3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: CARBON PENETRATION?  (Read 4168 times)

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: CARBON PENETRATION?
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
I have noticed a huge difference in penetration since switching to carbons. I used to shoot 60 lbs @29 inches with 2018's and 2 blade heads. I now shoot 49@29 w/woodsmans and 488 grain (total weight including the 50 grain brass adaptor) goldtips. I consintently get better penetration with this setup than I did with the 60lb bow w/aluminums. I have shot 2 deer this year with this setup with complete pass throughs and arrow buried deep into the dirt. After shooting carbons for the past 4 years, I'll never use aluminum again on big game.
BCD
BCD

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
IMHO, and I'm no expert, I think a well tuned setup, good shot placement, and sharp broadhead are more important than shaft material in reference to penetration.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
I've never had trouble with aluminum or wood penetration, but I do understand the the smaller diameter carbons are great penetrating arrows, without adding the extra weight.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
After having taken big game with wood, aluminum and carbon, I have to honestly say the carbons seem to penetrate better than the other two. That's why, other than wood small game arrows, I shoot carbon exclusively now.

Offline olderndirt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
Shot a doe two weeks ago with my 52#@27 Morrison using axis 500 with 225 gr. woodsman.  Shot was 10 yds from treestand quartering away.  Hit about midway back the ribs and exited low through the off side shoulder and stuck in the ground.  Cut a rib completely on entrance and shattered the shoulder/leg joint on exit.  Doe ran a circle around the stand. and presented a 25 yd shot slightly quartering toward.  This arrow hit where the thick web joins the scapula.  Shattered the web and blew a hole in the scapula. cut a rib under the scapula and centered between ribs on exit.  This arrow hung by the fletching for one bound.  Deer went another 10 yards before crashing.  I've never been able to get that kind of performance with aluminum or wood.
I'm not lost ... I'm exploring alternative destinations

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
If you look at Dr.Ashby's report, small diameter carbons definitely help in the penetration department.
Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©