3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When you know the bow Fits  (Read 500 times)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
When you know the bow Fits
« on: March 17, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
I went to a 3D shoot today and had the opportunity to shoot several different Long bows.  It was very obvious which ones pointed better, drew smother, and felt right to me.  A year ago when a really started getting back to trad they all felt nice.  I really like comparing bows.  Bad part is the list of ones I want is really growing.  A  Leon Stewart is moving to the top.
T ZZZZ

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When you know the bow Fits
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
My wife loves her Leon Stewart.  It's the quietest shooter we have in the house.

Tom

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
I agree. Over the past 3.5 years I've found:

1. A new bow seems to shoot terrific those first few sessions.

2. After more shooting I start to notice that some are more effortless than others to shoot well.

3. I've now become extremely picky about what I want.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
What I have found is, that even when you find that perfect bow all is well.Until you start looking thru the classifieds on this site!Just so many great bows out there.Two years ago I thought my search was over and it probally should be,the next thing I know Im all anxious about the arrival of my new Black Creek Siren!
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
I don't buy too many these days as I have one that I just can't quit shooting and won't ever give up!

Bisch

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
One should be able to shoot almost any bow well, but the one that fits your body best is the one you'll shoot like no other.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
I'm with you, Bisch.  I fought bow grips for 20+ years and finally had a bowyer study me shooting several bows in videos and figured out what was up with the way I grip a bow... built me one that loves my hand!

Lots of hand candy out there that I love to look at... but once I got my 'issue doctored' I won't ever be happy with a bow that isn't contoured the same as my prize one!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 06:49:00 AM »
"One should be able to shoot almost any bow well, but the one that fits your body best is the one you'll shoot like no other"

Not sure I totally agree with this.  Some bows are just not that well made or constructed properly and don't shoot well.  Now if it is a quality bow then I wouild say yes.  It does take me a few shots to get the feel on a different bow.  I shot two rounds of 3D yesterday.  One wiht the recurve one with the LB.  Grip, weight made the first few shots when I made the change off somewhat.
T ZZZZ

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »
I know what you mean. I had gone thru quite a few very good straightlimbed bows, but from the moment my JD Berry Vixen arrived I knew it was perfect, I immediately sold all other straightlimbed bows and ordered a Misty Dawn from James. I now have a third on order from him and it's just the overall feel and shoot ability that grabbed me.  

Don't get me wrong I can still shoot other bows and shoot them well but it just feels natural with the Vixen.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
MY Leon Stewart   is  ALSO the quietest bow I own BY FAR !.
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline Echo62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
What Bisch said!
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by tracker12:
I went to a 3D shoot today and had the opportunity to shoot several different Long bows.  It was very obvious which ones pointed better, drew smother, and felt right to me.  A year ago when a really started getting back to trad they all felt nice.  I really like comparing bows.  Bad part is the list of ones I want is really growing.  A  Leon Stewart is moving to the top.
LS bows are simply awesome.  I know exactly what you mean about trying bows and eventually feeling what's right.  I'd sell all my other bows and maybe a gun before I gave up my 66" LS takedown LB.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
I understand Leon does not make a 2 piece TD.  Did he ever?
T ZZZZ

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
I knew it when I picked up my first Kanati.
Now standing way back in the back of this years' line waiting on another one.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »
Back about 6-7 years ago Leon made a few with the sleeve type T/D system. I still have one. I really like his one piece bows the best. Just my opinion. But in the same breath I believe my next Leon Stewart Longbow will be another three piece. Have to balance the herd!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
I agree with njloco, as I can pick up most any bow and shoot it wellas long as the arrows match up, but my RERs with a grip custom fit to me, I shoot the best. I am dying for a new Cari-bow Tuktu static tip recurve! Shawn
Shawn

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
I have a memory problem ( please don't make fun of me ) I bought my L.S. from a very nice guy up at Denton Hill a few years back, last year he asked to buy it back, I felt really bad, but I told him he can have it for free, just find out where they bury me and dig it up !, Love my Stewart, might sell all of my other bow as it just don't make any sense to shoot anything else, but you know how it it, that darn grass always seems to be greener on the other side.

Tracker12, Please, look me up at one of the shoots, and I'll do my best to show you what I mean, just don't make the bow too heavy of a draw as I am getting old.

Hey Big Ed, go for it, here is some eye candy,

• Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©