3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heavy poundage(for me) HH bow kicked my rear today. No handshock!!  (Read 611 times)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
My buddy Butch drove up today to flings some arrows and have a little BS'ing time.

He brought along a beautiful Howard Hill Half Breed 70" 62@28 because the bow was taller than he is...lol...j/k  The real reason is it was just more bow than he wanted to try to build himself into.

I had a couple of lighter wt bows that He had some interest in so we thought we'd get together and just see what worked out.

My 1st dozen or so arrows weren't all that far off the mark but it didn't take long for me to figure out the bow was getting strong and longer with each shot...lol

By the end of our shooting or when I told Butch...I was calling "Uncle!!" my rear end was dragging the ground.

My groups weren't too bad as long as I compared them to an open bore 12 gauge at about 30 yds...lol

Thank you Butch for taking your time to come visit, I always enjoy your company and I know you enjoyed watching me turn into a "girlie man"...lol

I'm not in my 20's,30' or even 40's any more and I need to stick with what I can shoot...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavy poundage(for me) HH bow kicked my rear today. No handshock!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
I know guys love those Hill bows, but even when I grip them right, they rattle my teeth and my bones. I have often said I like the mystique surrounding them but they beat me up bad. Shawn
Shawn

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
I don't shoot anything I need help stringing.....LOL   :biglaugh:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
Shawn, you must be a real sensitive delicate sort of guy!   :saywhat:  I'm almost 70 and love shooting my Hills and they don't shake me up at all.  Guess I must be a tough old buzzard.  :biglaugh:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
David, actually a pretty big dude butfor some reason I hurt all over after shooting them, pushing 50 I am. God Bless Ya! Shawn
Shawn

Offline nick straatmann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
Well I'm only 33 and just switched to the hill style bows and man do I love them! There's something about the simplicity and old school style that is just amazing. I can shoot these bows just as well as my old r/d bows. By the way mudd I just picked up a northern mist classic from stabow that is just awesome! I'll have to send you a few pics.
Let's not forget a big fat thank you to stabow. top notch guy to deal with

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
I know guys love those Hill bows, but even when I grip them right, they rattle my teeth and my bones. I have often said I like the mystique surrounding them but they beat me up bad. Shawn
X1000 Shawn. I think there is definitely a knack to calming them down, but I didn't find it before I cried uncle from a throbbing elbow.  Maybe I needed a heavy wood arrow.  Love the simplicity of them though.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
"My groups weren't too bad as long as I compared them to an open bore 12 gauge at about 30 yds...lol"

"I'm not in my 20's,30' or even 40's any more and I need to stick with what I can shoot...lol"

Mudd - I resemble those remarks!!

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
Shawn Ive shot a JD berry,Miller and Sunset hill and never felt much handshock of any of those. Cant speak of others I have not shot.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
I don't have issues with the potent Hill bows as long as I stay in shape. I am coming off an injury and just posted a thread asking for help in re-structuring my arrow selection due to a reduced draw length. So I have just this week been again reminded that you must work with heavier bows regularly and carefully to stay in condition to handle them well.

All that said, I would love to get my hands on a 62# Halfbreed.
Sam

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
Sam I am in great shape.... as long as round is still a shape..lol

God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Shape has nothing to do with it, I can still bench 270#s and can out walk anyone half my age. There is a knack to shooting them and there is no way of denying they have handshock. Hill even said that they had some handshock. Shawn
Shawn

Offline bluej

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
I agree with Shawn totally! If you like them, nothing wrong with that!

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
Mudd,
Glad I got a chance to visit. I always enjoy myself around you.

I hate to say that Roy was shaking toward the end of the session but, I've seen small dogs pass peach seeds and not shake like that!
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
I have a 52# hill that has more handshock than my 90# hill or 100# BAMA.  Don't know if it is having more tension at brace height, or if it is slight differences in the grip.  Some people it bothers, others it doesn't.  No biggie to me.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
The only time I notice the handshock in my Hill style bows I build is after I shoot a r/d bow for a while.  Once I've been shooting a Hill style for a while again, I don't notice the handshock anymore.  I kind of think there are two types of Hill shooters: 1) those that get use to the handshock, and 2) those that don't shoot them long enough to get use to the handshock.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
I don't see where Mr. Mudd said that the 70"er had hand shock, I take it that the pull was more than he has been shooting. For those that cannot tolerate the Hill hand shock try a bit higher brace, or a padded fast flight and bend that bow arm, letting the push of the arm or the kick of the bow top out your elbow will cause pain. For some a reflex timing develops that lets the bow have some room to do its thing without rattling the shooter.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
I have heard other people comment on the hand shock of the hill style bows. I notice a little while shooting, but to me it is far from teeth shattering. There was/is a little muscle adjustment when first shooting and shooting for long periods of time from my experience, but nothing has conditioned me more, bow wise, than my Hill bows. Shooting heavy arrows from my 53 lb Wesley is simply orgasmic. I suppose shooting light for poundage arrows could prove somewhat shocking for some.Love my Hills.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
More like a gentle thump than any kind of teeth rattling shock...

Mudd ol' friend, it ain't the the years but the mileage which takes the toll on us...
Who ever called this the "Golden Years" never lived this long...

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 06:35:00 AM »
I have never had any real issues with handshock, it's the heavier poundage that was whacking on me.

The problem really started after trying several times to weigh the bow with my hand held bow scale.
The couple of extra inches that I need to draw the bow to get my arrow back to the clothes pin that was my mark for 28" caused me more stress on my body than it wanted to handle.

I never gave any thought before today how much those extra couple of inches could impact on me.

Once I had overstressed myself then normal shooting became an issue as well.
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©