3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Doing it the hard way?  (Read 335 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Doing it the hard way?
« on: March 18, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
I had a fellow today refer to the traditional way, as the hard way, but is it really?
This is my 2nd shot of the day at 18 yrds., shot cold, with no warm ups other than my first shot into the bag above which had similar results. Be that as it may, my point is that I simply burned a hole in the spot, pushed, pulled, anchored, and released, now dont get me wrong, im no great shot, .....but it seemed to be more of a natural way than hard way to me.
Granted it takes a lot more time, dedication and practice to become proficient with our weapons of choice, but is it really the hard way? I think not, but in fact for me it is the natural way and the fun way because of my love for the pure   simplicity as well as my love of shooting.
Challenging.....yes, more dedication and practice.....yes, doing it the hard way....absolutely not!
Traditional archery is as it should be, requiring a dedication that is  challenging, simple, fun and very efficient with simple equipment... but referring to it as the hard way.....I just cant agree!
Is it really doing it the hard way?
      [/url] [/IMG]

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Doing it the hard way?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
When I miss chip shots at standing deer with my longbow I like to think I'm doing it the hard way!   ;)
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
The hard way.......maybe not, the most challenging way........indeed!   :)
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
Most rewarding way, for sure!

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by moleman:
[QB] I had a fellow today refer to the traditional way, as the hard way, but is it really?
If you do it from the ground with fair chase - yes.  It is harder than any firearm related hunting.

Personally, I find the lack of sights and smoothness of draw and speed of finger draw and release faster and more suited to hunting than a more modern bow.  So in that sense no, it is no harder than any other bowunting.  You just have to be good enough or patient enough to get within 25 yards.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
To take your thought one step further, those shots where I just concentrate on my target and draw and shoot, when the arrow seems to have no alternative other than to go exactly where I want it to go, when I somehow know it's going to go there even before I release the shot, seem effortless.  If only we could figure out how to make them happen more often....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
I'm gonna have to agree with Howard Hill on this one; it is the "hard way", but his comparison was to firearm hunting as compounds had not hit the scene yet. I do agree with all of your thoughts on traditional archery.  Some of us just love it that way.  Or think of it this way; some will say going to the gym and exercising to be strong and fit is the hard way compared to being a couch potato.

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
It may be hard at first, but if you practice enough it becomes second nature. For me it isn't "the Hard Way" but simply "the Way". In hunting situations I don't think about how challenging it is. It just comes together naturally.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
The natural way for sure.  On the ground and fair chase is what I prefer personally.  Wheelies just don't even compute with me anymore.  If I'm too lazy to use a bow for some reason I'd just use a gun and be done with it.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 12:22:00 AM »
depends on the day for me, some days it's easy, some days it's not, was the same with training wheels too. I'm always on when we stump while out hunting, but shooting man made targets versus natural stuff, it's litteraly hit and miss:)
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
You make a good point, it's only the hard way for people who don't enjoy it.  Cheers, Moleman!
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
There are many things that make trad hunting difficult, especially if you're not in a tree or ground blind.

Getting to draw undetected is probably the hardest.  So far I can't seem to hold my bow at full draw for 2 minutes or so.

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
Its only as hard as you make it. If you practice, practice and practice it shouldn't be any harder then hunting with any other weapon. The only difference is shooting with in your limits. We all should know our own limits. I know guys that harvest deer all the time with a recurve or a longbow and I know guys that can't even harvest an animal with a firearm. What is the hard way ???????

I feel it's a more rewarding way.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline Turkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
"Hunters" these days are lazy. You can ask most any compound guy and they will tell you that most of their shots are 25yds or less. So getting into range usually isn't why most people use compounds. I believe the reason folks go with wheels is they do not want to put in the time and effort it takes to become proficient with trad gear. It has taken me 2 years of regular practice for me to feel confident out to 25yds with my trad bow. Now I can miss a week of shooting and still be proficient. With a compound on the other hand a brand new archer having no expierence can be proficient with a compound in just a few hours. Once there, a person can go all year and not shoot, and pick the bow up again and still be proficient at 30yds or less. Technology has allowed people to be "good shots" with little practice or dedication. That is why they consider traditional to be the hard way. I was one of those guys who probably shot less than 100 arrows per year from my compound. Not because I didnt want to but because I didnt have to. I quit the wheelie because in the last 2yrs I owned it I shot less than 12 arrows total, and I still could hit a softball at 50yds almost every time. Trad may be a bit "harder" but it is a whole lot more fun.
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
The Hard Way-maybe/maybe not.  How long did it take you to reach that level of proficiency? How often do you shoot to retain that profieciency? Wheels, sights, release-especially if you've shot a gun, in a very few weeks you can be a "bowhunter".  How often do "they" practice?  Many break out the wheels a week or so before the season, shoot a couple dozen arrows-everything's still "dialed in", they're ready to go.  Can you do that with a stick and a string???
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
Some people refer to something as hard when they really mean it requires more concentration and discipline than they are willing to invest.
Sam

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
Amen to that, Sam!!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Interesting feedback guys. As with most endeavors, you reap what you sow, the more you put in, the more you get out, but does that really make it hard?
The path we have chosen is what gives us the greatest pleasure, which includes the dedication, practice, the challenge and hunting within our limitations, which we gladly accept as being part of what and who we are, for me thats what makes it enjoyable. Im not suggesting that its the easiest way, because it takes time and dedication with a bit of frustration thrown in to become proficient....the hard way, possibly, but challenging.....without a doubt!    :banghead:

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
Anybody that's hunted in a public land general draw unit in a western state knows that's doing it the hard way no mater what weapon you have in your hand.

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
If you really want to do something the hard way, try still hunting for Iowa whitetails with a heavy metal riser compound.  I tried it for the better part of a season back in the early 70s with a four wheeler Wing, it is impossible.  I finished that season shooting a moving deer with a Bear takedown while I was out sneaking around. Still hunting with a longbow is still hard, but has more possibilities for success.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©