3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I must be living in the past  (Read 581 times)

Online bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
I must be living in the past
« on: March 17, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
It seems like thirty years ago when I started elk hunting all of my hunting partners shot compounds but everyone bragged about how close they got to the animals whether they got a shot or not.  Now many of the guys that shoot modern carbon tube casting devices consider fifty or sixty yards a good shot!
I had an elk hunt booked for the last five months and when I booked it I told the outfitter I shoot trad bows and we discussed the hunting area etc.  I hadn't spoken to him for five months and yesterday he calls and asks me if I shoot a recurve.  Obviously he knew this.  He says he will refund my deposit or refer me to another outfitter because the country where he hunts is pine forest and they rarely get shots less than 50 yards!  I called his referral and he told me there was more cover in his area but he asked me why I don't "upgrade" to a compound! thanks for listernig

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I must be living in the past
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
That stinks!  The outfitter is probably worried you'll throw off his kill percentages.

I have never hunted elk, though it is one of my dreams to do so.  Since I'm still a trad newbie, I have not yet taken ANYTHING with my recurve.  If I somehow manage to scrounge the $ for an elk hunt, I may take the compound (or, god forbid, something that goes 'bang' instead of 'twang'), because it will probably be te only time I can ever do it.

I'm probably not the most qualified to make recommendations, but if the outfitter doesn't appreciate the way YOU want to hunt, he's probably not the outfitter for you anyhow.

Good luck with the rescheduling.

Kingsnake

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
Think I'd take him up on the refund offer and find an outfitter that is willing and capable to work with you.

I once had someone say the same thing to me about a compound and I asked them why they don't just use a rifle. That pretty much will end the conversation.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
It sucks, but it was kind of a blessing. Lots of outfitters would have just took your money and not worried if you had a real chance or not. Glad your getting out of it.
is it September yet??

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
My first comment would of been, "Yes I will take my money back, I thought I was gonna be hunting with a quality guide and good hunter! Obviously you are neither!!" "A good outfitter should be able to get me a lot closer than that!!" Shawn
Shawn

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
I would get my money and run.  Has to be more than a few on here who could connect you with someone that would be a better fit for you as a guide.  

I have never hunted them and never will be able to.  I only know one guy personally that is a serious elk bow hunter.  He shoots a compound with fingers.  He has killed more than a couple in multiple states.  I think his longest shot was 25 yd.  He shoots them close and loves the thrill of getting right on them.  He has not had a problem getting guides to get him close.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
That's unreal...!!!! Well that's this society and world we live in everything has to be easy or we can't do it....well ya got me started example "crossbow"! You might as well take a gun! IMO he should do his footwork and put you inclose with the elk
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline parshal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
The place I looked at hunting in Wyoming is wide open with very few trees but with hills, draws and large rocks.  They take elk all the time at less than 20 yards.  Find a real bow hunting guide.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Book a hunt with Fred Eichler. He's a trad hunter himself.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
Yep, I'd take that refund.  This outfitter is already making excuses that have nothing to do with his abilities. I wouldn't want to spend so much on someone who is starting out defeated.

People have been killing plenty of elk for decades with arrows inside 25 yards. Sure, the terrain will make it more or less difficult/likely that you can get close enough, often enough for success.

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
Take the money and run. Also, count your blessings. Sorry to hear about your trouble. (nut)   :o
Rich Potter

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
I'd say you were blessed: To find out BEFORE you blow thousands of $$ only to be sorely frustrated!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
Take the offer and be happy! Choice of weapon is nothing personal obviously the outfitter knows his limitations. Plenty of fish in that sea!

Offline Hood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
Thankfully, you have time to make other plans instead of ending up with a disappointing hunt.
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

Online bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
I did a little research and I think this had nothing to do with trad bows.  When I signed with this guy he said there was plenty of cover in the unit.  This was to be a semi guided hunt and he told me I could hunt the whole three weeks if I wanted and I provided my own food.  I just looked on his website and he has raised the price 25% from what I was paying and that is only for one week and he has three separate hunts.  He must have had lots of interest and it boils down to greed. Anyway I'm going to take the money back and run!

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
:biglaugh:      :laughing:

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
Well I've hunted elk for 50 years now and in some ways the outfitter was telling you the truth.  There are a lot more oppurtunities at 50 yds then at 20 yds.  BUT that's what we sign up for with traditional equipment.
It's not always about killing the animal but more about how we go about it.

What he doesn't realize is that trad hunters are often happy going home empty handed with memories of close encounters that didn't pan out.
His compound hunters not so much.

Unless you hunt with a trad hunter that is a guide you will run into this issue.

Find yourself another outfitter that caters to trad bowhunters.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
Take your money and go elsewhere. Regardless of his reasons that is a good sign to go elsewhere.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
At least you got your money back.  There has to be a real guide out there somewhere.  Good luck.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
Yes, take the money back. If 50 yards is the usual range his clients shoot from, one of two conditions is likely. One is that his hunting terrain is consistently wide open, or he guides a lot of archers as opposed to bowhunters. No, they are not necessarily the same.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©