3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Doing it the hard way?  (Read 336 times)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Doing it the hard way?
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
If we practice and use correct form with a well tuned arrow, no it's not any harder INSIDE 20 YARDS or so to kill a deer with a traditional bow.  But outside 20 yards or so, YOU BET IT'S HARDER ....... and animals outside 20 yards happen a lot!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
Don't confuse "simple" with "easy".

A trad bow is simple, a rifle is easy.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
The proposition that compounds and trads aren't really that different since most guys shoot at 25 yards or less ignores how.

They sit very high in trees and the animal approaches them.  When they have to get up on the animal those ranges get much longer.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
It's also not so "hard" when it comes to abnormal positions, angles, or low light.   I can shoot wheels pretty decent (but don't), and there are several situations where I think bare bow is a better choice, if getting the job done is your only consideration.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Horserod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 01:49:00 AM »
You're spot on Turk.  My son went over to the "dark side" a few years back because as he said "I know to be efficient with the trad bow I have to practice alot and I don't have the time anymore to do that.  With this new XYZ wheelbow I can put three arrows inside a 50 cent piece at 50 yards and I don't have to practice hardly at all! When it's huntin' time I just go get the XYZ bow off the rack, shoot a couple arrows to make sure everythings OK and go to the treestand".  Well, at least I taught him the Trad way in the beginning and he took some deer too.......Hopefully, he'll come back around some day in the future.  I'll keep heading afield with my quiver on my back and my trusty longbow in my hand.  It's the way I love to hunt.  A little harder? Yes, but, worth it every time I take a shot!    :)    Horserod

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©