3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever convert a wheelie guy?  (Read 599 times)

Offline Brutus Hedgeapple

• Trad Bowhunter
Ever convert a wheelie guy?
« on: March 15, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
I've been pretty lucky and have converted my buddy Dave here in Ky, my bro and his buddy in Nebraska, and now my newest buddy Thomas here in Ky.
 All of them make me feel good about someone coming from the "dark side" and me being alot of the reason but my newest buddy Thomas is the one who really has me feeling good about it.
 He started at work with me back in september and we immediately hit it off as we both have very simliar likes. But his enthusiasm for trad archery/bowhunting has renewed my love for it. I was needin a booster shot too.
 He's been shootin my Zipper bow, which I told him he couldn't pry from my dead hands  ;)  and now neither of us can wait for the KTBA Tradfest coming next month for him to get his first bow.
 I told him the generosity of trad folks knows no bounds and he could almost walk up to anybody holding a stickbow and they would tell him all they knew and let him shoot their bows.

I just needed to put this out there. I reckon a few of you will relate.
 Everyone have a great day!!

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever convert a wheelie guy?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
I've got 4 guys I hunt with regularly.  Two are wheelie guys and two are x-bow guys.

They all seem intrigued about trad every time we are out hunting.  But, I haven't been fortunate enough to convert any of them yet.

I guess one of the big problems is I'm the only lefty of the bunch.  I've been considering trying to come up with a cheaper 40#-45# RH bow for them to fool with.  That's really the only way I see them getting the bug.

Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
just me....

Well, I did get a buddy to pick up his old recurve again for one season...but now he's a crossbow hunter...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
Yes, I have a friend at work and he use to shoot a lot of trad, then he got into wheelies because of life getting in the way of real fun.  He could not devote enough time to trad to stay on top of his game for hunting so he went to a wheelie. Then so many years passed that he forgot why he went to the compound. I got myself back into trad in 2008 and he soon followed a couple of years later. So though he does shoot his trad bows and attends the 3-D shoots now, he still goes back to his wheelie for hunting. I think it's like when your a kid and you suck on your thumb, it's hard to let go of a more sure thing.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
Ha ha.  I shoot in a Monday night indoor league.  Three years ago, when I started shooting it, it was me and my stick and all wheelie guys.  This year, there are 4 wheelie guys and 8 stick shooters!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
All it took was too loosen a nut here and there and "whalla" a new conversion!   :)
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
I have a buddy I am working hard on.  Got him to buy a used shrew a couple of years ago.  made him carry as my sub-permitee on my moose hunt.  He has picked it up again and is considering trying for a turkey with it this spring.  He  always has a meeting for some board he is on, works a lot and owns horses, so finding time to practice regularly is tough for him.  I will keep working.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
My son.  I gave him one of my recurves.  That seemed to work. We have done two elk hunts, sine then.
  One of my nephews was teasing him about getting a compound and my son replied " what? And get cut out of the will?
I guess whatever works.  
G
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
Yup, 3 in the last year. They love stickbows, and have sold their compounds.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
Back in the late 90's I converted on fella. We hunted together 4 yrs, he missed every deer that came by. I just think he was looking at the whole animal, peeking or maybe buck fever.

Anyway, 5 yrs ago he went back to his compound. Killed 3 deer and sez he'll never go back to traditional. Must be a mental thing, frustration or
comfortable using one pin out to 25 yds. He wasn't a bad shot on targets....just when a live critter walked by.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
Yep.  Lots of guys.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
Yeah I switched my dad he has been compound for yrs then was blessed and killed a 200" buck with a inline muzzleloader and dozens with a wheelie but in a nutshell I told him you killed the biggest buck you will ever kill so come have fun with the stick in string!! He loves it but is way to competitive if I start making him look bad and that bums me out!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
6 of them.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
Yup, my buddy Tony Z on here.  He doesn't post much.  Hes a heck of a hunter.  I've known him a long time, since he was a kid.  He "gets it".  In 2 yrs of giving up the wheely, he's taken 3 nice 8's with my old Widow.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
Yes,he said it looked like I was having alot more fun than he was.He's still shooting trad only and this happened about ten yrs ago.
Leland

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
I am almost ashamed to say this, but here goes...

I am a "reformed" wheelie guy.  First three deer ever killed were from wheelies.  Didn't even own a gun at that point.  Eventually joined a club . .mostly gun hunters, but a few (4 out of 15) had wheelies.

THEN, the crossbow became a legal weapon, even for those without disabilities.  There now, there are 13 crossbow guys, one wheelie guy, and me . . .a newbie trad guy. Took 3 with muzzleloader this year, but never touched the rifle.  But the close calls with the trad bow are STILL the highlights of my season.

THIS season will be magical!  :archer:  

Kingsnake

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
Conversio may not actually apply yet, but I was talking to a guy at the range last Thursday who said he was thinking about trying trad. I immediately stuck my Hill Big Five in his hands, moved to about 10 yards from the target and let him fling a few.He was making arrangements with the archery shop guy to order a longbow when I left. Maybe he will follow through.
Sam

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
My best friend Alex is a compound guy. He shoots a PSE that I swear was made before either of us were born (1986). He always complained he needed a newer bow even though he was a great shot with that old bow.
I gave him a brand new bow. A semi-hill style bamboo backed ipe with bocote accents that I built for him. That was Christmas just past. He swears this is now his go to bow. I'm hopeful he's truly converted.
He's the type of guy who thinks a worn in 30-30 Winchester is a real deer gun not a shiny 7mm magnum with a big ol' scope. I think he'll stick with trad.
I might end up having to keep a steady flow of bows heading his way though.

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
I am working on some.  Just subtle though.  These are the pull the compound out Friday afternoon before opening morning for a few practice shot types (it's unfortunate compounds tend to make you that way).  They have all noticed my pretty longbows and how I can basically shoot as well as they can.  They are all curious as to how I do it.  I just sent them all an email from Dave Johnson I got this week showing my new longbow in the construction stages.  I am hoping that will push them a little closer to the edge.  It would be fun to have another trad hunter to hunt with.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©