3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: You've made the shot.....  (Read 271 times)

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
You've made the shot.....
« on: March 20, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
What do you guys do for follow up on turkeys, assuming you didnt' see the bird go down or hear him fall over. Do you wait the customary half hour, or immediately chase after him to avoid losing the blood trail?
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: You've made the shot.....
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
If I haven't seen them actually go down I will back off and wait just like I would do on a deer.  Turkeys are tough birds, and if pushed will do their best to put some ground between you.  If hit hard they do tend to hold up at the first good cover from my experience.  I've waited as much as 3-4 hours before going after them if I am unsure of the hit.  

I recall one bird that ran all the way across a big field and into the woods on the other side. I snuck out and came back hours later.  He was just inside the woods where I had last seen him, still alive, but I was able to get right up him and finish it.  I have no doubt I would have lost that bird had I chased him too soon.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
Depends on the hit, cover, weather, time of day and probably a few other things.  A good hit in open field, I try to keep an eye on it and follow from afar if necessary.  If not such a good hit and heavy cover, I try to get a reading on its direction of travel, but will wait a half-hour or so before tracking if weather or light aren't a factor.  If they are, I might trail right away, or wait for the next morning.  On a good hit, most times they go down in sight. On those, I sit back in my blind, crack open a cold one or have another cup of coffee and light up a cigar and just enjoy the experience.  We only get one tag a season so no need to rush it.   :bigsmyl:

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
I hunt turkeys exclusively from a blind while bowhunting.  When I hit a turkey I immediately jump out of the blind and chase it if it flopping or limping off in any way.  I have chased down more than one turkey.  Break a wing bone or leg and they can't get off the ground.  I strongly suggest using a string tracker if possible, however if you need to shoot at one over 20 yards I suggest switching arrows I have found the string really drags down my arrow after 20 yards.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the heads up fella's. Good luck to all this year. I have heard to chase after them immediately, pretty sure I can outrun a bird lol. Course I hope I put the VPA 3 blade in the right spot and won't have to worry about it. My only concern with the string tracker idea is the tensile strength of the string, I worry about it breaking/the bird running too far and breaking the string. Any reason I wouldn't be able to get some heavy duty fishing wire and rig one up myself?

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
fishing line*

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
Has to be more turkey hunter's in here I would think.....

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
String Tracker, do a search on here or how too section. Inside 20 yds. they work!! I do Scott, if they are flopping or hurt pretty good, get out and get on them. If they run off at the hit, than mark them and let them lay up. If ya push a bird that runs off quick, he will as Whip said lay up in the first heavy cover unless he is with other birds than may try to keep up with them. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©