3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bamboo/ cane arrow question  (Read 291 times)

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
Bamboo/ cane arrow question
« on: March 18, 2013, 02:18:00 AM »
all the cane arrow threads lately have me hankering to try some. I have seen them self nocked and with some sort of bone or insert type nock. My question is on the self nocked arrows is there an plug glued in before the nock is cut? Also the point taper for glue on points. Is there a plug glued in or is it just tapered like a wood arrow?

Thanks fellas
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bamboo/ cane arrow question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »
To give you the best answer I can, both ways work and work well.  If the nock end is small, I usually put a plug in it.  On the point end I always put a plug in it, but if the cane is good thick walled cane, that is not necessary.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
I used to plug cane arrows but don't bother with it any more. I just cut self nocks and haft stone and trade points directly in the cane. I do however use a sinew wrap below the self nocks and behind the stone and trade points. I also use glue on points. I use my belt sander to grind the tapers for both points and plastic nocks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
Mike,
I plug most of mine but don't think it would be necessary.  I jsut do it to add a little weight to the fron end of the shaft.  Like Pat said, I use sinew behind the nock and to haft the stone points.  I also taper them on my sander for glue on points.

We have some really good cane around locally.  I am in Paragould.  I have some drying now.  If you are looking for some I can tell you where to go.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the info fellas, it was what i needed to know.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
Someone told me to try using wood filler to plug the bamboo, this way you limit any splitting that might happen from trying to fit a plug.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
I use bamboo skewers used for kabobs. If they're too big I just sand them down. Got a few small diameter dowel rods too. Sometimes the holes are odd sized. Learned it all from Stringstretcher and Pat B.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by m midd:
all the cane arrow threads lately have me hankering to try some.

Thanks fellas
I know what you mean, Mike. It's very intriguing. Lots of good information floating around lately.
Romans 8:28

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »
I cant wait to get out and cut some. I have a good idea of where to start now, thanks to everyone that responded. I have a good patch at deer camp. Hopefully i can get up there this weekend and get a truck load.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 01:01:00 AM »
i have made a few i try to cut em on a node so that it will make the throat of the nock then i make em to my draw length that is 27" then tapper them as you would with pod shafts then glue on target points. if i want to make some with hunting points i just cut a u shape in the end and haft a hunting head on as in flint etc etc its fun have a go   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 07:20:00 AM »
If you want to make exact fit plugs, go to your local HD and get a stainless steel drill size plate.  You can take pieces of dowel and put them in a drill, and cut them down to any size you want to get the best fit.  Works like a champ
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©