3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Barry Wensel's Whitetail Bootcamp  (Read 474 times)

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Barry Wensel's Whitetail Bootcamp
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Daryl and Jon: Thanks for the kind words. If it wasn't for Susan I'd not have accomplished a quarter of what I've learned in the woods. As I said this weekend, I can't impress how important  time spent in the timber is to your future success. All those plans and schemes make it so much more rewarding when it finally all comes together. It's the self satisfaction it wasn't just pure luck and you'll be able to do it again and again. That's the seed I'm wanting to plant in the younger hunters today. Please feel free to share those thoughts and details. It was my pleasure this weekend. Thank you. BW

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
Well, I'm still in my hotel room reflecting on the time spent in Iowa with Barry, Jon, Daryl and the rest of the folks. All I can say is, " Man!, what a great time spent learning from Barry and a great time with others who share my passion." Susan is a great cook and I am still stuffed!!! (Yes Tim, I still have a problem.)

Jon and Daryl it was great to meet you both. I look forward to seeing how your season progresses. Jon, see if Ryan will join Tradgang, He is a great guy.

The more I reflect on what was shown and said; Barry once again, hits the nail on the head; time spent in the deer woods is most important. I can tell that it ain’t no joke for Barry. (: Ah, and another thing to think about is putting the pieces together. I have a whole bunch of notes…

Those folks heading out to boot camp should be excited. You will think differently when you return to your hunting grounds.

Barry thank you. It was money very well spent. Please thank Susan for such great food. I look forward to seeing you again someday. I would love to hear about the tracks in the area after this snow fall. (:

Martin

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
Believe me Uncle Barry. You got the wheels turning. I spent 4 hours today on the phone with my buddy Ryan Kramer (also at bootcamp) just talking about what we learned and how to apply it. It's also a confidence builder to know what we are doing correctly. It was a great experience for us both. Thanks again bud. I hope to see Susan...I mean you soon!  HA!

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
Nice to meet you as well Martin.  I viewed everyone in camp as an asset. All passionate whitetail hunters and good guys. After the first day in the woods, you could almost see the wheels turning in everyones head as they thought about how they could apply what they had just learned to their favorite whitetail haunts.

I teach 2 or 3 trapping clinics every fall as part of my job.  Through the years I've learned a great deal from students and especially from the questions they ask and the responses to those questions by other instructors.

For you guys headed to bootcamp, pick Barry's brain and dont be shy about asking questions or offerring suggestions.  Like I said, he's very accommodating and there's a reason for everything he does out there. Oh yeah, one more thing. You'll get used to being hoodwinked after the first couple trips to the farm, so don't fret about that.

Have fun guys, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 06:33:00 AM »
Daryl,

You got that right! Ask questions. Stay close as you walk as well. Barry can and will walk and talk.  :)  On top of that you may laugh your "you know what off!"  Great stories.

Martin

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Elk hunt this fall- go to Iowa - Elk hunt this fall - go to Iowa?  Dang it, I want to do both!
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Yelloweye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
Barry,
I would like to get info on the next boot camps.
Looks like I will be doing some traveling to Iowa.
Want to see if I can make it to camp.
Seen you guys when you were in Bethlehem Pa was great, man that was a long time ago.

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Burnsie:
Elk hunt this fall- go to Iowa - Elk hunt this fall - go to Iowa?  Dang it, I want to do both!
Burnsie
I'm going to do just that..........both!
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
Thanks a lot Barry, I really enjoyed the Bootcamp, and picked up some tips. Your wife is a super nice lady, and great cook.

Jim
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
Thanks Barry, It was quite a treat to walk around in the very woods that you hunt. Your explanations of why you do what you do will be very helpful. It just doesn't get any better than that, spending time with a living legend , on his own turf. Listening to your stories was priceless.    Greg

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
Thanks much Barry! It was a great opportunity that I will never forget.

Brady
BD

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
Thank you guys for making it a pleasure for me. The last day getting soaked got me chilled. Likely because of the blood thinners they presently have me on. I couldn't seem to take it like I used to. I'll be fine and am getting better every day but I'm still licking my wounds. I said to my wife I can't believe I used to do six weeks in a row of these sessions just five years ago. At any rate, it was an absolute honor to share my opinions with so many like-minded hardcore whitetailers. Here's hoping you share our secrets with the young hunters of our future generation. Thanks again. BW

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
I wouldn't blame the meds on not being able to take the cold, unfortunately. 39 years I've worked in the woods and the last 5-6 years in the winter have been tough. I'm 62 now and won't stop the outside stuff, but it's discouraging to not be able to do what was easy before.
Would have loved to have been a part of this.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline JIM FRANK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
Barry,
 I don't post much but after spending the time with you I have to say it was a learning experience and will use what you taught us.Susan was a joy to meet and a great hostess so a special Thank You goes out to her also,and even in the rain it didn't wash the smiles off anyones face.
 So Thank You again for a great time.
Jim

Offline deathwind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
Barry,

The entire drive back home, the 3 of us discussed what we had learned from your class. I know that I can't wait until this coming spring to get started getting my treestand sites ready.  This coming fall should be awesome. Thanks for doing your classes. I know that I will be a better bowhunter because of it.

Thanks again,
Bill Mason

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
Thanks so much for everything Barry and Susan
Laurie and I had a great time and the learning experience was priceless .  It was our pleasure to get to know both of you .
I enjoyed the group we shared camp with and getting to know all of them at least a little.
Susan did a great job and Laurie really enjoyed helping out.
I can't wait to get out and put some of the recently gained knowledge to use.
So thanks again for doing this Barry and thanks to you and Susan for making our experience and our weekend .....wonderful!
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
I imagine, by now, Bootcamp #3 are walking the trails and observing the stand where Hurly was shot. I have been in the woods all week , putting Barry's teachings to good use. Thanks again Barry.

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
I wrapped up the final 2013 whitetail bootcamp sessions last weekend and wanted to thank all those involved. It was my pleasure to stir the "think tanks" with so many hardcore whitetail fanatics. I was impressed with the fact they were all good listeners and asked many great questions while in/out of the timber. Sharing philosophies helps us all make the right decisions down the road. I just met with the owner of the lodge facility. He gave me permission to do more bootcamps in the future. The "camp" has fifteen bunks in a single location so it works out well. Any possible dates for 2014 have not been confirmed yet but will likely be in March. Weather is a factor I can't control but have to deal with. I prefer to do the field work/discussions on bare ground before spring green-up. Dates will be dependent on my schedule, my health and availability for the facility. I'll likely not be able to physically do these much longer. If anyone is interested in possibly attending in 2014 please drop me an email at [email protected] and I'll put you on a contact list when plans are finalized. It was a great learning experience for us all (me included). Thanks again to everyone. BW

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
Thank you again Barry and Susan. Had a great time and the wheels are turning for next season.

Offline south

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Barry,

Thanks for the opportunity!  This was just what we needed to confirm some of our hunting strategies as well as learn some new ones first hand.

Please thank Susan again for all her hard work and wonderful meals, and for allowing us into her "messy" home.

The whole experience was a pleasure.

Brett Southall
Ohio
Proverbs 29:11

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©