3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuff Heads on order...  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Tuff Heads on order...
« on: March 17, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
G'day guys,

Well I have been eyeing off the single bevel BHs that are on the market over the last few months after shooting solid 3 blade heads for years. I already have some 160 g Grizzly Kodiaks that look to be a fine head.

In saying that I wanted to see the quality of the Tuff Head as from all accounts is a top quality well made BH. I am in prep from my first trip to Africa this August and this is just part of the fun.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions and see your results of the Tuff Heads on game.

Cheers from Aussie,

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuff Heads on order...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
Good luck in Africa!  That should be a great trip.

Offline bucksakemmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
I also am traveling to Africa, I will be going June and July. This is my setup.
225 Grain Tuff Head
50 Grain Titanium insert
50 grain arrow insert
340 Axis Shaft cut to 31"
2 inch footing
total weigh 650 grains
Shooting and ACS pulling 51# at 30"

The Tuff Heads are very inpressive, very big and they come sharp, Joe includes a pack of bandaids with the order.
You will be pleased.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 12:04:00 AM »
I have ordered the 'Meat Head' broad heads that are 190gs.

My set up is; Arrow Dynamics Traditional shafts, brass inserts,
                     Meat Head broadheads,
                     My Huntsmen recurve set at 62# @ my 29" draw.
And a hell of a lot of practice!

I think these are going to weigh in around the 700g mark.

I had planned to hunt with a bunch of GrizzlyStik shafts but for the life of me I could not get these to shoot well at all. Very very disappointed in the spine range, bare shaft turning efforts and not to mention  the $$ outlay.

It'll be AD Traditional for carbon shafting from now on as afar as I am concerned.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
I bought some at Kalamazoo and can't waite to try them. I think with 100 grn. brass you will be over 700 grn. depending on your BH adapter weight.
Another option is the brass insert adapter combo.
I got the 225 grn. stainless and they may be the sharpest edge I have ever seen on anything, period.
Abe Penner of Caribow was a field tester for these and shot a bull moose and a bull elk with them.  Abe was very impressed with the results.
Any questions you may have, call Joe at Tuffhead, great guy.

Good luck.
Tom

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:33:00 AM »
I don't think they kill anything deader then your three blades or any other quality broadhead. And penetration won't be magical. Just another good broadhead like the dozens out there already. But they do come very sharp and are very easy to resharpen to that same edge with a couple of pulls through my wheel sharpener.

One thing if you use a bow quiver make sure the hood is long enough to cover them. I cut the heck out of a finger reaching for my bow in the dark in the back of the truck a few months back. The GN quiver hood left an inch of broadhead showing and I found it. Ouch.
lll

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
I have also heard that to Tom in regards to the customer support, and its always good to see someone stand behind their products.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
Al,

The Tuffheads are wonderful broadheads, and Joe Furlong, the developer, is a gem of a man. Being the same basic design, I am sure the lighter Meatheads will perform similarly. I used the 300 grain Tuffheads with a 100 grain adapter in Australia. I also had a 100 grain brass insert and an aluminum footing at the pointy end and unibushings with G-nocks at the other end of my AD Hammerhead Trad shafts. I used 4x4" fletching on the 1000 grain arrows that were shot from my 60" 70#@29.5" Shrew Safari takedown longbow. It was a great combination except for one thing. The steel broadhead adapters were made from relatively soft steel and had a tendency to bend on impact, even when using them with the 300 grain brass glue-on field points that I got from Tuffhead to match the weight of my broadheads. I'm not sure where to get high quality broadhead adapters, but that was the only weak link in the equipment I took. I used an EFA Mesa quiver with the Totem and the Wing accessories. The Mesa held 4 arrows with broadheads and a fifth arrow with a hex head blunt. The Mesa was long enough to cover all but a little of the Tuffheads. The penetration with the Tuffheads on Asiatic Buffalo and Scrub Bulls was as good as or better than anything I have used. I also like the 2 blade VPA broadheads, both the double and single bevel versions, at 300 and 325 grains, respectively.

I have been to Africa to hunt 6 times now, and it is the greatest hunting destination in the world. You are undoubtedly aware that Cape Buffalo are in a different league from the Asiatic Buffalo there in your native Australia as far as aggressiveness and danger, although both are similar in their physical structure. Africa has a very rich diversity of wild game, so there is always something else exciting to hunt! And the weather in their winter months (summer in North America) is very pleasant for hunting. I have always wished I could spend a month there hunting every year during the May through August period.

I had the same experience with Grizzly Stik shafts as you did. I really like the guys at ABS who have done great things for bowhunting, but I greatly prefer the AD shafts in all the Trad models. I shoot almost exclusively AD shafts and have nothing but great things to say about them! I do have my preferences about how they are set up as completed arrows, depending on how I plan to use them and how tough they need to be for the intended purposes.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
G'day Allan ( really cool name BTW) ,

I will be only hunting plains game on this, my first trip to Africa/Nimimba and even then don't have a long list of critters I wish to bag...more so just going to be happy with one good animal on the ground - spot and stalk if I can - and be happy with that. Anything further will be cream on top of the cake and will simply enjoy the place for what it is...Africa.

Thanks for the run down on your arrow set ups. I have a few plans for hunting buff here in Aussie that ill see through soon enough and naturally hunting a cape buff would be one of the best hunts a fella could do with a trad bow. Grizzly bear another.

I am hoping I can use all the Grizzly stik shafts I have over the next few years otherwise I might put them up for sale.

Cheers,

ak.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
Sounds like a great set up bud...good luck!!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
Maybe one of these broadhead adapters would work well. I will probably try various makes of them. The adapters from Vantage Archery are the ones I used (and others used too) that regularly bent! Joe buys them, he doesn't produce them, so their lack of strength is definitely not his fault. The ones below have mostly come to market very recently, probably as a result of the poor quality adapters that were available for awhile.

http://www.abowyer.com/abowyer_adapters.html  
  http://www.tradout.com/stainless-steel-broadhead-adapters-screw-in  
  http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/Steel-Broadhead-Adapters-Screw-In/productinfo/4406  
  http://www.bowproshop.com/broadheads--adapters-premium-steel-broadhead-adapters-75gr-100gr-125gr-sold-separately.html  

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 02:16:00 AM »
Cheers for the links mate. I will look into it.

ak.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
Joe Furlong is a heckuva guy, and his broadheads are top notch. I will be taking them to Wyoming this fall, and chasing whitetails around home with Tuff Heads this year.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
TUFFHEADS rock!!and joe furlong is top notch!!
deer fell here for seconds and didn't go 35 yrds from this spot!

Mike

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
:eek:     :scared:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
Wow....that is a hell of a blood trail! Kinda easy to follow the spoor on that tracking job...

ak.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
tuffheads are the sharpest heads i've ever bought --out of the pack-i stropped them and hunted--and because of the stainless steel they really stay sharp!!
Mike

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
Here's my TuffHead after breaking a shoulder and passing through my wildebeest last April.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
Great results! John, would you mind sharing details of your bow and arrow set up.
Tom

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
As Allan said, great broadbead and maybe the single bevel out there. The problem is the inserts. I would use titanium if you can get enough weight for tuning.  As of a few months ago there were no good steel inserts on the market and I had multiple episodes of insert failure on hard impact.  Weakest link, and all that.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©