3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trip To Martys  (Read 534 times)

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
Trip To Martys
« on: March 17, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
We have been spending the last 3 months in FL. We went to Jupiter about a month or so ago and met Marty and friend Alison at P.J. and Leslie Petinots Italian restaurant. During a long lunch hour, Marty invited P.J. and myself to his lease or a hog hunt. It happened this weekend. We were sorry P.J. was unable to make it because of being so busy at the restaurant. Spring training is full swing and his place is within rock throwing distance of a baseball stadium.

I drove to the camp Friday afternoon and met Marty at the gate. The camp is actually a few miles from the highway and four wheel drive is needed for the soft sand. It is unbelievably comfortable with all the comforts of home in a remote setting. Here are a few random pics of it.

This is where all the evening bull sessions are held.

The main kitchen area.

Inside....

This diesel generator supplies all the electricity needed.

The meat pole....

These "swamp buggies" will go most anywhere.

Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trip To Martys
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
Way Cool!  Looking forward to this one Bill!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
I am not the caliber of story teller that Charlie and some of the others that are so good at it but here is my condensed version.

Shortly after arriving in camp Marty wanted to get right to the task of shooting some hogs. We took the swamp buggy. This was a first for me and it is quite a ride. Although it was dry and no water to really try it out in I was impressed.

His feeders have two ladder stands each so most times you may hunt no matter the wind direction. I was dropped off at one that had considerable activity. Wish I could remember the name of it.

The stands are set in live oaks in such a way that limbs provide natural cover.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
Beside the hogs, there are a lot of raccoons and others that help themselves to the corn.

This buck is just starting a new years antler growth and has had a mishap of sorts.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
Also saw a lot of these critters.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Kissner:

The main kitchen area.

Sooo why do we need lighter fluid for the propane grill?   Evidently Biggie is right about Marty

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
"all he can do is put you on 'em Bill ".     How did peanut smell.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
I had been in the stand a couple hours when  three pigs came from my left and ran directly to the corn. After slowly coming to a standing position, I turned to my right to get into shooting position. There were two blacks and a charcoal gray that was the larger of the three and I concentrated on him.

They were moving as hogs do when seeing corn. It looked as if each was afraid the others were going to eat it all with them rushing around eating as fast as possible. After a while my arm got tired from holding the bow up and I relaxed hoping they would settle down.

The stand was at least 16 feet high and the hogs were only about 12 or 14 yards away making the shot a pretty steep angle. I guessed the charcoal pig was about 50 or 60 pounds but after talking to Marty, I might have under guessed him a little. Anyway after several minutes, he turned broadside and stopped for me to get a shot. The arrow entered behind and above the shoulder at a pretty much downward angle. They exploded and vanished into the palmettos.

I sat and replayed the shot over a few times and concluded it was slightly high but still confident it was fatal. Sent a text to Marty and he replied simply "Keep shooting".

After sitting no more than 20 minutes, here came a red hog from my left again. After standing and surveying the situation several minutes he circled and went to the corn. He was standing while facing me head on and stayed that way eating corn for at least five minutes.

A cold front had passed through and as it got later in the day the temp had dropped making it quite chilly. Only a tee shirt separated me from the cold and that hog was taking his time before giving me a shot.

He eventually turned broadside and then turned farther making the shot quartering away which I liked even better. The arrow was good entering almost like the first hog and angling downward and forward. As he ran in generally the same direction as the other I could see the arrow sticking out both sides. After another text to Marty, he showed up with "Peanut", his blood tracker.

This little beagle is all business. Having been around several tracking dogs, this gal really impressed me. She immediately started dragging Marty at a quicker pace than he could maintain through the tough going palmettos. It was a quick track of about 125 or 150 yards.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
Outstanding, Bill!  Congratulations!  Keep the story coming.

Hi Marty!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
Been there... done it. Good job Bill, Marty AND Peanut. bw

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
After finding the second hog shot, we concentrated on the first. Getting back through the palmettos and to the start of the other trail was difficult and we made a small circle to avoid the worst of it. Peanut quickly was on the go again and taking Marty  faster than he could navigate while holding on. The blood was sparse but enough was visible enough to verify Peanut was on the trail. After going about 150 to 200 yards, and the going getting worse and worse, we decided the pig was going to be way more trouble than it would be worth to find. We were both bleeding and took Peanut off the trail. The coyotes and bears could have it.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
It was down in the upper thirties during the two nights and it must have been the cold weather keeping them holed up or maybe some other reason. I hunted Saturday morning, Saturday night, Sunday morning and never saw another hog.

No matter though as it was a great time with good people. Marty went all out to make sure I had every chance. He is tops in my book!

The sweetest little gal you will find!

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »
Bill,

You, Sir, are a traditional killin' machine!  Maybe you could smoke up a little wild pork bacon to wrap around loin medallions from the elk you arrowed last Fall. The magic Black Widow "speaks" again...

Looks like a great place for a hunt, and you sure couldn't beat the company.  Glad you had a chance to make it all come together.

Have you been working out or something?  Your face looks like you are getting thinner!!!

Way to go    :archer:  

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
Hey Daryl, the only working out I have been doing here in FL is with a fork! The seafood is the best and both Jeanne and I have been doing our best to help with the bad economy in the restaurants!

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
I just noticed my Bernie Swank cap is turned ala Barry!    :D   I don't shoot left handed and don't wear it that way so it must have gotten hung on some of the palmettos and pulled around on my head. That stuff is mean!

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
Bill... I'm not sure about you but my hats on straight.. My head's on crooked. Ask Marty. bw

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 07:21:00 AM »
Congrats, Bill!!

Was Suzie jealous that Peanut got to track your pig?

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 07:23:00 AM »
Congrats again Bill....time with Marty is as good as it gets!!   :campfire:  

ps...I like the hat  a la Uncle Barry    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 07:55:00 AM »
Aw schucks Curt, sounds like you wanna come back! Had a great time with Bill and glad he scored the first evening. Not many hogs were sighted all weekend by any camp members while turkey hunting, in fact even the turkeys were elusive. However, we had a good time just being there in the cold- it's 30 degrees warmer this morning- I imagine all our cold fronts are gone. Biggie taught me to keep the trailer cold inside and I'm glad Bill had enough insulation to suck it up.  He's even honest enough to say the feeder scared him when it went off!
I met Bill at Beat Quest a few years ago and he's my hero- retired and traveling the US with his 5th wheel! Pretty sure "retire" to me will be getting new ones on the truck.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
Every feeder we came to it was "Barry killed a big one here" or "Biggie ate 28 doughnuts while sitting here" or "Joey missed 2 turkeys here"! This place needs to be renamed to something like "Florida Archery Retreat for Tellers of Stories". That would be FARTS for short.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©