3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowfishing Bow Options  (Read 361 times)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowfishing Bow Options
« on: March 18, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
I am looking to set up a recurve for bow fishing.  Looking for an inexpensive option in a bow.  Got any suggestions that I should look for on the auction sites.
T ZZZZ

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowfishing Bow Options
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
Buy used on here!! Not sure what weight you normally shoot, but 45-50# is perfect for bowfishing 52-60"s. Most older recurves can be had fairly cheap except the Bears, people seem to think Bears are worth more. I would say you can put a post in the classifieds what you are looking for and get one for around $75-100. Shawn
Shawn

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
bear 76r
mag riser solid glass limbs = bullet proof bowfishin
oh and i almost forgot they can be had pretty cheap

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Browning Wasp bows are generally one of the best deals to be had in older used bows. You can often get one for less than $125.00 and they shoot extremely hard and are a joy to shoot. I got mine for less than $100.00 and I use it as a backup bow to my Kanati and it is my go-to bowfishing bow.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Ditto what Shawn said.I use an old Bear Grizzly,works just fine.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Locally the Bear Kodiak Hunter seems to be the go-to bowfishing recurve.  But for some reason even the green Futurewood KHs have skyrocketed in price lately.  If you find one for $60 at a garage sale or pawn shop they make a great fishing bow.

A Browning Wasp or Cobra would be excellent as well . . . but the same problem.  People have suddenly realized what they are worth vs. new bows.  90% of the bow at 10% of the price.  I really like the Browning bows.

What you have to find is a 1970's bow with the 5/16" ABO bushing (unless you use a strap on reel or bushing block).  Keep an eye out for a Shakespeare X-series.  They still haven't caught up with value vs. selling price.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Shawn is right buy used. Lots of great Recurves for under a 100.00 out there.

If You want a bombproof bow check out the Cartel risers with the Samick Sage limbs. Riser is a composite material and only 40.00 from LAS. Samick limbs are 70.00 brand new and available from 30-65 lbs.

This combo makes a 62" bow. Riser has stabilizer insert for spinner set ups and holes to mount retrievers also.

bretto

Offline chrisherring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 11:35:00 PM »
I am using the same setup as bretto and it is an awesome bowfishing rig less than $130 shipped

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 07:06:00 AM »
Thanks for the suggestings.  I have located a deal on an old Pearson for $40.00.  I would need to install a ABO bushing but I would think they would be avaialable online somewhere.  It's at 45# which is where I want to be for a fishing bow.
T ZZZZ

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 07:38:00 AM »
Good information here. In my guide service we have a large stable of bows but the #1 bow shot and enjoyed by our clients for fish and gators are the short recurves. This is even more important if you have two archers shooting together in the front of a boat.

Good luck in your search.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by tracker12:
Thanks for the suggestings.  I have located a deal on an old Pearson for $40.00.  I would need to install a ABO bushing but I would think they would be avaialable online somewhere.  It's at 45# which is where I want to be for a fishing bow.
Forget about installing a bushing. Here's what I use and it works great on the front for mounting spincast reels or you can put it on the side for mounting screw-on quivers and AMS Retriever reels:

Made by AMS.
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
Any bow will do, but there are few things to consider.  If on a boat with knee rail, I like a recurve that is 52-56", so I don't smack the limb.  I am firm believer in buying a used bow, cheap.  Bowfishing is not bowhunting, the bow will get banged and wet as well as thrown.  I used a martin rebel for years but the limb finally twisted.  But my first and favorite Recurve for bowfishing is Shakespeare, wish someone made them again.  Them and a strap on reel seat mount and your in business.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
What model Shakespeare did you like.  I see them around once in a while.  I know what you mean about wet.  i often times wade and when I get a fesh that I streuggle with I just toss the bow in the water.  At one yime I have an old Kodiak Magmun all painted up but it has long been gone to who knows where.  

Thanks for the AMS bracket suggestion.  I'll be ordering one of those.
T ZZZZ

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
Don't forget to look at some new bows, like a Samik sage, Martin Jaguar, or Great tree.  I got a Great Tree recurve brand new on close out for $95.  It's a 3 piece takedown and has all the bushings.  Works great for bowfishing.  Good luck.

Offline Juan Matos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
Do you guys worry about arrow spine when shooting those big ol fiberglass arrows?  Or is it one size fits all?

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
I noticed 3Rivers has two adapters of traditional bows to attach the reels.  One shown above is by AMS and antother called the traditional gadget adapter.  The second being $10 cheaper and actually looks nicer.  Anyone have experience with these two and have a recommendation.
T ZZZZ

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by tracker12:
I noticed 3Rivers has two adapters of traditional bows to attach the reels.  One shown above is by AMS and antother called the traditional gadget adapter.  The second being $10 cheaper and actually looks nicer.  Anyone have experience with these two and have a recommendation.
I like the one made by AMS because you can use it on the side of the bow and use the two smaller threaded holes to mount a screw-on quiver, AMS Retriever reel, or......gasp...perhaps even, dare I say.......a bowsight!(oops sorry, trad police!). Or, you can also mount it to the front of the bow and use the larger middle threaded hole for a spincast reel seat, hand wind spool, string fed Game Tracker device, or even a stabilizer(ouch, sorry again, trad police!).   :saywhat:    ;)    

The Traditional Gadget Adapter is limited to mounting on the front of the bow and only has one larger threaded hole for mounting reel seats and hand wind spools and such.
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline Scooter Trash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
I have a pair of Martin Mambas for bowfishing.  I installed bushings for the Retriever gave them a custom bowfishing camo and then a couple coats of clear for extra water protection.

We fish out of a boat most of the time.  Sometimes even in the boat the bow will go swimming.

Bowfishing is tougher on a bow than deerhunting, several hundred shots each time out, bouncing around the boat, getting stepped on in the dark, extreme heat or cold.

Offline normf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
I have a Hoyt Excel ILF riser with a stabilizer bushing that you could mount a  reel on. The rear plunger hole is stripped but you could shoot off the front one. I have some short ILF limbs that would be 46# at 28 in on that riser with a couple lbs. of adjustment that I could mount on it. P.M. if interested
NFetscher

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
Some of the bowfishing companies are starting to make arrows for lighter poundage bows
Lucas Kent

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©