3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heavy hitting cane hog arrows(update)  (Read 753 times)

Re: Heavy hitting cane hog arrows(update)
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
Those are some beautiful sticks right there!

Good luck on the hogs.

Bisch

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
Thanks every one.  I think they are going to be the ticket this year on all my hunting journey's.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
I went down and gathered up a few things to try this morning as I felt something was just not quite the way it should be, so I started experimenting and in fact found a couple of flaws.  The shoulder inside the cane was all one size while the collar on the insert was bigger.  Even after tapering the whole to make it work, I did not like it.  So I got out my calipers and measured everything, TWICE, and then went and found a drill that was just a few thousandths bigger to give me a little glue wiggle room.  Take not, you do not want a dull drill bit, it will crack the cane.  You do not want a sharp drill bit, it will grab and walk up inside the cane.  Lesson learned the hard way.  After getting the bit just right, I had four pieces of cane left that I could use, and went to work.  I drilled very slowly about a 1/4 down in the cane for the collar to ride down and on.  After test fitting each piece to an insert, I put my hot melt on and got the all glued in and spun up.  Looking really good.  I had also planned to put sinew wrap at the point which I did next and most of them are drying now.  I did the one that I had finished yesterday up and did the completion of it with a short cut piece of shrink tubing that I had cut to about 1/2 wide and slide up on the cane before putting the point in, only to find that I could in fact unscrew the point and take it off.  So I put the shrink tubing on, screwed the point back on, pushed the shrink tubing down against the broad head, heated it up and took my fingers and mashed the edges down, and have a rock hard, almost footed cane arrow sporting all this weight up front with no where for it to give and break.  Simply awesome. I will get a picture or two of the four finished arrows when every thing dries.  Man I really like these heavy cane arrows.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
Got the all finished up.  One of these arrows was just used for test fitting everything and is light, but the other three are with in 40 grains of one another..

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »
That should work.  :thumbsup:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »
With today's prices on broad heads and arrow materials, it just makes sense to use some of the old stuff you have laying around to accomplish the same goals.  Don't it?

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
Charlie, Charlie, Charlie...

EFOC in a primitive arrow with screw in components?

Now that is intriguing to say the least!

Hope you get to use it on a feral piggie!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
Those look awesome!
James Kerr

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
Yep Doc, I was thinking of you and the Dr. with every process of these.  They should do some thumping for sure.  See, even us old primitive guys can go high tech and become a technie.    :notworthy:

I really did not mean for these to become interchangable, but it was what I had to work with, without going broke trying things...lol.

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
Hey Doc, wait until you see the next ones.  Going to have unibushing in the nock end.  Got any extra lighted nocks laying around??????

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
:knothead:  

Those lighted knocks came to mind soon as I saw your set up! I almost typed, What next? LIghted nocks? That was a cool thing he did!

BTW, I think that is a "blessed marriage" of past and present right there... can't wait to see the "chilluns" they produce!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
I'm truly impressed with your creativity and craftsmanship!

Gotta ask.... How do they fly?
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blaino:
I'm truly impressed with your creativity and craftsmanship!

Gotta ask.... How do they fly?
I can say if Charlie built them, they fly... he's kinda picky about that stuff!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
i think the 40gr difference is unacceptable...please send those to me and will mount some old heads on them while you make some better ones more suitable for your great skill and reputation.

:)   :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2013, 06:19:00 AM »
Thanks every one.  Blaino, they fly just great.  Going to take a little to get used to the weights, but man do they hit hard.

Brock, yeah that is a rather big spread in weight.  I can fix that, but did not want to take them apart again since the spin so nice like they are...lol

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©