3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Texas public land hog hunt  (Read 870 times)

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Texas public land hog hunt
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
I want in on some of this action.  I've heard that Alazan Bayou WMA can be good, as well as the Davy Crockett National Forest.  I think a group hunt is called for!

Offline Ray Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
White Oak Creek WMA is 28,000 acres and is about 30-40 miles west of Texarkana.They require a 48.00 public land hunting permit.It is full of hogs.They have a hog season in Feb and March.Also,there is a month long turkey season in April or May that you could probably hunt hogs during that time.This is a hog hunters paradise.You can check all the regs on the internet.Just google White Oak Creek WMA in Texas and I'm sure that alot of info will pop up.I've mainly hunted ducks on it but have seen lots and lots of hog sign and have a buddy who has killed two hogs on it while deer hunting or scouting.Actually,in some parts of it,the hogs have taken over.That's why there is a specific hog season.

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
White Falcon:  No I live in Forney, TX an hour and half west of lindale.

BApilot2: I am instrument/commercial and working on my CFI.

To all:  I am down to whatever place you guys want to go...and I am kinda thinkin about maybe doing an overnight camp too...would anyone like that?  I can throw down a mean peach cobbler in a dutch oven.  A night roughin it in the woods followed by a day of pig huntin with a bunch of good 'ol stick and string guys sounds awesome!
Quinn Stallion Classic 40# @ 29"
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline sabas silva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
Hey guys I am a little behind on this one but I would be interested and I am a couple miles east of six flags, I hunt public land

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 02:33:00 AM »
Flyboy,

I'll tell you one thing... the test for getting your CFI will probably be the hardest test you will ever take.  For my CFI I had a 7 1/2 hour oral exam, which covered anything and everything related to regs, the psychology of teaching, aircraft systems, aeronautics, etc. etc. etc., before I ever got to fly with the guy.  Then we flew for 2 1/2 hours.  It was a beat down!  But I passed!!!  So, best of luck to you in that endeavor.

Back to hogs and hunting and the original intent of this thread...

I'm seriously thinking of heading out to the Old Sabine Bottom WMA this coming Tuesday, April 2.  My plan is to get out there sometime in the afternoon, hopefully get in an afternoon hunt, stay the night, and then hunt most of the day on Wednesday.  I'm not sure if I would be able to stay Wednesday night.  I'd just have to see how it develops.  

I've never been out there so this may end up being more of a scouting venture than a hunting expedition but I've got to start somewhere.  I'm going to try and make a few phone calls during the day today, Wednesday, March 27, and see if I can get in touch with the overseer or biologist with the hope that they can give me some good advice and direction on what to expect.

If I make the trip is anyone else interested in meeting up out there at Old Sabine Bottom?

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
I would be in fr an overnight. If I am off.
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
I'm in if it works for my schedule... I'm in San Antonio...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
I won't be able to tues. I will be off tht weekend. If y'all get to go give us a good report
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
Awesome!  I have family coming in over the Easter weekend so I am out.  I am going to look at what is going on for the following weekend April 6-7.

Bapilot:  A scout report would be awesome, I talked with a guy last week that works for Scott at the refuge and he was helpful, I had planned to go to sabine bottom  weekend before last but he talked me into going to Tawakoni WMA since it is closer for me.  I found some awesome sign and even foud a hog bedding area that smelled like a pig barn with poop everywhere.  I also found a 10 point skull (someone must have lost that deer)But I heard from a few people up there that there are a lot of meth heads in the area and like to bust truck windows out and cause problems.

Welcome sabas silva and bowhunter4life.

Any and all ideas to help get organized for a hunt and camp are appreciated!
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
Fly boy. That will be a good weekend for me. If you go I will

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
sounds good beaver#1...I checked with my wife and one of the rugrats has a ball game that day but maybe we could make it a saturday night camp sunday hunt
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
Flyboy,

Are you saying that there are meth-heads around the Old Sabine Bottom, or around Tawakoni?  Did you have any problems while out?

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »
Sounds good to me  pm me and we will get the specifics settled iut when yiu get the chance

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
BApilot2

No the meth head problem is at Tawokani.  Haven't heard any problems at all at old sabine bottom.  It's a shame about stuff like that, I still may hunt Tawokani a little cause I saw some good deer sign out there.
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
Ok! We have a tenative date and time for April 6th 5pm at the old sabine bottom wma.  I'm not 100% on camping that saturday evening but I am all but positive on Sunday morning meeting up and looking for some piggy's.  Let me know who is in!  beaver#1 is in I already talked with him, who else...
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2013, 12:17:00 AM »
Best of luck to you boys!

I'd love to join in but I've got to work that Sunday.  Keep us posted on how it turns out for y'all.

If I make the trip out there on Tuesday I'll give y'all details on how I make out.   Hopefully the hogs, as well as the weather, will cooperate.

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 08:09:00 AM »
Sounds good BAPilot2.  Good luck!  The weather looks fine...all you need is some piggy's.
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
Anybody else interested sunday is the day for next weekend...possibly camp saturday night
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
Sounds like a load of fun. Don't think I'll be able to make it. Y'all post up a results topic. Good luck!!
Romans 8:28

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
Where are planning on meeting?  I may be able to sneak away to hunt on Sunday.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©