3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thick tabs  (Read 704 times)

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Thick tabs
« on: March 16, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
I have an american leathers big shot great glove. I have a Fred Eichler tab and it has been nice. My thing is, I enjoy using a tab. I get a little better feel for the string while drawing the bow. The problem now is I was pulling 55#-57# at my old draw length on most of my bows. I am now pulling 29.5" vs 28" before a overhaul to my form. The bow I am shooting currently is 56#@28" so I am right around 60#+ in draw weight. My question is where can I get a slightly thicker tab? I am not having a problem with pain while shooting. I am just looking to get a slightly thicker tab so the contact area is able to absorb more of the pressure from the string so the blood is not pushed from my finger tips as much. I tried a tab that another shooter had that was thicker and it worked great. He said the guy that made them is no longer around. It was fairly thick no memory groove in it but I could still feel the string very easily. My current tab and glove have a groove almost V shaped versus a rounded curl like his tab had. I saw a video of Ron La Clair shooting in the masters of the longbow I believe and I think I saw a similar tab. If anyone knows where a thicker tab can be had I am all ears.
USMC 82-86

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thick tabs
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
Look at Black Widow tabs.  They're excellent.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
Super Archery Mitt or S.A.M. Tab. I shoot up to 90# and its the only tab I really like. The Skookum cordovan tab is also very thick but I can't seem to find them any longer. I used to get them from Alaskan bowhunting supply.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
I'm not sure where to find a thick tab? But if you like your big shot glove. I can tell you that American leathers makes a great thick glove called the Tuff shot. I have one & after some mink oil paste & break in, I like it a lot. It should last a long time.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
The Bateman tab has a double layer on it and it's made from the original cordovan from Japan, I have been using mine for 2 years of constant shooting and still no crease and still slippery smooth.

Good luck brother.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
Call the good folks at Bateman direct, and tell them what you need.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
X3 on the Bateman Cordovan or Cordoban however it's spelled, my wife likes the black widow tab, I've tried it and it's no comparison to the Bateman at higher draw weights in my opinion.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
Angel cordovan tab, you can even get them with a composite or aluminum insert which adds a thin layer of protection. Best I have ever used! Shawn
Shawn

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
I have the Eichler and the Bateman, like them both but the Bateman is thicker.

Offline GameMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
I to shoot around 58 lbs. and do like a thicker tab. I make my own, it is 2 layers of real leather and if you want to try one I'll send it for free. I have tried numerous tabs over 40 years of shooting and like my own. Being retired I have tried every material and thickness you can imagine. [email protected] Good luck!

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
The Saunders Pak-Tab comes with multiple layers so you can make it as thick as you need it. It is also broke in out of the box, super slick, and impervious to water.

Bisch

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
Another vote for the Pak-Tab...
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
You might try Rod Jenkins at Safari Tuff...

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B.:
You might try Rod Jenkins at Safari Tuff...
Looks like a sweet tab, but I shoot split finger.
USMC 82-86

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
Get hold of Scott Teaschner. He makes the tabs for Rod Jenkins and also has his own line of tabs for split finger shooters. He can (if he has time) sew a second layer of leather on the back of the shell cordovan leather. Depending on what leather you choose, he can make the tab as thick as you want and still maintain the wonderful characteristics of the cordovan facing.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by amar911:
Get hold of Scott Teaschner. He makes the tabs for Rod Jenkins and also has his own line of tabs for split finger shooters. He can (if he has time) sew a second layer of leather on the back of the shell cordovan leather. Depending on what leather you choose, he can make the tab as thick as you want and still maintain the wonderful characteristics of the cordovan facing.

Allan
Thanks
USMC 82-86

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
The bateman I had was not as thick as my eichler tabs and didn't stay on my finger with the stretch strap. The pak-tab is okay and has a lot of layer options, but didn't hold up as long as others and I never got used to the plastic. So far the black widow super leather was the best for the thicker tabs. It has three layers.

My first eichler was quite thick and I loved it. The next one not so thick and the third the thinnest. I got used to the middle one and then the thinnest one after a while. Now the thin one is my go to with the slightly thicker one my backup. I guess the point is maybe just stick with what you have and before long you will be used to it.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by xtrema312:
The bateman I had was not as thick as my eichler tabs and didn't stay on my finger with the stretch strap. The pak-tab is okay and has a lot of layer options, but didn't hold up as long as others and I never got used to the plastic. So far the black widow super leather was the best for the thicker tabs. It has three layers.

My first eichler was quite thick and I loved it. The next one not so thick and the third the thinnest. I got used to the middle one and then the thinnest one after a while. Now the thin one is my go to with the slightly thicker one my backup. I guess the point is maybe just stick with what you have and before long you will be used to it.
I guess I got one of the thin ones.It was fine until I increased my bow weight.
USMC 82-86

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 06:59:00 AM »
Get a AAE tab, remove the screws and try different stiffness of leather to fit your needs. I also made several tabs-layers of thick leather for the back and tried several types of leather for the front. Punched and sewed them myself and it worked fine. Used the shape of the AAE tab for a starting pattern.You can vary the shape of the thick palm section with this also. Worker thru about 4 before coming up with what I was looking for. Was cheaper than buying all the different ones and everyone has their own needs in a tab. Thanks, Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 07:04:00 AM »
I can tell you with 100 per cent certainty that a black widow tab is the answer to your problem. I shoot about 62 at my draw and I can do it for hours without feeling anything except the string.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©