3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Aluminum arrows???  (Read 747 times)

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
Aluminum arrows???
« on: March 17, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
Hey all, I've shot carbons for a long time and like them but I made up some Easton legacys awhile back and was shooting them out of my widow and my longbow and they just shoot wonderful!!!! So I guess i'm sticking to shooting aluminums, they are more affordable and they are heavier gpi, and if I happen to loose or break one its not really a big deal.  Is there anyone else that shoots aluminum, that feels the same way as me?  Thanks!
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aluminum arrows???
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
Yep, I shoot them and love them. Easton XX75's 2016's. I do shoot cedar shafts when stump shooting.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
Just made up some flu-flu's out of old xx75's I bought way back when. They shot great. Nice and orange!!
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
I switched to alum legacy's after carbon and now am planing on trying wood next.
Levi Bedortha

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
Nope, aluminum are way more expensive to shoot. I stump shoot and hunt a lot of small game and carbons outlast aluminum 5 or 6 to one at least. Actually wood last me longer than aluminum as well. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
I went full circle back to aluminum over the summer.  I think they are the best shaft for what I do.  XX75's are cheap to.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
I shoot aluminum, wood and carbon. I have 2 dz 2117's made up for hunting, 2 dz woodies that I shoot from my "lefty" and the AD Trad Lites I planned on using for bear hunting.

My small game and stumping arrows are a mixed bag of aluminum and wood. I like the consistency of aluminum and easy to work with when dipping. I also like them swagged for hunting. I know carbon is tougher but it's hard to beat a good looking aluminum arrow.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
Nope, aluminum are way more expensive to shoot. I stump shoot and hunt a lot of small game and carbons outlast aluminum 5 or 6 to one at least. Actually wood last me longer than aluminum as well. Shawn
I've had the opposite experience with aluminum. I stump shot with one arrow all last summer. I must have shot it a thousand times or more, and it's still good. I've bent a few aluminums in my life, but only after direct hits on rocks. I don't think I'd want to use a carbon arrow after such a hit for fear of failure.

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
I shoot 2018 Legacys and love them. I also shoot woodies. No carbons. I don't like them. (nut)
Rich Potter

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
My experience has been great with aluminums as well, Jake.  Love 'em.  Easier to work with than carbons in my book--simple little rotary tube cutter is all you need, some hot melt, and you're good to go.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
I shot nothing but wood for over 20 years, and even poked fun at my beer can shooting buddies.

I used to always tell them "Shooting aluminum was like petting a dog backwards, it gets the job done but it just ain't right".

Six years ago after receiving yet another nasty dozen cedar shafts I finally had enough and secretly ordered six Legacy's from 3rivers. I fletched them up and tried them from my recurve. Holy Cow! Perfect flight from ALL of them! Never had that with wood.

Since then I am an aluminum convert and am enjoying accuracy like I never thought possible. Sure is nice to not ever get fliers.

I still like to make and shoot wood, mostly for stumping and some home range target shooting. But for serious 3-D and hunting I am all aluminum.

I've never tried carbon. I don't care how long they last I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money. When I can't find an arrow after a reasonable search I want to be able to walk away and not fret over it.

If you are careful and don't shoot at hard stumps an alum arrow will last a very long time. I still have 3 of that original half dozen Legacy's.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
Another life time user of aluminum arrows here.

Since I shoot aluminum arrows, I don't abuse them by going stump shooting. I go roving instead where I shoot at pine cones and large leaves laying on the ground on the forest floor. I'll also shoot at anomalies on dirt banks. With these targets, the chances are rare if I bend an aluminum arrow.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
I shoot 2117 aluminums and they are pretty cheap for me. The only place I really ruin them is at the local indoor 3D range, where a miss usually ends up hitting something hard enough to bend the arrow.

Where I stump shoot, it's all dirt, mud and grass, hardly any rocks to worry about.  I've been using the same stump-shooting arrows for several seasons.  I lose them a lot more often than I bend them... and I don't lose many.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
Thru the years, I've shot 2016, 2018, 2117 and 2219's. Liked them all. Always seem plenty tough to me. Never shot the large diameter, thin wall aluminums. Maybe those are what get screwed up so easily?

I shoot mostly wood these days, though I still have a mess of 2016's that I still shoot from some of my bows.
Chuck

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 01:26:00 AM »
I got to say the aluminum shafts are easier to tune for me also been using 1918 and 2016 shafts for years.

Got to love those autumn orange shafts!   :thumbsup:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 04:27:00 AM »
Aluminum be my last choice, carbon arrows are amazing, wood arrows are traditional, Always nice to have a few sets of woodies around  Aluminums best function is footing my carbons
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 05:53:00 AM »
I played with carbons for a few years and went to aluminum's a few years back and that's where I'm staying. If you get a thick-walled aluminum, they're pretty durable.
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Offline subsonic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »
For those that like Aluminum check out the new Easton Tribute Shaft.  Good alloy and affordable.
Casse Couilles!

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
Aluminums forever!!!!  :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
in Over 40 years, i've never had a reason not to shoot em, other than shootin woodies now and then out of my longbow, never have tried a carbon, just never saw a reason to.. Aluminums are consistant and very easy to get a hunting weight arrow without any added weights,over the years i have shot alot of diffrent sizes and my current 2020's and 175 gr head weigh a little over 600  grains, they work very well, just like my zwickies, i'll probably be shootin em alot more years to come....
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©