3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ghillie 2 piece or long poncho?  (Read 263 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Ghillie 2 piece or long poncho?
« on: March 15, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
Been considering the ghillie gig for turkey season this yr., and am seriously considering the long poncho over the 2 piece suit. Just looking for thoughts on which one is more comfortable and more hunter friendly.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ghillie 2 piece or long poncho?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
I have a commercially made green pattern 2 piece ghillie that is nice, because, the pants can be removed when in a blind that completely hides my lower body. This makes it a bit easier to move around quietly on stand. Walking around in it is tough as it snags on every limb it touches - its definitely a sit tight item.

I have a home made suit that used a bath robe as a pattern. My mom made it and added a hood. It is made of camo burlap and is more of a brown type pattern. It is more difficult to move in. It was better suited to the old days when I hunted with a shotgun.

You may need to trim the area around the bow arm and chest so the bow string does not snag on the fabric. In all honesty, though, I do feel a bit encumbered by each of them. I don't use them as much as I had originally thought I would.
Sam

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
I use the one piece Rancho Safari longcoat.  Reaches to about my knees and zips up the front.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
I also use the Rancho Safari long coat with no regrets.  Just put it on whatever you are wearing right before walking out to the blind.  As simple as putting on a jacket.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
Hey Moleman!  I made a suit out of ACU shirt, pants and boonie hat, volleyball net and burlap strips.  I like it a lot, but have never worn another type of suit.  

I finally built up to my 58# recurve, love the power!  Next bow is gonna be a 64" 62# Maddog Longbow this fall.  Good luck with them turkeys!!
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
I've used both kinds stalking muleys and have come to the conclusion that the lower leg exposure is meaningless.  They simple don't notice it.  I've walked in sight of bedded muleys to 15 yards by using my longbow like third leg in a long coat.

I dislike the pants since all they seem to do is snag on everything and collect trash.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
Agree with LKH.  I use the Marc Anthony jacket & ghillie boonie hat along with regular camo (Predator)pants.  I don't think the bottoms make much difference at all.  The key is the torso and transition to your head.  Break that up and you are good to go for both deer and turkey.  Good hunting!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
I have the string 2 piece ghillie and have considered doing without the pants. Also thought about cutting the pants off and attaching part of them to jacket to extend it down further. I haven't seriously used the ghillie much yet but am really starting to consider it more.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »
Well, I have a buddy who has gone to using only the ghillie hat!  He says he has noticed no difference.  He has success to prove it so I'm not going to argue the point.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
I bought the 2 piece Ghillie-Suit.com version.  I pack the pants in and put them on when I get to my hunt location. I tried wearing them once, not only do they "snag" a lot, but I heard of becoming one with the woods, but by the time I got out, even hiked up high, the woods had become one with ME!

I'm still trying to comb out needles, twigs, leaves and other debris!

But sitting flat on the ground, up against a tree, with hat, gloves and top/bottom on, turkeys walked right by me in the fall (3 days before opener) and have had several come in for spring.

Small birds are a slight problem though wishing to nestle in my gear!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©