3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Texas Success- Great hunt down south  (Read 1617 times)

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Texas Success- Great hunt down south
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
mounted and ready for the hunt

loaded for bear....well, javy and hogs

WE'RE HERE

proud member of
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Oklahoma Self Bow Society
Leedey Archery Association
PBS
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
The first night, I had decided to hunt the closest stand within walking distance.  After Pat and Cam left out I got my stuff headed to my stand.  The wind was a strong cross wind blowing from the South.  Karl had told us that the pigs like to circle the feeding area before coming in due to hunter pressure.  So I picked a spot I thought was cross wind from the barrel, got a nice ground blind all set up and set my bow down to settle in for the evening hunt.  I keep a small turkey feather as a wind indicator and noticed it blowing right to the drum from my right to left.  DANGIT, how did i miss that.  

luckilly there was a tripod stand in a perfect position from the barrel.  So i packed up my seat and haversack and crossed the road.
proud member of
PBS
Pope and Young Club

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »

you can see the tripod from the blind I made.  I got everything moved across the road and as I was climbing up into the stand and setting down I looked up to see about 15 pigs coming in from upwind of where I was just setting.  yeah they would have got downwind eventually but I believe I could have killed one had I stayed put.  Needless to say they saw me grab my bow and went back into the mesquite and prickly pair from whence they came
proud member of
PBS
Pope and Young Club

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
I had pigs coming in the rest of the evening, in  all i bet I saw 7 more after the initial group of sounders.  They were all following the same path coming aroudn the feeder and onto the road then back toward the big water hole behind me.  None had got within bow range and some winded me as they got down the road toward the water.  I had already decided to move down the road the next evening.
proud member of
PBS
Pope and Young Club

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
I shoulda take the time to shoot one of your Hill bows, Dustin.  The more I looked those things over, the more I liked em.  Plus, you said they come in handy for dragging hogs!

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Yeah, I really wish that I had taken my HH Rogue out with me more on that hunt.  Those arrows that Dave Sisamis made me were flying great, even in a strong crosswind.

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
don't worry NILLA, next time we get together ill have a whole assortment for you to choose from.  I got a little 66' Wesley Special that has your name written all over it brotha!
proud member of
PBS
Pope and Young Club

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
After the first night I had a good idea of what the hogs were doing, instead of coming to the corn during the day, they were skirting the feeder, doing a scent check and heading to water.  I have hunted hogs for a few years now but I sure havn't stacked up the pork like Pat so I solicited his expertise and opinion on my set up BASED UPON what the hogs had done all evening the night before.  Here is what we came up with...put a ton of corn in the bucket and on the ground to keep them longer, move back down wind from where they were emerging from the thick brush and hope for a passing shot on the way to water.  Worked for me so Pat was gracious enough to help me set up the tripod and cut shooting lanes and check my cover while I allowed for clearance with the 68" stick.
proud member of
PBS
Pope and Young Club

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »

Here is the view from the road, the pigs were coming out of the area in the upper right, the brushy spot, coming down the edge of the road and crossing a trail right where I was standing to take the pic, to go to the pond I assume.  NO cattle or horses on this ranch, only wildlife.  

the trail
proud member of
PBS
Pope and Young Club

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
View from the lane I WANTED THE PIGS TO BE IN

Unfortunatley they came from the trail! Two great looking boars, probably 150-175 pounds come up the trail crossed the road and right in front of my tripod at about 20 yards.  I was WIDE OPEN on that side and didn't dare move, when they finally got between me and some cover they were at a steady pace and didn't stop for a shot.  I couldn't ever get my bow up and into position for fear of spooking them from that open side.  
No worries, figured the night was young and I always heard hogs off to my left so it was a matter of time.  Right after dark I heard soft grunts right in front of me, it was too dark to see but I could hear the pigs not far at all.  They were sucking air like a Cow when I heard that terrible growl they use to give you the BIRD just before they turn around and go back to where they came.  I looked up at my feather and it was doing it's best zig zag to and fro, the wind had swirled as it died down, and that was that for the night.

Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice and I'm listening to Pat...I had a plan for night 3 that I knew would work
proud member of
PBS
Pope and Young Club

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
The next morning I got some stalks on Javy but never closed the deal, as stated earlier, the dang brush is so thick you just cant get through it to stalk, got to within about 50 yards and just could't go any further wtihout them seeing me, which they did.  I really believe if I had 1 or 2 more days we woudl all have been taking home Javy snacks for the freezer.  

I do want to say that reading the Pig PAradise thread with Cade and Guru and Terry Green was an inspiration to move forward with the mission at hand, get my frist ever long bow and wood arrow kill.  I really enjoyed the inspiring tale of the lucky penny and guess what!  I was telling Pat how much I wish I had a lucky penny for the night and he just so happened to notice one on the floor?! HMM seemed kind of fishy but what the heck I figured can't hurt, a little MOJO from the Pig PAradise Thread perhaps?!?!!?! I picked it up and put it in my pocket while we discussed the evenings strategy over beautifully grilled, melt in your mouth pork steaks!  Great work on the grill Cam!
proud member of
PBS
Pope and Young Club

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
Sounds like fun. Nice Hog Pat...Not as much daytime movement as our February hunt?  Looks like the heat was more of a factor too.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Oh ya Pat thanks for clearing up the whole hat thing. It looked Victorian.... Glad thats all cleared up..  :D

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Victorian, huh.  That is one way to put it, lol.

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
We had spoke with Karl that afternoon, and he had asked if anyone hunted the close stand, I said I had again and he confirmed that it had not been hit that night.  At first i thought this was bad news as I knew they were coming in and scented me.  However the more I thought about it the more my opinion began to change. That area was covered in Pigs, I saw over 20 in less than 2 hours on the first day before sunset.  They live there, and they missed an easy meal the night before.  I knew I had a chance if I played my cards right and had some mojo on my side, my lucky lincoln head penny, and some help from Pat.  

We both agreed that the best bet was to move the tripod or just set on teh ground as far downwind from the main water trail as was safe.  

Pat was again gracious enough with his time to help me move the tripod again, however I had a feeling those pigs live not too far from that feeder, so I declined and took off toward the area.  I wanted as little disturbance as possible.  Luckilly the little 6' tripods are very light and easilly manuverable.  I hope to get the plans from the ranch owner and get some made up for my lease here in Oklahoma to tuck in some Cedar trees where I cant a tree stand but I digress.  I got into position for my last night on the ranch...little did I know it was about to get PRIMAL!   :eek:
proud member of
PBS
Pope and Young Club

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
:campfire:
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
This was one of my only out of state bowhunting trips where I didn't end up in womens clothing in a truckstop bathroom.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by toehead:
...little did I know it was about to get PRIMAL!    :eek:  
Like loinclothes and cactus toiletpaper!

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
lets just say somethign was about to get stuck.and from the look in his eye it was just as easily me as him!!!
proud member of
PBS
Pope and Young Club

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Vanilla Gorilla:
This was one of my only out of state bowhunting trips where I didn't end up in womens clothing in a truckstop bathroom.
NICE! lol..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©