3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dryad Bow Questions  (Read 683 times)

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Dryad Bow Questions
« on: March 16, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
Hello, all.
I'm in the process of choosing a new take down bow. Right now I'm zeroed in on the Dryad bows and am looking at all their different options. I've talked to both Mike and John, and they've given me excellent information on their offerings, but I'd like to hear from those of you who shoot Dryad bows. Specifically what length riser did you go with and why? Also, I'd be interested in knowing the overall length of your Dryad bows as well as the limb and riser combo that make up that bow.
Thanks.
Kevin
PS
Pictures would make your replies even better!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dryad Bow Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
I just picked up a set of their ilf ACS recurve limbs, put them on an off brand riser. Dropped five pounds in draw weight and picked up five feet per second in speed over my other custom wapiti and about ten feet per second over my old carbon ilf limbs. If I had the money for it all, I'd probably go for one of their bolt down limb models, but since I already had the ilf riser and found a good deal on the limbs used I went that way. Have had a number of very experienced archers try my bow out and they all wish they hadn't because it's so smooth and the performance is so high!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
It's stories like yours that led me to look at the Dryad bows in the first place...

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
Yeah, I'm thinking seriously about picking up a set in my wife's draw weight for her to use elk hunting, but she loves her custom bow that I had made for her so much,I don't know if she would use them .
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
If you're determined to buy a set of new Dryad limbs and she doesn't want them go ahead and send them my way!!!   :biglaugh:

Offline fling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
A great choice. Love my one piece Dryad longbow she has the best looking bamboo limbs I've seen on a bow. Just had to give a thumbs up for Dryad   :thumbsup:   Jon

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
I really like their static recurve limb and ACS LB limbs.  I am not sold on the grip on the risers, but plan to put a set of their limbs on some riser once I settle on one.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
I would go with one of their ILF risers, say 15"s and a set of there static recurve limbs. That way you can buy an unlimited array of limbs from longbow to recurve. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
I would go with one of their ILF risers, say 15"s and a set of there static recurve limbs. That way you can buy an unlimited array of limbs from longbow to recurve. Shawn
Hello, Shawn. Why the 15" over the 17"?
Thanks.
Kevin

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
I've been shooting a 17" Epic riser with a low grip since January.  I have two pair of ACS 4G longbow limbs (45 & 50#), and one pair of Epic recurve limbs.  To say I have been more than impressed with this bow would be an understatement.  

This is the first bow that I've ever owned that has a cut past center riser, but even after building the strike plate out quite a ways, I still need 70-75# spine in my woods.  The performance of all of these limbs far exceeds my expectations.  The quality of workmanship in both the riser (bought new from Mike), and the limbs (all bought used) is top drawer.

I did try two pairs of TT limbs and had fitment issues as the bolt groove is a tad deeper than other limbs.  I've installed a pair of SF limbs and one other I can't recall at the moment just to see if it was the TT limbs or not.  It was.

Good luck with your decision, and trust Mike's advice...nobody knows their equipment like the bowyer and what he recommends is always right on the money.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Green,
Thanks for the detailed response. Why did you go with the 17" riser rather than the 15"? What is the total length of your bow?
Thanks.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »
You know, there was a thread on here about bow effiecincy and some bowyer said that they did a lot of testing and the longer limbs were more efficient, I believe he was talking about dryad bows, but I can't remember now, my limbs are the extra long, so 64" bow on 17" riser. I pull 31" so a longer bow is better for me. I can use a 62", but have settled on 64" as the best length for me.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 11:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by old_goat2:
You know, there was a thread on here about bow effiecincy and some bowyer said that they did a lot of testing and the longer limbs were more efficient, I believe he was talking about dryad bows, but I can't remember now, my limbs are the extra long, so 64" bow on 17" riser. I pull 31" so a longer bow is better for me. I can use a 62", but have settled on 64" as the best length for me.
Thanks, David.
That's the kind of info I'm looking for. I'm going to do a search in Pow Wow and see if I can find the thread you refer to.
Kevin

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 12:06:00 AM »
I looked for it already, couldn't find it, it's possible I read it on another forum and if it was on another forum, it probably wasn't Dryad, but I am sure that I read that longer limbs are more efficient, but I also know I've read that shorter limbs are more efficent, but that was from a shooter not a builder. I think that would be a good question to ask Dryad, I know they have done a crapload of testing on effiecency etc...
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 01:08:00 AM »
I shoot an Epic 15 riser with Medium limbs for another manufacturer at 54#@29",no problem with stacking,I would think their limbs would be smoother and better than my budget limbs.
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 06:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kevin Hansen:
Green,
Thanks for the detailed response. Why did you go with the 17" riser rather than the 15"? What is the total length of your bow?
Thanks.
Kevin - I shoot my bows vertically with no cant, and shoot split finger.  The extra site window length gives me a clear line of sight on short shots.  I'm also a fan of having a little extra mass in my riser.  I like the stability as I shoot a lot of 3D.  My overall bow length is 62" with the 17" riser and long limbs.
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline markliep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »
There's a comparison of higher end target limbs at TT that found there limbs to be fast & stable but a bit noisy on a 25" riser  http://tradtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38767  so that might be worth checking with Mike when you're looking at choices for use - M

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Green:

Originally posted by Kevin Hansen:
Green,
Thanks.
Kevin - I shoot my bows vertically with no cant, and shoot split finger.  The extra site window length gives me a clear line of sight on short shots.  I'm also a fan of having a little extra mass in my riser.  I like the stability as I shoot a lot of 3D.  My overall bow length is 62" with the 17" riser and long limbs. [/b]
x2 on the site window with the 17.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 08:04:00 AM »
Marklie - I've had no issues getting my limbs quiet on a 17" wood riser.  I do shoot split and only wood arrows though, and the limbs I bought all had limbsavers mounted at the fade out by the original owners.  The Epic recurve limbs are actually as quiet as my longbow limbs.  I only put two small wool puffs on them.  I also twisted up a flemish the other day and shot it in with no silencers on the string on my 50# limbs....extremely quiet with just the limbsavers.  

On another note, I shot my Epic recurve limbs at the Texas Traditional Championship yesterday.  On the third target two of the guys were watching my limb tips and both asked me if I felt any let off when nearing full draw due to the profile of the tips.  I do feel a slight let off, but what I really feel is the smoothest draw one could ask for (and I'm not a recurve guy).  I bought them so I can shoot both longbow and recurve classes in tournaments using the same riser.  Wise decision on my part (for once).     :D

Offline Retnuh Wob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
I have 15" Orion riser with long ACS RC limbs rated at 40#. I checked the draw weight and did a force draw curve with 7-7/8" brace height. The actual weight was 39#(40.6# at my draw lwngth of just under 29"). The string is an 8 strand continuous lood made with Brownells Fast Flight + with paded loops. AMO with this setup is 60"

I have pulled this bow out about 2" past my draw length and still no stacking. The force draw curve gave 1.6# increase between 29" and 30".

I just chronographed it today. With a 440 gr. arrow it gave 177 fps(5 shot ave.), and a 645gr.
arrow gave 152 fps(6 shot ave.)

The force draw curve showed a stored energy per pound of draw a little under what Dryad claims at .91, but the dynamic efficiency is way up there. My setup is all home made so the results are probably not as accurate as what you would get from Blacky Schwartz or Norb.

This bow seems to really like heavy arrows. A 645gr.(around Dr. Ashby's heavy bone threshold) at 152 fps out of  40# bow! I'm impressed.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©