Just wondering who out there hunts in these conditions? and what precautions one might take to ensure bow health. I heard once that a bow might delaminate. Also i was given the suggestion to string the bow while its warm and hunt then bring the bow back and let it warm back up before unstringing it... Anyways what do you all think ?

I should mention that i do live in the arctic so these temps are very normal.
Samick Mind, 58'/55# @28
Samick Sage, 62'/55#,60#@28
RER XR, 60'/50@28

Online Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: -40c Trad Hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
Can't really give you any advice on that. But you are one tough guy to live up there. What animals are you going to hunt? Good Luck.
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
I have never had experience with really cold weather, but when I was a kid the older guy who introduced me to archery explained his warm up routine. I noticed that whenever he was getting ready to shoot (no matter what the temperature), he would pull the bow back a short distance several times. Then he would pull back to full draw several times before actually shooting. When I asked him why, he pointed to the scar on his face.

He said that a laminated wooden bow blew up on a caibou hunt and nearly blinded him. After that he always pulled the bow a number of times to be sure it was going to hold together. He attributed the blow up to the Canadian cold.
Sam

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Id love to hunt muskox in the brutal cold temps of your region as long as I could end my day in a hot tub with a Partagas and a Stella Artois to warm my bones at hunts end. I know that multiple folks have hunted with trad gear in those temps with success. Good luck to you.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
I was out in a lean-to in -40°C (which is also -40° in real Farenheiht) and no, I was not hunting.  Thet becomes survive as best you can and wait out game stupid enough to come near.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
See my thread here, "musk ox down" I strung my bow in my hotel and once I left the room, it was never back in room temp for several days. I left it outside at night since it was possible the camp would be too warm. It was in Nunavut. My Black Widow performed flawless.
bryce olson

Offline Mike Davies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys!
Im after Arctic hare, Ptarmigan, Caribou, and at the flow edge i would have a bow fishing rig setup with a float for shooting seal after they are shot with a rifle. No Muskox in my area  :(

Sadly no booze here at all....Dry fly in community  

If any of ya are interested I happen to be a Professional Photographer up here. So if your curious  www.michaelhdavies.com  have a look
Samick Mind, 58'/55# @28
RER XR, 60'/50@28

Offline Mike Davies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
I guess i should also mention this isnt going to be a  week long hunt or something like that. This has been my home for over 7 years.
The Hamlet of Pangnirtung Nunavut Canada
Samick Mind, 58'/55# @28
RER XR, 60'/50@28

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 12:13:00 AM »
Beautiful photos Mke!
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 12:29:00 AM »
Gorgeous photos! I would love to visit that country. maybe one day.
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 12:54:00 AM »
Have never  take my bow out in the real cold stuff. But guys up here  do.  The Idea of keeping the bow cold makes sense
 when the temp. drops and the house is banging and groaning. it only bangs and groans while cooling,

Have used my bow in the -30 stuff, bow feels like its staking

maybe a bow with more glass and less wood be better in that real cold stuff
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 06:08:00 AM »
I've hunted in the cold but only to about -25 or so, I never gave it a moments thought actually.  I string my. Bow inside and go hunting.  Stuff does break on machinery a lot more in bitter cold so maybe those warm ups are a good idea before drawing all the way.  For me it's more a matter of keeping myself warm than worrying about the equipment.

Offline markliep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »
Have shot down to -25c  & I do string the bow indoors - biggest difference between cold weather & warm looks to be that he cold stiffens arrow spine & apparent draw weight: my winter arrows are a lot softer in th ummer & the bows easier to pull - have fun up there -M

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »
I have hunted and shot at -25 "only". At those temperatures, the wind is the enemy.
You have to make sure that extremities, head neck and face are properly covered, and that you layered well enough for making sure you are not sweating when walking, and you are not cold when you are not.

Carry supplies to make a fire (for me it's vaseline and a lighter) and heat packs.

The bow gets heavier because of the effect of the cold on materials

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
Amazing pictures...

Offline Mike Davies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Frenchymanny:
I have hunted and shot at -25 "only". At those temperatures, the wind is the enemy.

Aint that the truth !

the fire we have to bring here always is naphtha stoves... No trees...

Nothing fights the cold like a good natural fur trimmed parka, and a set of seal skin or wolf mitts
Samick Mind, 58'/55# @28
RER XR, 60'/50@28

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
Come spring thaw I'd start walking south --- and not stop until I hit the Gulf of Mexico !!

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
Hats off to you sir.  I have experienced a Montana plains winter (-30 F), and I was out in it, stuff gets brittle in the cold.  That "short drawing" your bow before shooting sounds like good advice. Go home with a big kill and all yer toes!
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Jeff Cooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
Mike,
     Living in Fairbanks, I encounter similar temperatures to where you are at.

Over the last 15 years, I have shot my Wes Wallace bows several times at -40C/F and as cold as -53F (-47C) last winter.

As previously mentioned, I tend to "warm-up" my bow by a couple half-draws, but I have never had an issue with any of my bows. Wes told me to avoid heat/cold/heat/cold. He said once it is cold soaked, keep it cold until finished.

I have literally shattered rubber blunts on more than one occasion, and have had numerous tips come off while stumpin' in these temperatures.

My biggest concern with hunting in these temps would be getting the animal field dressed. My plan is to build a fire (if able) as close to the downed animal as possible.

Good luck!

Jeff Cooper

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
I have hunted in temps as low as -25F and never had one blow, but I do limber the bow up every 15 minutes or so. Great pics.! Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©